Yuasa date of manufacture?

Anybody know how to decode the 8 digit number stamped on the Yuasa battery? I'm trying to figure out when a battery was make.

Don

Bike
'97 ST1100
What's the code?

I'm not familiar with Yuasa specifically, but batteries usually have a simple code stamped near the positive terminal. 'B5' (or a longer string of numbers ending in 'B5') would mean the battery was made in February of 2005

A thru L for the month . . . . the number for the year

Don

OP
OP
Here's what I do know. The stamped 8 digit number (on the top side of battery)is not a date code. There was a weak screened "MA1948" on top of my battery, this is the date manufactured.

I contacted Yuasa and they would not share the code system with me but they did offer to tell me the date of manufacture if I gave them the the code from the top.

So, MA1948 - translation: May of 2008.

I don't see the pattern on the translation from 1948 to 2008. I am trying to date my YUASA battery because it may be the cause of the problem with the instrument panel not showing the entire digits (see picture below). My battery has the "MU2048" (see picture below). What is the month and year this battery was manufactured. Thanks!

Here's what I do know. The stamped 8 digit number (on the top side of battery)is not a date code. There was a weak screened "MA1948" on top of my battery, this is the date manufactured.

I contacted Yuasa and they would not share the code system with me but they did offer to tell me the date of manufacture if I gave them the the code from the top.

So, MA1948 - translation: May of 2008.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I don't see the pattern on the translation from 1948 to 2008. I am trying to date my YUASA battery because it may be the cause of the problem with the instrument panel not showing the entire digits (see picture below).
If the bike isn't doing anything else unusual, I doubt very much that the battery is the cause of that problem.

As other have suggested in the thread about your missing digits, you've probably lost a couple of the lines that select those parts of the display. LEDs and LCDs like that are typically multiplexed to keep the pin count down and each segment is addressed by section and segment.

--Mark

RCS

I have the same issue. Just received a new Yuasa for my 1300. Code is OG0848 and I want to know the date of manufacture for my maintenance files. I contacted Yuasa with the question.

Mark, do you know if the missing LCD can be repaired? If it can; do you know where to get it fixed? If not; I'll have to fork out 7 bills for a new one.

Bob, you posted you are having the same issue; if you're referring to the missing LCD; did the new battery fixed the problem?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input and recommendation.

Steve.

If the bike isn't doing anything else unusual, I doubt very much that the battery is the cause of that problem.

As other have suggested in the thread about your missing digits, you've probably lost a couple of the lines that select those parts of the display. LEDs and LCDs like that are typically multiplexed to keep the pin count down and each segment is addressed by section and segment.

--Mark

RCS

Mark, do you know if the missing LCD can be repaired? If it can; do you know where to get it fixed? If not; I'll have to fork out 7 bills for a new one.

Bob, you posted you are having the same issue; if you're referring to the missing LCD; did the new battery fixed the problem?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input and recommendation.

Steve.
Steve:

I don't have a LCD issue. I agree with Mark that you may have a issue with the LCD panel and not the battery. The reason I say that is that 90%+ of the panel lights up fine and I assume the bike starts.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
A very old thread. 12 years after the last post, I came across it preparing myself for inspecting a new Yuasa battery.

It seems the date code isn't immediately available to the customer. But I discovered this info about the label on the rear of the battery.

1665644610694.png

The label should show the first recharge date for the supplier. Here it is shown as November 2015 on the right hand side.
Yuasa allow their batteries to be recharged twice before being sold. The crosses indicate that recharge has been carried out and mark the date for the next date that the battery must be recharged, 6 months later. In this case June 2016. When that recharge has been carried out, a notch in the label indicates the final date. September.

The battery must not be sold to customers after this notch dated has been reached. ie 9 months after the Recharge date on the side of the label.

I'm going to see whether or not my existing battery labels show this information.

Sources:

Clearer explanation

and Yuasa

Edit. So does my battery have such a label ? No it does not.
Maybe it was on the box ??

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Edit. So does my battery have such a label ? No it does not.
Maybe it was on the box ??
Cynical old me says maybe a less than scrupulous seller removed the label?

Having read some of the stuff on batteryuniversity.com about charging batteries, I have to wonder. According to that website, a lead acid battery should be charged slowly at constant current...I forget the rest of the details. However, the equipment to do this properly for ONE battery is quite expensive, far more than tool nut moi would spend. I don't doubt that Yuasa does it right before batteries leave the factory, and I would expect larger dealers did it correctly as well. I say 'did' because I always believed auto dealerships were the pinnacle of service, albeit at considerable cost, and in no little part due to unfavorable service to my cars at independent garages. Then I bought my ST1300 and joined this website. And had service problems with my local Honda dealership. My skepticism now encompasses more than just motorcycle dealers. I'll believe anyone does something right if they show me their shop and lets me watch.

I'm completing the purchase of hearing aids. While this is completely another subject, the lack of professionalism I found locally at 4 hearing centers from 'Doctors' of Audiology (I visited 5) is staggering. I'll be posting about that in the near future.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Its infrequent that I change the battery in my ST (about every 7 years), but I seem to recall that the few I've bought were dry and I had to add the electrolyte myself. I like that method because you know the battery hasn't been sitting on a shelf somewhere losing a year of its service life.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I'm completing the purchase of hearing aids. While this is completely another subject, the lack of professionalism I found locally at 4 hearing centers from 'Doctors' of Audiology (I visited 5) is staggering. I'll be posting about that in the near future.
Not to mention the rip off pricing of these needed devices!

Top Bottom