Which communication setup to use?

the thing about transmitting and recieving with any comm on a motorcycle (it's like a chain is only as strong as the weakest link). If all riders want good comm they all need compatible likewise systems that transmit and recieve well and the only way to do that is with quality components that are installed, matched and tuned correctly.

Agreed! Many different ways to have bike to bike comms, but the most important part is consistency and quality. Find what form works for your group...BT headsets systems, CB or GMRS/FRS then go out a get good equipment and install it properly...dont go cheap on comms. The difference between cheap and quality is very noticeable.

I ride with a large club and communication (for those that want it ) at the moment is CB.

At first we used gmrs radios with autocom systems and this worked both good and bad for large groups. Clarity and reliability was great. Distance then caused a problem of either talking over another groups coms or just clicking in and out the squelch on distant systems, quite annoying. Also some went cheap with standard mics and radios that introduced allot of noise with their transmission.

Then came the Goldwings, Harleys and Ventures with built in CB. CB because of its simplicity and ability to squelch down for short distance actually works great for club riding. Clarity in short distance is very good without talking over other groups. As a bonus it gives some versatility to contacting other riders on the road with CB without having to know a particular squelch code or compatibly with other systems. J&m with the correct mic quite clear.

Cb's not intended for motorcycle use worked but unless skillfully done not as good as a built in Honda Yamaha or Harley system. Then came the J&M Cb with its ease of use and ability to interface music and a intercom system arrived. Riders with midlands and other radios soon switched. J&M is the main system for the majority of bikes without a built in system now.

A good system when you are talking sends out only a clear noise free(as much as possible) transmission out to others or over your intercom. Your audio in your helmet should be noise free also. Mic should lower or shut off when not in use..

As others have stated motorcycle com environment is very harsh. Cheap generic type equipment usually does not cut it. Motorcycle com is a nitch industry and very specific to this environment and good system does not come cheap. Unless you are some kind of audio expert this would be difficult to accomplish the same level using lower level equipment.

Last edited:
What does this mean?

What I meant was that you do not want to transmit out ignition noise, overwhelming wind noise, and other system faults mixed in with your transmission, only your clear voice as much as possible should go out.. Also that you are not hearing wind noise or ignition noise, intermixed with your audio from your own system. It is hard enough to hear without amplifying noise to your headset. Your mic should shut off or lower when you are not using it. Your mic or system should have very good noise filtering in it. Much more than an generic off the shelf noise canceling headset. Listening to a bad system at highway speed is garbled and very hard to understand.

Last edited:
What I meant was that you do not want to transmit out ignition noise, overwhelming wind noise, and other system faults mixed in with your transmission, only your clear voice as much as possible should go out.. Also that you are not hearing wind noise or ignition noise, intermixed with your audio from your own system. It is hard enough to hear without amplifying noise to your headset. Your mic should shut off or lower when you are not using it. Your mic or system should have very good noise filtering in it. Much more than an generic off the shelf noise canceling headset. Listening to a bad system at highway speed is garbled and very hard to understand.

I was thinking you meant I needed to wear my aluminum foil hat while talking on the CB, I tried that many years ago and the foil kept flapping in the wind causing friction rub on my neck :eek:4:

I have a J&M bluetooth wired into the audio on the wing and receive phone calls with no problem... that may be the best option for the wing rider as it would serve him for more than the group rides. Heck, even his "Ball and chain" could get in touch... ah.. wait... maybe not. Never mind.

I have a J&M bluetooth wired into the audio on the wing and receive phone calls with no problem... that may be the best option for the wing rider as it would serve him for more than the group rides. Heck, even his "Ball and chain" could get in touch... ah.. wait... maybe not. Never mind.

That came out after I got rid of my last wing, wasn't sure how well it worked... thanks Vin!

Can you post the part number?

Vin, the J&M BT and a couple of Sena's for the STs could be very workable. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Can you post the part number?

+1! I got pretty confused looking through J&M's site. I saw lots of stuff that sent a signal to the iPhone but nothing that seemed to allow one to make calls/receive calls through the OEM headsets. (He may have J&M kit.)

Sorry brother .. not me selling .. just tryin' to help a brother out . You know savin' ya some dough so you can buy other people more Christmas gifts .... like maybe me ?? ... or will you be getting me the same thing you did last year ???????? ... ;-)

The SENA is the way to go take a look at the SMH10 or you can hang in and wait for the 20S
that should be out around Jan. 2014
with that you can all talk to each other take phone calls listen to your iPod or iPhone
PM me anytime for more info.
Dave

Top Bottom