Colloquialisms

My wife is Irish and turteen it is. As in one, two, tree. Wurtless e-jut (that's me). Recipe ounces (grams) are weight measure, not fluid measure. For real confusion, ask how many ounces in a pint. 18!

Oh you're just making fun of us now. It is not so funny. See below a picture of the rear of the exercise books that we had at school when I was a kid. We had to learn and be able to use this stuff, and would have to do long addition, multiplication and division with what was many different number bases. Tons, hundredweight, stones, pounds, ounces, pennyweights, grains. 7 different column headings. Hundreds Tens and Units were a doddle.
Although I suspect that we were given those while the thick kids *. were still struggling with 4+5.

* this post contains the correct measures of cognitive competence that were prevalent at the time,

Billion - used to mean a million million when I was a kid, but we adopted the 1000 million at some point, but it was a gradual thing. There wasn't a specific changeover date that I remember. There was a date when it became law that we use metric measurements.
The financial system changed from pounds, shillings and pence to decimal on 15 Feb 1971. A cunning way of hiding the massive inflation that was taking place at the time. Few batted an eyelid at things that cost a shilling were now 10p - a 240% price increase.

So I still know that 40 old pence is Three and fourpence , 40d =3s 4d or 3/4 and 70 inches is 5'10"
and 30 inches is 2 shillings and sixpence, or half a crown.

But enough of this drivel. I'm off to ride my bike - a Honda ST-9 gill.

View attachment 333615
I did not see how many buckets in a cag. As in 'a redolent cag of dung'.

Oh you're just making fun of us now. It is not so funny. See below a picture of the rear of the exercise books that we had at school when I was a kid. We had to learn and be able to use this stuff, and would have to do long addition, multiplication and division with what was many different number bases. Tons, hundredweight, stones, pounds, ounces, pennyweights, grains. 7 different column headings. Hundreds Tens and Units were a doddle.
Although I suspect that we were given those while the thick kids *. were still struggling with 4+5.

* this post contains the correct measures of cognitive competence that were prevalent at the time,

Billion - used to mean a million million when I was a kid, but we adopted the 1000 million at some point, but it was a gradual thing. There wasn't a specific changeover date that I remember. There was a date when it became law that we use metric measurements.
The financial system changed from pounds, shillings and pence to decimal on 15 Feb 1971. A cunning way of hiding the massive inflation that was taking place at the time. Few batted an eyelid at things that cost a shilling were now 10p - a 240% price increase.

So I still know that 40 old pence is Three and fourpence , 40d =3s 4d or 3/4 and 70 inches is 5'10"
and 30 inches is 2 shillings and sixpence, or half a crown.

But enough of this drivel. I'm off to ride my bike - a Honda ST-9 gill.

View attachment 333615
I remember that. Man it's gotta be 70 years ago. Thanks for the memory. My English hasn't improved though,

My first bike I bought in1982 was a V45 meaning my 750cc was 45 cu in
So I call my 1300 a V80.
1100’s would be a V65
My first bike was a BSA C15. one cylinder of 250 cc's.

At least over there I could tell my mum I was going to go knock up a girl and not get in trouble :rofl1:
I've lived in Canada for almost 50 years come June 12th this year. Before that I lived in Wales.My old daddy was a milk rounds-man. He actually delivered milk from door to door. The first time my folks visited me here in BC my wife and I decided to throw a party to celebrate them being here. About 30 people enjoyed my dads dry wit and in the process explained to the group what he did to make a living, He mentioned he would rise very early in the morning, and because of this he became the official "knocker up" i.e. old fashioned alarm clock. One of his deliveries was to a well endowed widow where he proceeded to tell everyone that every morning around 5:30am he would knock up Mrs Jones,to give her a "Good start" to the day. Immediate silence around the group. Funny that!
Other fun things he encountered on his rounds was the notes left on the empty milk bottles on the doorstep. One note of renown was from a family who left a note which read. "Dear Milkman, please leave one bottle of milk and one orange juice please. And if this note blows away, please knock the door". Go figure.

Attachments

• The Milkman.jpeg
    The Milkman.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 23
Depends, was it an African swallow or a European swallow that dropped them? :rofl1:
Talking about depends reminds me of an old rider on an old horse. When asked what he wore underneath while riding, he was asked if they were boxers or briefs. Hi stoic reply was "depends"

Top Bottom