Z6 Question on ST1100

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Just a quick question. I had a set of Z6's put on this last week and have rode hmmmmm maybe 80 miles on them so far and the front still has a wishy-washy feeling. Is is not a wobble but kind-of a like hydroplanning with-out water. I'm running 36psi front and 42 rear. Anyone with an 1100 with this feeling please let me know so it's not in my little mind:confused:
Thanks and ride safe out there.

Ed :bow1:

number9

Ed, I have ran several sets of Z6 on my ST1100 and have not had any issues. If I remember right, there was another fella who put Z6 on his 1100 and has a slight wobble - I believe it turned out that either his stock steering bearings were worn and had a flat spot on them OR he had installed the tapered bearings and had them a touch too tight.

I usually run about 40psi in my front tire - try that and see if it makes a difference.

Also, what year is your bike, how many miles and are the stock steering bearigns still in it and have they ever been lubed?

I just put a pair of Z-6's on my 01. I felt the floating sensation for about 250 miles but now it seems to have gone away. It does get a little "floaty" in a trucks wake but thats it. The last set I had on were pretty squared off so I figured they had more contact area than the new tires so that was probably a consideration.
I am running the same pressures as you BTW.

OP
OP
EJ's 97ST
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks fella's. No.9, I haven't checked the bearings yet other than try and yank or move from having the forks free(when the tire was off). I just turned over 16,400K this AM. I have to find where I can purchase the spanner wrench that you are suppose to do the tourque with before messing with it to much.....thought's? thanks again. Ed

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
I noticed the same thing after about 1000 miles. Actually thought I might have a low tire and stopped to inspect,.....twice......

I have since learned to ignore it since I check my tire pressure regularly. I really thought it had more to do with the rain groves in the road because I haven’t noticed that feeling when on asphalt.

OP
OP
EJ's 97ST
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Just an add to todays Z6 question. I did check psi when I first rode in to home from work so to check heat build up in the tires. Front was at 38 so I'll pump it up to 40 and we'll try her again tomorrow. I did fale to mention that the radial is soooooo much smoother than the OEM's that that is certainly noticeable. I'm going to post the Exedra's when time allows with the particulars. Thanks again all for your posts.

Ed :D

OP
OP
EJ's 97ST
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Thought I'd let you all know that the Z6 are getting better. The front tire still washes just a tad but not near as bad. Seems to be worst behind cagers especially trucks. Up to 41 PSI front, 42 Rear and changing the rear tire dosen't seem to change the front.
Take care out there & ride safe..
Ed

Top Bottom