winter fueling

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I generally go through a tank of gas over the winter. No ethanol. Only time a use it. And no additives.
Just filled up. With Regular. Darn ...I forgot.
I have some old (5 years) Seafoam, Stabil and marine Startron. Do these additives loose their abilities after a few years or can I toss some in the bike? ST1100.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did you ask the manufacturers' support lines what the shelf life is for each product?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
IMHO, Seafoam being a petroleum based product, if the bottle is sealed it’s probably still good. Toss ‘er in Dean

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Dean, given all the nasty things that could happen to your carbs I'd just spend the $5 - $7 and get a new bottle of Stabil or whatever. Cheap insurance.

Some of the products you mentioned might be OK, but if not............, you know the incredible hassle it would be to remove your carbs and clean them.

Bike
2005 st1300
According to stabil... 5 years unopened, 2 years open
According to seafoam... Forever unopened, as long as the liquid is clear, if opened
According to startron... 2 years opened
If it were me and I was concerned about it, I would siphon off all the fuel in the upper tank, throw it in my auto, add some fuel stabilizer, either something you already have and want to use or buy some fresh stuff and then top up the upper tank with premium. I'm sure that fuel will get you through the winter even with the regular in the lower tank. It will all eventually mix or get used up first when you go riding. The regular fuel, even with the ethanol in it will last for months with no issues even without topping it up with the premium. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The important thing is to try and make sure the tank stays full all the time so that condensation can't form in the tank. If you ride the bike a bit through the winter you should still be topping it up.

Top Bottom