What's in your... (in bike) toolkit?

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
When I bought my bike, it came with a toolkit under the seat, and it's obviously not the OEM kit. I've noticed I probably wouldn't be able to do some simple jobs with the kit I have at the roadside (eg., it has a plug socket, but no Allen key to remove the wind deflector panel, so I couldn't get at the plugs!!).

I currently only ride for commuting or local fun, and have Europe wide breakdown cover. But I'm working on plans to spend more time on 2 wheels in continental Europe (probably next year). Paris & back would be easy in 4 days, for example.

I even have permission from the wife!!

So, I'm curious... What do you have under your seat to facilitate a roadside repair? What things might I look at purchasing? What ingenious solutions have you guys come up with?

Beginning in 06 in the US, Honda quit supplying tool kits with new 1300's. Can't speak for Europe. But this may help. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/07-st1300-tool-kit.46451/
You may be able to pick up a kit on Ebay. I would make up a set using a pair of pliers, plug wrench, JIS screw driver with flat bit, allen wrench, 10/12 mm end wrench and some plastic tabs.

When I bought my bike, it came with a toolkit under the seat, and it's obviously not the OEM kit. I've noticed I probably wouldn't be able to do some simple jobs with the kit I have at the roadside (eg., it has a plug socket, but no Allen key to remove the wind deflector panel, so I couldn't get at the plugs!!).

I currently only ride for commuting or local fun, and have Europe wide breakdown cover. But I'm working on plans to spend more time on 2 wheels in continental Europe (probably next year). Paris & back would be easy in 4 days, for example.

I even have permission from the wife!!

So, I'm curious... What do you have under your seat to facilitate a roadside repair? What things might I look at purchasing? What ingenious solutions have you guys come up with?

tire plug kit, mini air compressor, cell phone, credit card, insurance with towing service. not much that can be fixed on the side of the road without these items.

I have a tool roll that came with a 1985 Gold Wing 'Special Edition' that I bought new a long time ago (34 years - wow, time flies...). I've supplemented it with a few items - a complete list is below. I can do just about any maintenance task needed on either my 1100 or my 1300 with this kit.

I travel a lot - typically a month at a time all over Europe, and 2 to 3 weeks at a time in North America. I like to be self-sufficient in case I have problems. But, I think carrying a toolkit like this is kind of like getting vaccinated against problems - I have had very few failures on the road since I got my first ST in 2001.

Michael

My Toolkit

Contents

JIS screwdrivers, small & medium
Small slotted screwdriver
Several Picks
6 inch & 2 inch socket extensions, 1/4 socket wrench 6 inch extension bar
8, 10, 12, 14, 22mm sockets, (27 & 17 Honda wrenches & smaller Honda box-end wrenches are in kit)
¼ inch socket for hoses
Spark plug wrench
5mm hex key, 5, 6, 8 mm hex bits & adapter
Flat nose & offset needle nose pliers
Magnet on stick (large & small)
Valve measuring tools
Flex flashlight, blue flashlight in front pocket, inspection mirror
Magnifying Glass
Small side cutters & box cutter
Small Channel-Lock Pliers
Some latex gloves
Electrical tape
Moly (in tail of bike)
Fuses
Small adjustable crescent wrench

I also carry a Stop-N-Go tire plugger, and a small Amprobe multimeter.

Thanks for the replies folks, especially those that detailed all the contents.

CYYJ, at home, all my tools are "I wasn't asking grade." When problems arise, c workshops aren't too far away.

Facom Nano R360 1/4" Drive metric set
Honda 8mm/12mm & 10mm/14mm spanners
Honda screwdriver
Gerber MP600 Bladeless multitool
3/8 deep sockets with 1/4 to 3/8 adapter
1/4" tommybar
XRV650 spark plug socket
Motion Pro T6 combo levers and T6 Bead Pros

Not Shown
JIS screwdriver
1/4" breaker bar
Airman tour pump
Motion Pro RimShield II
Stop and go tyre plugger
Tyre valve stem puller

I have a factory tool kit in “Black Betty” plus an Airman compressor ( fits in left fairing pocket w/a Leatherman) and taped to the bottom inside the hard bags I keep an open end 17 and a 22 mm wrench to take either the front or rear wheel off if needed. Plus a “T” handled plug kit and CO2 cartridges.

Factory tool kit; tire plug kit (includes soapy water in a mini spray bottle); mini air compressor; leatherman tool; spare fuses; zip ties; road flare; hi-viz safety vest. I have owned my ST for 9 years and have only used the tire plug kit once.......to repair a puncture on my car tire

The Tracer came with a 12mm and a 14mm wrench. Bring your own allen keys. When it gets cooler I'll look for those bolts.

I build a kit as I go, buying small tools. I work from my tool bag when I work on the bike. If a needed tool has to be retrived from the shop box, it goes into the tool bag. Or buy a small version. So as I progress, any job I have done can be done on the road.
Plus a DB jump kit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom