Zumo 660 Cradle Hacking or Pinout?

JZH

International Bodger
I've seen some good information in this thread, but nothing truly definitive regarding the Zumo 660 cradle connections (I'm referring to the 18-pole pogo connector between the cradle and the Zumo, not the cable connections between the cradle and the bike/helmet). A couple Web searches have also failed to turn up much. Has anyone seen anything online describing the pin assignments, or hacking the 660 cradle in general?

The reason for my query is that I would like to build my own wired Zumo remote control, similar to the handlebar controller used by the Honda-branded Zumos (aka "Gathers M G3", which has somewhat similar functions as the BMW Navigator IV cradle). See pictures below.

I know that the Honda remote control cable and handlebar controller can be used with the regular Zumo 550, and I already have the cable required to connect the 550 cradle to the remote controller (which I have recently ordered through David Silver Spares), but I have not yet been able to confirm that the Honda remote works with the 660, or if the handlebar controller is indeed the same part as it appears to be.

When I receive the handlebar controller I will be prying it apart to confirm the button circuitry, but my understanding from various Web searches is that the three buttons are an array that applies different levels of resistance on the blue and yellow data lines (those are the colours of the relevant wires in the Honda/Zumo 550 cable), as in the circuit shown below. This, in turn, tells the Zumo to Zoom In, Zoom Out, Speak, or Increase/Decrease Volume, etc., depending on which screen is in use at the time. These functions are not so useful on a 550, but the 660s don't have the external buttons, so a remote control capability could be very useful, especially if the GPS unit is mounted far from the rider.

I'm considering buying the Honda 660 cradle from Japan, which I could then compare directly to the standard cradle, but that would likely be a time-consuming and expensive process (even with the part number), so I'm hoping that the information on the pinout would obviate the need to do that. TIA for any tips, hints or leads!

Cheers,

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
I can't answer your questions but might be able to save you some money. There is a fairly high failure rate for the cradles so maybe someone has their old one you can experiment with. I had to replace mine a couple months ago but threw out the old cradle.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
JZH

JZH

International Bodger
I can't answer your questions but might be able to save you some money. There is a fairly high failure rate for the cradles so maybe someone has their old one you can experiment with. I had to replace mine a couple months ago but threw out the old cradle.
That's a great idea, thanks. I'll also keep an eye on eBay.

Cheers,

OP
OP
JZH

JZH

International Bodger
I've received the handlebar controller...tiny little thing. It appears to be sealed (which is a good thing for an electronic device intended for use on motorcycles!), so I will attempt to pry it apart before resorting to more destructive entry methods...

Ciao,

Attachments

OP
OP
JZH

JZH

International Bodger
Semi-destruction was the order of the day. For the record, the case is glued with a somewhat soft glue, and there are no plastic clips or catches: it just pries apart.

The circuitry is much more complex than I had expected, so I won't be duplicating it any time soon! However, I should have no problem incorporating the circuit board into my own application, and will simply solder wires to the existing switches, which I will then connect to my own switches. I already have the special cable (for the Zumo 550), which provides 12v power to the remote controller as well as data lines (blue and yellow) to the Zumo.

I was thinking about buying a Zumo 660, but now I think I might just wait for the next generation (assuming there is one!) and continue to use my trusty 550s for the time being.

Ciao,

Attachments

OP
OP
JZH

JZH

International Bodger
FYI, I can now confirm that the Honda handlebar remote controller does indeed work with a non-Honda Garmin Zumo 550. It only has three buttons (Arrow Up, Arrow Down and Speak), but they are useful if you have your Zumo mounted away from your handlebar, i.e., somewhere closer to your field of view.

I have not tested it with the Zumo 660, but my guess is that it would also work on that unit, provided you had the appropriate cradle, which, unfortunately, I have only been able to locate in Japan (part numbers are in the filenames on the pics in my first post). If I had a 660, I would probably just order one to find out if my guess is accurate, but since I don't... :)

Ciao,

Top Bottom