From North Carolina to New England: My Motorcycle Trip

Monday morning and my alarm went off at 7am. I had given myself until about noon or so before I needed to hit the road again and make it to my brother-in-law’s place in Vermont. So I wanted to get up early and spend what time I could seeing at least a small portion of Deer Isle.

I walked up to the main building for a cup of coffee. The owner, Dennis, constructed it several years ago using historical methods and materials. You can find videos of him on YouTube splitting gigantic granite boulders by hand, using just hammers and wedges, to construct the foundation blocks. They had pictures of the process posted and it was truly impressive to see how much a little man power and antiquated know-how can accomplish.

20210802_073829.jpg

Perhaps one of the most impressive feats of off-grid engineering is their shower. It’s a simple outdoor structure. Nothing much impressive about that… Until you discover their method for heating water. Sure, your eye is at first drawn to the propane stove and pot inside the shower. But then you notice the hose bibs on the wall, and you remember there is no running water on the property. So why are there fixtures in this shower? The answer lies on the other side of the wall, under a tarp. Here, Dennis has a hot compost pile with a large coil of poly-pipe wrapped up in the center of it. Yep. You read that right. Hot water for your shower sourced from compost. I suppose the propane is just there as back up for the winter months, or when there are more folks staying at the hostel than the compost pile can accommodate.

20210802_074039.jpg

As I continued to wander around the property, I saw a sign that said “Trail to Coast”. So set off to see where that would lead me. I later told Dennis about Mt. Mitchell, NC. It’s the highest peak east of the Mississippi and because of the altitude, the climate is entirely unique to anything else you’ll experience in the South. But the funny thing is, the ecology of Mt. Mitchell isn’t exactly southern… In short, walking through the woods of coastal Maine, I felt like I had travelled a thousand miles south to a much more familiar place. And that’s because there are so many similarities. If you’ve been in both places, I think you’ll know what I mean.

20210802_075141.jpg

Hiking through the nature preserve that sits adjacent to the hostel, you are struck by the meeting of two, no, three worlds. The coast of Maine at this latitude is very bio-diverse. The stands of conifers and blanketed forest floor of moss and needles gives hints of the boreal forests to the north, while the stands of oaks, maples, and beeches reminds the traveler he is not far from the more familiar eastern deciduous forests.

20210802_074944.jpg

Then, as the trail winds to the left, you get your first glimpse of the bay, the granite beach, and the turquoise water, almost iridescent as the incoming tide softly laps against the stones. I hiked a little further and sat down on a bench of pink-grey granite, the soles of my boots precariously close to the gentle waves. A low ceiling of clouds blocked the sun. I sat for a long while and just took in the scenery. I watched as the gulls, terns, and a solitary osprey cruised above the water in search of their next meal.

20210802_075355.jpg

20210802_075906.jpg

Alas, I had a schedule to keep and I wanted to head down to the harbor at Stonington before leaving the Isle. So I packed my things, cleaned my room, and said goodbye to my hosts and the other travelers staying at the hostel. In a few minutes I was at at the harbor, watching the lobster boats load up with supplies for the day’s work ahead. I assume the barrels contained bait to reset their traps after the bounty of the previous soak was removed. I often feel like I could enjoy a life as a ship-hand upon the waters, be they on the coast of North Carolina or anywhere else I’ve had the opportunity to sit and watch the boats. But that’s probably just naiveté. That’s a hard, unglamorous life. Not quite what they make it out to be on the reality shows. Perhaps best to just watch from afar…

20210802_100117.jpg

20210802_100500.jpg

Stonington is a neat little town, and one that reaches back to the history of Deer Isle. The night before I had read about the island’s history. According to Wikipedia, "In the 19th century, the granite industry flourished on Deer Isle where its quarries supplied granite for structures such as the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Smithsonian Institution, the US Naval Academy, the Manhattan Bridge and at President John F. Kennedy's tomb at Arlington National Cemetery."

I never would have imagined that such a relatively small place would have such a nationwide influence as a source of granite in the prior century.

But after talking with Dennis, he made it make sense for me. I had never considered the fact that in the earliest days, there were no rail lines or roads by which to transport the massive slabs. So it made sense to quarry the stone by the sea where it could be efficiently loaded onto ships and taken to wherever it was needed. “But,” I asked, “how did such a small island provide so much granite for the buildings its listed as being part of?” “Well,” Dennis relied, “they cut the entire mountain top off of one of the Islands, and now it’s just a little hill…”

He went on to tell me the story of the end of the granite quarry there. In an attempt at conservation of energy, the stone was delivered to the ships via a small gauge rail line with a nothing more than a large cart and hand brake. The granite was loaded on the cart and coasted down the hill to the waiting ship. Men unloaded the cart, and mules hauled the cart back up the hill to receive its next load. You’ve probably already guess what eventually led to the end of that particular system. One day, the hand brake failed, sending several tons of granite straight through the hull of the ship waiting at the dock below. They ship sank, and the quarry closed.

20210802_102256.jpg

As I headed off the island, I had to stop for one more photograph. Yesterday I had crossed the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and marveled at the engineering of the unusual structure. But there’s another bridge that you must cross to get onto Deer Isle. And that one has an equally interesting story, which one of the other travelers at the hostel related to me. Apparently it was constructed using methods and materials that were largely untested in that time (1939), and the builders used the opportunity as a sort of learning experience before going on to build a much larger bridge using the same design methods. I’m no engineer, but anything that can stand the test of time with minimal repairs since it opened for use 82 years ago is pretty cool in my book.

20210802_111448.jpg

Having made my last stop before leaving the island, it was time to put some miles behind me on my way to my brother-in-law’s place in Vermont. The mileage wouldn’t be so bad, but it was still going to be a long day in the saddle, enjoying the back roads of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 11.16.02 AM.png

As if I wasn’t stunned enough the previous day of the natural beauty that is New Hampshire, this sign as I left Maine made me chuckle enough to turn around and grab a shot of it. Thanks for the heads up NHDOT! Unfortunately I didn't see any moose on this trip. Thankfully I didn't have an close calls with any other animals either. The nearest I got to anything resembling a close call was when an black bear ran across the street a hundred yards or so in front of me somewhere in Vermont. I slowed down to see if any of his family or friends were with him, but nothing else came out of the woods, so I carried on.

20210802_151819.jpg

That evening around dinner time I arrived at my BIL’s place. He is gutting and renovating an old hunting cabin for he and his wife and their soon to arrive firstborn to live in. He owns 37 acres of pristine wilderness and has been working around the clock to get the home livable. We cooked hamburgers and veg on a little outdoor gas grill, as there’s no power, no fuel, no nothing connected yet on the property.

20210802_183614.jpg

20210802_191919.jpg

As the sun was setting, I hung my hammock between two trees in his front yard. I joked earlier in the day with my wife that I found it mildly ironic that after spending the night in a real bed in a real room at the hostel, I was really looking forward to sleeping in my hammock once again. He opted to inflate an air mattress and set up his bed inside the house. It would be his first night sleeping at their new place.

20210802_194623.jpg

We sat by the fire and talked until well into the night. Around 11pm we walked out into his field to look at the stars. We were both dumbstruck by the sight overhead. With no light pollution and no neighbors, the Milky Way was plainly visible, as were countless thousands of stars. We each exclaimed “Shooting star!” simultaneously at least 3 or 4 times, fortunate enough to have both seen them streak across the otherwise motionless sky. After a few minutes I pointed out a fast moving orb of light. Much too fast to be an airplane and moving at a constant arc across the sky. “It’s a star-link satellite,” he said. He, a tech guy, went on to tell me about how Elon Musk’s satellites are only a couple hundred miles up and might very well provide high speed internet to anyone, anywhere on the planet. I had never heard of them and he had never seen one with the naked eye. Before our necks began to cramp, we saw two more. I wish there was someway to have captured a photograph of that night sky, but that’s one which will have to reside in the memory banks alone…

Around midnight we said goodnight. I crawled into my hammock continued to gaze out at the night sky through a clearing in the canopy overhead until sleep overwhelmed me and I drifted away…

To Be Continued.

Last edited:
That night, the temperature in central Vermont dipped down to 42 degrees. My hammock was insulated from below with a closed cell foam sleeping pad, seen in numerous photos strapped to the pillion seat of my ST. Above me I was using a Mountain Hardware 20 degree down sleeping back as a top quilt. I had forgotten to bring any type of warm hat to keep my head insulated, but no matter, the sleeping bag was a mummy bag, so I just threw the head portion of my entire face / head. I was perfectly cozy in my hammock in spite of the unseasonably cool weather. Meanwhile, my brother-in-law froze all night long on his air mattress. The hammock was now 3-0 against sleeping indoors. I was quite pleased.

Although my hammock / sleeping setup had kept me warm throughout the night, in my efforts / haste to reduce my load for the trip, I hadn’t brought a jacket or even so much as a long sleeve shirt. I suppose I could have worn my motorcycle jacket, but with all the extra armor, layers, and zippers, it was a bit cumbersome to move about in. Instead, I boiled water to make a couple of cups of coffee to help warm us up.

20210803_080306.jpg

After coffee, my BIL showed me around his property. Sadly, I left my phone sitting on the front porch in an attempt to catch some signal and give my wife an update as to my whereabouts and wellbeing, and thus did not capture any photographs of his land. We walked through the property and I repeatedly told him how jealous I was of the natural beauty he was surrounded with. It really felt like he’d bought a home smack in the middle of a national forest. But there it was, 37 acres to call home and do with as he pleased. Perhaps one day I can say the same…

Around lunch time I said goodbye and hit the road. I wasn’t sure where I was going. Niagara falls was a consideration, but to be quite honest, I was growing a bit road weary (mostly due to my ambitious schedule and missing my family). I sat at the nearest gas station for the better part of 30 minutes studying Google Maps, looking for a place to spend the night. I punched in numerous destinations and they all seemed to take me too far for a comfortable ride when setting out at nearly 1:00 in the afternoon.

So, in spite of my desire for variety, I settled on heading back to the multi-use area in New York where I’d spent my first night on the road. I suppose the certain of the familiar trumped the allure of the unknown. Oh well. I entered the coordinates in my GPS and hit the road.

Regrettably, I didn’t take a single photograph of the countryside that day. Vermont, undoubtedly photogenic, passed by in an endless succession of hills and hollows, mountains and valleys, villages and pastures. I thought about Ben and Jerry as I passed the black and white milk cows in the pristine farmland, and Bernie Sanders as I blew by the medical marijuana dispensaries. I thought about a lot of things, but mostly I thought about how beautiful Vermont was, and how I could easily see myself occupying one of those farms.

Around 6pm I arrived at my campsite in New York. Once again there wasn’t a soul around. This time, there wasn’t even any paper in the fire pit to belie the solitude I felt. I hung my hammock, fiddled a bit with the bike, and set to work gathering blowdowns and deadfall for the evening’s fire. I told myself I would wait until the sun was mostly set before lighting the fire, as I didn’t want to stay up too late, and I hadn’t gathered too terribly much wood.

To pass the time, I sat down on the ground by the fire pit with my copy of Jupiter’s Travels and my pipe; the former to occupy my mind, the later to dispel the mosquitos.

20210803_185527.jpg

After a few chapters, the sun had set. It was time to light the fire and prepare dinner.

20210803_200112.jpg

I didn’t realize when I purchased the backpacking meal several days previously, but tonight’s dinner was not freeze dried, but rather more of an MRE style meal wherein one utilizes water and a chemical reaction to head the food pouch. It was decent. My first and only beer of the trip helped.

20210803_201242.jpg

Afterwards, I sat by the fire and considered the distance I had already covered and what lay ahead. Would I head west to another campsite in West Virginia as I had planned? Would I head south to a state forest in Southern Virginia? Where would tomorrow take me? After 4 days on the road, what did I feel up to? I wasn't sure, but watching the sun set behind the trees reminded me that no matter what I chose, I was damn sure enjoying the solitude, the serenity, and the scenery... This trip had been everything I had hoped it would be and more.

20210803_201821.jpg

I must admit, the non-freeze dried dinner was tasty, but the portion size left much to be desired. Thankfully I had foreseen such circumstances. I had remembered the Dunkin Donuts attached to the nearby gas station, and on the way in, had stopped to purchase desert. As a southerner, I must say I prefer Krispie Kreme, but DD would do in a pinch…

20210803_204003-1-jpg.279767

As I sipped my beer and munched my donuts, I thought about the following day and formulated a plan. Google was predicting 8 hours of back roads to either wilderness site I was contemplating camping at, and another 6-7 hours to home the day after that. But, if I stuck to interstate, it would only be about 9 hours of highway riding to make it home the next evening. By now I had learned to add at least 2-3 hours for fuel stops and rest-breaks to Google’s timeline. But I figured rather than spend 2 days meandering home, I would blast my way there in one concentrated effort the next day. I decided not to tell my wife as much and surprise her the following evening when I rolled in, exhausted and a bit crazy, but home!

So I went to bed and set my alarm for 6am once more.

I awoke to the sing-song digital tones of my phone’s alarm the next morning in the half-grey light. I got up, packed up my things, brewed a cup of coffee, and readied myself for the arduous day ahead.

By 7am I was headed south once more on the Taconic Highway. “Enjoy it while you can” I told myself. Today I would leave the wilderness and secondary roads behind… Battling the hoards on I-81 would occupy my every waking moment for the next 8-10 hours. Thankfully, it was an uneventful journey south. Rest stops here and there, numerous fuel stops, energy drinks, crappy meals, and stretches in parking lots in New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, and finally Virginia… talked to a few fellow cyclists on the way… A few Moto Guzzi enthusiasts at a rest stop in PA… A BMW MOA member in the middle of a traffic jam somewhere in Northern Virginia… A Harley rider at a random gas station… The motorcycling community never ceases to impress.

The highlight of the drive was escaping the heat and slow down caused by an accident somewhere up ahead at a Sheetz in Virginia. I enjoyed an iced tea and a couple of bratwursts. Ah, the simple pleasures of life… HA!

20210804_145502.jpg

Finally, after another tough day, much like my first day, of nearly 13 hours, I rolled into my driveway. My family, unaware of my early arrival, was out of the house visiting some friends up in town. Coincidentally, they were on their way home at the same time and actually saw me turning at the red light closest to our house. “There’s daddy!” My wife exclaimed to the children. And sure enough, there aren’t many wineberry red ST1100s in my neck of the woods. They followed me home the last mile and a half and greeted me almost as soon as I coasted into the garage and cut off the bike. I was greeted by hugs and questions faster than I could even get my gloves and helmet off. With 5 kids and a fantastic wife, there’s no shortage of eagerness upon your arrival home.

20210804_200413.jpg

5 days, 9 states, nearly 2500 miles. But most importantly, countless memories… I had done (safely no less) what I had set out to do. I couldn’t believe how far I’d come, or how much I’d experienced in the preceding days. I was beyond grateful to my family for giving me the freedom to take this trip, to my wife for keeping things running smoothly at home, and to my ST1100 for running flawlessly for so many hours in such a relatively short span of days.

Getting away is nice, but getting home to the people who make it all worth while is nice as well. After another long day on the road, I was exhausted, but bursting at the seams with stories and experiences.

Thank you for coming along with me and letting me share my excitement. The community of riders near and far is like an extended family. I could have reached out to may of y’all before leaving for tips, advice, and even places to stay I’m sure. But I wanted to do this one on my own… However, in the back of my mind I knew I had you guys as a safety net should things go sideways, and for that I’m thankful as well…

For my final installment, tomorrow or next week sometime, I’ll offer some reflections on some things I learned and some thoughts that entertained me along the way, as well as some challenges you might perhaps help me to overcome before my next journey.

Until then, thanks for coming along for the ride!

Attachments

• 20210803_204003 (1).jpg
    20210803_204003 (1).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 398
Wonderful write up and pictures. You really captured your first motorcycle adventure and sure covered a lot of ground and activity. It was fun to follow along. Now you’ve been bitten by the motorcycle travel bug, planning the next one will even more fun.

My riding this year has been rather dull and uneventful. And a lot less than normal. Thank you for allowing me to travel along vicariously and enjoy the wonder of exploring virtually with you. I have travelled extensively through Vermont and New Hampshire, plus attended a STOC event in Maine, but it was fun to experience it through someone else's eyes. And I echo Sadlsor's comment about the photo with your daughter.

Well folks, as promised, I wanted to give one final entry... A recap of sorts. Things I observed and learned along the way.

First and foremost, I learned the allure of life on the road. I can completely understand how some folks (with less family / life demands upon them) quit their jobs, get on their bikes, and go riding around the world for months or years on end. Even after just 4 nights on the road without any real modern conveniences like television, electricity, indoor plumbing, etc, I was starting to feel more in tune with the world around me and less disconnected by things like staying up too late watching pointless crap on Netflix, drinking too much because you’re staying up to late, feeling poorly the next day as a result of both, and just the general “blah” feeling you get from doing the same thing day in and day out. Being in a new place every day, having a different destination or goal in mind was refreshing and gave me something to set my mind to. As I said, it’s not hard to see how this could become a lifestyle.

While on the road, I decided there are essentially two types of people in the world. Those who get over as soon as they see a sign that says “Lane ends, merge Left/Right” and those who see the sign, pass it, and wait until the cones are actually within sight before leaving the lane that’s dropping. The same is true in regards to slowing down for construction zones, flaggers ahead, or any other sort of sign. Some folks instinctively obey the sign, whereas others wait for visual confirmation that the sign isn’t just the remnant of the previous night’s work that is no longer actually present in the road. I don’t know what that says about personalities / psychology, but I’m pretty sure there’s some deeper character trait on display there.

Also, “Speed Limits” are a farce. We know it, the police know it, and even the DOT knows it. In Virginia, on I-81, i laughed out loud at the signs directing truckers where they can and can’t be. If you’ve ever spent any time on that road, you know that it’s a major artery for shipping from the southeast to the northeast. Just about everything that doesn’t go up or down the coast on 95 must go through 81. Because it’s only 2 lanes in each direction, they can’t really say “No Trucks Left Lane”. Interestingly they don’t even say “slower traffic keep right”, although I guess they might, but I didn’t notice it. Instead, they say something, more or less, to the effect of “No trucks in left lane when operating under 70MPH.” Well, the “Speed Limit” is 70… So DOT is mandating that you be speeding if you’re going to be in the left lane. That just made me chuckle. I mean. We all know there’s an unwritten rule that if you’re not doing at least 3-5mph on the interstate over the limit, you’re probably impeding the steady flow of traffic and no cop in the country is going to write you a ticket for such an infraction. But to see it actually spelled out on the sign basically saying, “You better be speeding if you’re going to occupy the left lane!” just made me laugh.

Next, I learned that I have to be able to strike a balance between back roads and interstates. Back roads are nice, and seeing new towns and places is great. But I can only sit through so many stop lights and stare at the back of some beat up pick up truck doing 37 in a 55 with no passing zone anywhere in sight before the appeal of staying off the interstate starts to wear on me. I need to figure out a way to travel distances that lets me mix the two so I don’t feel burned out on either.

Before leaving, I did a lot of thinking about what to take and how to pack it. I am happy to say that I didn’t overpack. I purged everything I didn’t think I needed, and In reality I still probably took a couple things I didn’t really need, but I wasn’t too far off the mark. Recently I saw a picture of a gal doing a cross country trip on a vintage Harley chopper (hard tail rear, stretched springer front) and her luggage is literally piled higher than her head on the back of the bike. I cringe to think how poorly that bike must handle. I took 1 change of pants, 3 pair of underwear, 3 pair socks, 2 T Shirts, a pair of crocs to give my feet a break from my boots, hammock, rain fly, sleeping bag, travel pillow, sleeping pad, rain suit, extra set of gloves, toiletry kit with tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, Advil, Benadryl, body powder, my pipe and one tin tobacco, backpacking size first aid kit, MSR whisper light stove, mess kit, 1 fuel bottle, 3 backpacking meals, 1 pack of backpacking pour over single serve coffee, bike cover, 1 large stainless steel water bottle, 1 pack of granola bars, 1 bag of mixed nuts, 1 pack gum. I’m probably forgetting something. But that’s basically it. Everything except my sleeping pad fit easily, albeit a little snug, in my factory panniers and Givi top case. I could have gone a lot longer than 5 days on that kit. And since I wasn’t leaving known roads or areas, I wasn’t too concerned about breaking down and not having some special tool on hand. I knew help wouldn’t be too far away should I need it.

Lastly, I learned what a capable machine the ST11 really is. It never so much as hiccuped in 5 days of constant riding. The engine is so unbelievably smooth. Almost no vibration to annoy you after hours in the saddle. And even though it’s not the fastest bike on the road, it has all the power on tap you need to pass a semi or beat an entire row of cars on an uphill stretch with a “slow vehicle turn out” lane on the right. It’s fun in the twisties and rock solid on the highway. I won’t self-incriminate as to my usual speed, but lets just say I made good time and didn’t get any tickets, so there’s that.

On the downside, I also learned that my knees and legs in general don’t agree with the riding position after more than a couple of hours. I'm 6'1", around 275lbs, with a 32" inseam. I have the Motorcycle Larry Highway Blades, and I utilized them A LOT to move my lower half into different positions, stretch, take pressure off certain areas for a while, and put them on others. They were a life saver. But I couldn’t do more than about 200 miles at a time without really needing to get off and walk around a little. Also, the Saddleman seat that I have just sucks by the end of the day. My butt was sore and my inner thighs felt almost bruised from the pressure that was on them all day. Multiply that by 5 days and every bump in the road was painful by the end. I will need to make some big changes before I attempt another such trip. Which leads me to my last consideration…

Is the ST11 the right bike for me long term? If I’m honest, I love the bike’s mechanical ability / reliability. But as it is, I don’t think my knees / lower body is going to win me over to the riding position for this type of long distance trip again. So I’m facing some decisions. Do I spend money on a new seat like a Russell Day Long? Do I look into lowering the pegs or raising the bars even more? (I already have Heli-Bars and they’re pretty much maxed out on the high / back position.) Or do I look for a different style of bike altogether? I’m leaning towards the later, but would love your input.

I have been looking at FB marketplace off and on for a while looking at BMW GSs trying to get an idea what a good deal on one would look like. I’d never ridden one, but I kind of figured that they had to be more upright / more leg room than the ST. Yesterday morning, I happened to check, and there is a 2007 r1200GS for sale about an hour south of me for just shy of $5k. I called him up and went down last night for a test ride. It already has the Russell Day Long, and although the aftermarket Wilbers suspension has been lowered a little, I immediately felt like my legs were less cramped up underneath me. I know some of y’all have switched over to a BMW. What do you think? Any advice you have either way would be greatly appreciated.

As always, here’s some eye candy for you…

20210811_192959.jpg

20210811_193157.jpg

Very nice warp up of your trip.
Not sure if you've given the ST enough time to bond. Different folks have different builds and seat requirements. The more you ride the tougher your hide gets. Of course you are going to get ST biased nudging here, but I've not ridden a BMW GS so can't appreciate it like you did. Although I sure like the yellow on it.

Good luck with your decision, as I know with a big family (how can you manage 5, we have 2 and wow, just total respect!) and little time to get away, you want to enjoy each minute.

Is the ST11 the right bike for me long term? If I’m honest, I love the bike’s mechanical ability / reliability. But as it is, I don’t think my knees / lower body is going to win me over to the riding position for this type of long distance trip again. So I’m facing some decisions. Do I spend money on a new seat like a Russell Day Long? Do I look into lowering the pegs or raising the bars even more? (I already have Heli-Bars and they’re pretty much maxed out on the high / back position.) Or do I look for a different style of bike altogether? I’m leaning towards the later, but would love your input.

I have been looking at FB marketplace off and on for a while looking at BMW GSs trying to get an idea what a good deal on one would look like. I’d never ridden one, but I kind of figured that they had to be more upright / more leg room than the ST. Yesterday morning, I happened to check, and there is a 2007 r1200GS for sale about an hour south of me for just shy of $5k. I called him up and went down last night for a test ride. It already has the Russell Day Long, and although the aftermarket Wilbers suspension has been lowered a little, I immediately felt like my legs were less cramped up underneath me. I know some of y’all have switched over to a BMW. What do you think? Any advice you have either way would be greatly appreciated.

Try this site out to compare riding positions on a variety of bikes. While having your bum in a seat to try one is always best, this will at least give you some idea up front how it should feel compared to what you know. You can compare bikes, adjust for passenger, bike alterations etc.

I've yet to ride a bike long distance that I didn't want to get off of after 100 - 150 miles to walk around. It's certainly not specific to the ST1100. I do find that the 1300 is a bit more spacious than the 1100 where I found my knees frequently hitting on the back of the fairings. That being said, I still found it comfortable enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000 without issues. Mine had a Corbin seat which I did find uncomfortable so I put the Honda seat back on. I've only heard good things about Russell Day Longs, so that might solve your problems (I've never wanted to spend that much money to find out). Another thing to consider is the suspension. The stock suspension is sprung for a rider in the 150 - 175 pound range, so having yours re-sprung for your weight might help a lot. The BMW does look really nice.

Thanks for the write-up, I thoroughly enjoyed it. You weren't far from me when you spent the night in Pleasant Valley, NY. You were knocking down some good mileage. Hope to do some moto camping in the near future.

Thanks for the write-up, I thoroughly enjoyed it. You weren't far from me when you spent the night in Pleasant Valley, NY. You were knocking down some good mileage. Hope to do some moto camping in the near future.

Man you're not kidding I was close! I just looked at it on the map. You have some pretty scenery around you.

Thanks for the write up. Sounds a lot like my recent trip to South Dakota. In spirit anyway.... I just felt I had to go some where.
I have a 1300 and have never been on an 1100, so I can't make direct ergonomic comparisons, but my butt is still healing from the 8 day trip with 500-700 mile days. I also had issues at the end of every day with my knees. You and I are very similar size, at least for most of my life. I lost 60 pounds a few years ago and that truly has helped my comfort. I had the highway pegs on my bike, but took them off since I didn't find them comfortable. I wished I had them on this trip though just to be able to move.
Just as you, on my return home I am thinking a new bike. I am also leaning toward an adventure bike. Mostly favoring the Super Tenere for reliability. I might keep the ST just for two up riding though.
Post up what you decide on the bike. I am interested to heare.
Thanks again for the trip report!

Everyone was astonished that I had come so far in just 2 days, on a motorcycle no less. I thought about the contestants in the recent Iron Butt Rally and didn’t let the comments inflate my ego.

This made me chuckle as I rode in that event. It's not as hard as people think when you are focused on getting to your next destination (bonus). Don't sell yourself short, you had some long days in the saddle. When/where is your next adventure?

Well, it's April of 2024, and I've just now read your incredibly well written description of your trip to Maine and Vermont. I've lived in NC my entire adult life, but I grew up in Stowe, VT. In Sept of 2023 me and a friend rode from NC to Nova Scotia and back, including stops in both VT and Maine. We came through Deer Isle on the way back! An incredible trip. If you're still getting notifications when someone posts, PM me sometime and we can compare notes. Glad you had a great trip. Northern New England beauty is hard to beat.

Well, it's April of 2024, and I've just now read your incredibly well written description of your trip to Maine and Vermont. I've lived in NC my entire adult life, but I grew up in Stowe, VT. In Sept of 2023 me and a friend rode from NC to Nova Scotia and back, including stops in both VT and Maine. We came through Deer Isle on the way back! An incredible trip. If you're still getting notifications when someone posts, PM me sometime and we can compare notes. Glad you had a great trip. Northern New England beauty is hard to beat.
Fond memories! I ski bummed in Stowe before i went to college!

Fond memories! I ski bummed in Stowe before i went to college!
Yeah, I read that you went to school up there. UVM, Norwich, St. Mikes? I grew up on skiis on those slopes in Stowe. It was a great place to grow up. The mountain has really changed in the last couple of decades.

If you get up into Maine be sure to go to Madawaska and their motorcycle park. They will even send you a certificate saying you were there. The most northeast city in the US. Considered one of the four corners. Then head up to Fort Kent for Mile Marker One. Beautiful country!
IMG_6008.jpgIMG_6013.jpgIMG_6015.jpgKent for Mile

Top Bottom