Worst case ST1100 coolant leak?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hi all,

The bike I have sat for many years in storage and, although beautiful, she is suffering from sitting so long. I have a coolant leak and it appears to me to be coming from the left front side of the engine. I looks to me like this could be coming from the water pump. That is not something I'm looking forward to dealing with.
Please have a look at the attached pic and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Perry20230903_150844.jpg

Could be the pump. Before getting into that you may want to check the hoses and fitting seals between the carbs and the top of the engine also, they've been there for 23 years or so.

I see hose clamps and hoses in your future.
If it's been sitting untouched for a long time the hoses will leak, they just do.
You won't know where it's coming from until you get into it.
Fill it up with water, run her up, pour a beer and wait.
Don't discount the expansion hose.
Upt.

not sure if a st1100 has the same water pump as the st1300 but I did a water pump job on my st1300 only to find out the radiator cap wasn’t releasing pressure, I pressurize the system up to 26 psi and that’s where I stopped, didn’t see any need to go higher. just my two cents . Remember when your looking for something you lost always look in the last place first.

No need to run the engine. Borrow the free pressure kit from AutoZone. BTDT Take your filler cap to help get the correct adapter. The water pump ‘tell-tale’ is coolant out the little rectangular weep hole.

John

Hi and a big Thanks! to everyone,

I did some further checking and it does appear that there has been coolant leaking from around the thermostat housing overflow tube. The hose clip was there, but actually off of the fitting. I guess no wonder it was leaking. I could not find an obvious coolant path from there to the other side of the engine, but stranger things can and do happen.
I'm ordering the new hose and a new radiator cap at the same time. I'm not going to mess with the thermostat itself for now unless they're notorious for failure. I plan to clean up the fitting on the t-stat housing real well and use some silicone grease and a much better clamp. That coolant had to be going somewhere, so I'm going to fix the hose connection, clean up every trace of leaked coolant I can find and keep my fingers crossed and my eye out for further leaks. Thanks again everyone.

Perry

Back
Top Bottom