Windscreen Adjuster Woes and FSM Inconsistencies

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Background:

Around 4 years ago I started having trouble with the fairly common "goes up but not down" issue. I did the clean/lube procedure and it was working well for about a year. About 2 1/2 years ago, it started acting up again so I did a full test per the service manual and everything passed (assuming the procedure was correct - see inconsistencies below). Shortly after, I replaced the windscreen adjuster assembly with a brand new one. It had been working fine until recently where it started exhibiting the up but not down symptom again.

Recently:

Tried cleaning the handlebar switch but it didn't help. Running through the tests again (pp. 22-32 thru 22-36 in FSM), there are inconsistencies between the service manual and my bike.

1) Screen adjust motor inspection - pass

2) Continuity inspection 1 - pass (but manual says there's a 6 pin white connector and a 9 pin black connector. My bike has a red 9 pin connector, a black 9 pin connector, and a white 4 pin connector)

3) Continuity inspection 2 - pass

4) Continuity inspection 3 - pass

5) Power circuit inspection - pass

6) Ground circuit inspection - all 4 green wires have continuity (on my bike there are 2 green wires to each relay connector). This is confusing because both answers to the "Is there continuity?" question indicate an issue. Yes is faulty screen up/down relays. No is open circuit in the green wire of the wire harness. What is the normal condition?

7) Screen adjusting switch test - manual says there's a 6 pin white connector and a 9 pin black connector. My bike has a red 9 pin connector, a black 9 pin connector, and a white 4 pin connector. Following the instructions by wire color, it passes the test, though I'm testing the continuity from the black to the red connectors.

8) Screen main relay - pass

9) Screen up/down relays - the service manual specifies connections to the green connector. On my bike there are 2 green wires to each relay connector. One passes the continuity test without battery to the orange/black or orange/blue connectors. The other passes the test when the battery is connected (pink/yellow or pink/blue).

10) Screen adjust motor - pass

After the tests above, I tried switching the up/down relays to see if it would make a difference. Both behaved the same way - it worked briefly both up and down, then stopped working at all.

Has anybody else experienced the inconsistencies I've noted above? Any ideas what to try next? I'm tempted to go ahead and buy an new switch and relays but I'd rather not spend money needlessly. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Your second to last question - no, I have not. Ideas...you replaced the mechanism that includes limit switches and connectors. If your connectors look good, (no browning of the plastic from excessive heat) they probably are good. However, you did not mention cleaning the handlebar switch. Try squirting some plastic friendly contact cleaner inside, or even opening it and cleaning it. I never did that, but place a white tarp or old sheet on the floor around the bike to catch errant parts and open it carefully.

Relays rarely go bad, but of course they do break. You should have a couple around just in case, and since most are the same 4 pin type, you should be able to swap the windshield relay with another one on the bike for a test. (I've not looked at the relays and don't know if they indeed are the same as the others.)

Other guys who have had problems and fixed them will chime in.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
However, you did not mention cleaning the handlebar switch. Try squirting some plastic friendly contact cleaner inside, or even opening it and cleaning it.
I forgot to mention that I tried that and added it above, thanks. I also added tests 1 - 6 that I initially skipped over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I looked on the parts fiche (https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f123f870021c54be63cf/switch-cable) and the switch shows two connectors - a 6 and a 9 pin. Mine has two 9 pins. I started wondering if my bike has an oddball wiring harness. Then I checked on ebay and all the used ST1300 left handlebar switches I saw have a red and black 9 pin connectors like mine, so I guess the FSM is just wrong. I found the up/down relays (Honda part #38502-MCS-G01) - #5 on Cowl Stay https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f126f870021c54be63f9/cowl-stay

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thank you for updating this, @RobbieAG !!
I find myself perusing old bike issues posted here, and think "this is something useful to know"... but then the thread just up and ends without resolution or closure.
Fairly certain this has increased my anxiety level over time, and I find myself having the occasional panic attack, that has never happened before becoming a member of st-owners.
Like, "What happened?!" "How did you fix it?!" "I GOTS to know!"
Don't you feel like @Mellow should give you an award or something? I do.
I kid.
Glad you got it taken care of; you were certainly methodical in your approach.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
It was disappointing and discouraging to discover the major discrepancies in the service manual. It had me wondering how long I’d want to keep this 17 year old bike, and maintain it. In most instances, someone on here would have run across it and helped. Not so in this case. Hopefully, my experience will help others, though I’m not sure I’ve cleared up the FSM errors. At least it gives people something else to try before replacing the adjuster and it’s much cheaper ($20 for both relays).

This appears to be like the issue I'm experiencing. I'll try the relay and see. Thank you, this was helpful.

Top Bottom