Wheelies, Stoppies, Slides, Drifts, and Spins

Bike
2010 ST1300
This weekend, the Western Reserve Historical Society opened their BMW Centennial, a Symphony of Cylinders show. It was highlighted by BMW Brand Ambassador, Teach McNeil who put on a show of acrobatic stunts on a 1000RR, a G310, and another bagger that I did not recognize. His control of these heavy bikes was astounding. After asking for volunteers, he selected the museum's coordinator, had her stand in the middle of his 'runway' and raced towards her in a wheelie. He transitioned to a stoppie, pushed his head over the handlebars towards her and paused so she could lean forward and kiss his helmet before dropping back onto two wheels. He then stepped over the bike onto the left foot peg and did donuts around her with the rear wheel spinning, two fingers on the brake, grinning like the Cheshire cat.

I watched his technique as much as possible. He seemed to be doing most of the skids, slides, donuts, and stoppies with only two fingers on the brake, manipulating the throttle with his palm. Does anyone know if these bikes are stock or are the brakes and throttle modified? Clearly, throwing around a multi hundred pound bike like a bicycle takes consummate skill, but I was left wondering if he had enhanced brakes and something like a throttle tamer. Would simply taking all slack out of the throttle be suffficient?

Bike
R1200rt
This weekend, the Western Reserve Historical Society opened their BMW Centennial, a Symphony of Cylinders show. It was highlighted by BMW Brand Ambassador, Teach McNeil who put on a show of acrobatic stunts on a 1000RR, a G310, and another bagger that I did not recognize. His control of these heavy bikes was astounding. After asking for volunteers, he selected the museum's coordinator, had her stand in the middle of his 'runway' and raced towards her in a wheelie. He transitioned to a stoppie, pushed his head over the handlebars towards her and paused so she could lean forward and kiss his helmet before dropping back onto two wheels. He then stepped over the bike onto the left foot peg and did donuts around her with the rear wheel spinning, two fingers on the brake, grinning like the Cheshire cat.

I watched his technique as much as possible. He seemed to be doing most of the skids, slides, donuts, and stoppies with only two fingers on the brake, manipulating the throttle with his palm. Does anyone know if these bikes are stock or are the brakes and throttle modified? Clearly, throwing around a multi hundred pound bike like a bicycle takes consummate skill, but I was left wondering if he had enhanced brakes and something like a throttle tamer. Would simply taking all slack out of the throttle be suffficient?
lots of mods , pay attention to the brake & clutch set up

Bike
2002 ST1300A
They got tripple rear brake callipers. Actuated by an additional handle next to clutch. Big rear sprocket. Modified seats, rear subframe, handlebar & tank - to accomodate different seating/standing/hanging positions. Also improved oil sump, so oil is reached in the pan regardless of how the engine is angled during tricks. Probably some smaller tweaks as well.

Also skills & some balls:bump:

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Did you happen to see the size of the rear sprocket? Most stunt bikes I've seen have huge rear sprockets which I assume is to give lots of low speed control.
i did look at it, but it did not look unusual. There were custom, solid aluminum extra foot pegs bolted to the frame so he could stand on the back end of the bike or one side or the other. Beyond those mods, the bike looked stock, but again, i'm not that familiar w/ RR's.
They got tripple rear brake callipers. Actuated by an additional handle next to clutch. Big rear sprocket. Modified seats, rear subframe, handlebar & tank - to accomodate different seating/standing/hanging positions. Also improved oil sump, so oil is reached in the pan regardless of how the engine is angled during tricks. Probably some smaller tweaks as well.
Also skills & some balls:bump:
The RR had TWO rear calipers, one at 12 and one at 3 oclock - that looked strange but I did not know if that was OEM for a race bike or not. No additional brake lever, but the one he used seemed...sculpted - closer to the throttle than I'm used to. And this brake's movement was very slight - not like when I grabbed my ST's or VStrom's brake lever. Sump mods make sense, he rode that bike probably at a 60º angle, and yes, as said, foot pegs all over. And Teach himself was factory fitted with extra large cojones.
The bagger was likely BMW's new R18.
A friend has one, interesting but not my style.
I've taken an R18 out for a test ride. This bike had flat sides, with and inline 45 (I think), visually heavy styling and long, extended mufflers that dragged when he did wheelies. I wondered how many miles he got out of a set of mufflers.

Thanks @Al st1100

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Here is their pub photo....

The bike had additional pegs on custom brackets on either side of the pillion as well as down low.

Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 8.54.39 AM.png

Top Bottom