Article [13] ST1300 - Maintenance Lid Removal

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here are some pics:

If you have the Fairing Deflectors it looks like this, left arrow to the access panel and right arrow to the Maintenance Lid:

attachment.php

Take a small object like a screwdriver and push the center of the push-pin in and you'll feel it 'pop'.

attachment.php

Then, pull the push-pin out

attachment.php

If you don't have the fairing deflectors, this is similar to what it will look like:

attachment.php

Pull the bottom of the access panel outward, if you don't do this and try to pull from above, you'll break off a tab:

attachment.php

Now, pull down on the access panel and it will come away from the fairing:

attachment.php

Now, put your fingers in the slot on the rearward part of the Maint Lid and pull outward. It's a very tight fit, some bikes not as tight.
You may have to wiggle it a little but you should feel it give just a little, there is a rubber grommet there that you are pulling away from the pin

attachment.php

Now, you and start pushing the Maint Lid towards the front of the bike, sometimes it doesn't take much effort and sometimes you need to pull from the front part of the Lid

attachment.php

attachment.php

Below, with the Maint Lid removed, you can see the attachment points so the next time it will be easier to visualize:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,783
  • IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,677
  • IMG_1331.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,638
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,670
  • IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,651
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,625
  • IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,657
  • IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,625
  • IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 2,639
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 2,914
Last edited:
Re: ST1300 Maintenance Lid & Overhead Cover Removal

thanks abunch new to the st 1300 had a goldwing and a 1000rr

Re: ST1300-Maintenance Lid Removal

I always place a little silicone spray on the maintenance lid rubber parts to help the next time. :smile:

Thanks

Can you get touch up paint for the lids in case they get scratched?
Posted via Mobile Device

Like mentioned, I lube the rubber grommet that goes over the peg... a small wipe of grease does make it a bit easier to pop off next time.
(btw, reminds me of pulling the side covers off the old 750s...a pain to watch it flex)

Does anybody know what the part # is for the Push Pin things for the Wind Deflectors? I think they're a little longer than the stock ones and I need one. Any help would be appreciated

Mark

Thanks for this info, too. Was changing my oil for the first time, trying to save money, and I ran into this thing. The manual is horrible in trying to explain it. The pictures worked wonders, though!

Does anybody know what the part # is for the Push Pin things for the Wind Deflectors? I think they're a little longer than the stock ones and I need one. Any help would be appreciated

91549-MWO-790ZA
(2)-Top of front lower cowl
(6)-Front edge of inner cowl

90116-MCS-G00
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(2)-Lid fairing. Spark plug/oil fill cover.
(2)-Top rear edge of the lower

90657-SBO-003
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(4)-Bottom front of fairing & lower cowl
(2)-Top rear edge of inner cowl
(2)-Rear fender Most people have not even seen these.

Mark

91549-MWO-790ZA
(2)-Top of front lower cowl
(6)-Front edge of inner cowl

90116-MCS-G00
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(2)-Lid fairing. Spark plug/oil fill cover.
(2)-Top rear edge of the lower

90657-SBO-003
(4)-Windscreen cowl
(4)-Bottom front of fairing & lower cowl
(2)-Top rear edge of inner cowl
(2)-Rear fender Most people have not even seen these.

FYI... No, the 90116-MCS-G00 does not fit once the fairing deflectors are installed. It is the correct diameter, but is too short. The fairing deflectors come with a longer version of the 90116-MCS-G00 push rivet...I am unaware of the part number of that longer push rivet. (Maybe someone else has it?)
:)

Does anybody know what the part # is for the Push Pin things for the Wind Deflectors?

Here you go if you are still monitoring this;
RIVET, PUSH 08P73-MCS-80015 (replaces 64383-MCS-A31) $1.67 each.

You can make a small modification to the plastic silver-colour piece that fits over the oil fill cap and the right hand side spark plugs that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace the cover when you want to add or change oil.

I can't take credit for this, Larry (@Igofar ) taught me this trick.

If you look carefully at the top of the right side cylinders when the cover is removed, you will see that there is only one attachment point at the aft end where a single rubber grommet fits over a stud. But, the silver plastic cover has two "holes" at the aft end - one with a rubber grommet to fit over the single stud, and another "hole" that is not used at all.

If you take a small cutting tool and snip off the forward half of the unused "hole", that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace this cover. Doing this will not affect the security of the cover, because the "hole" without the grommet does not serve any function.

The photos below should explain things better:

There's only one stud that the aft end of the cover fits onto (the rubber grommet grabs this stud)
Cover 1.jpg

If you snip off the forward part of the unused aft hole in the plastic cover, it will be easier to remove and replace
Cover 2.jpg

Its been a long time since I had to work out how to do this. Very useful for new owners though.
I find that if you put a thin smear of rubber or silicone grease on the single rubber grommet on the cover, and on the two locating pads just forward of the oil filler cap, the cover is easier to fit and much easier to remove.
I did worry at first that this might enable it to come off by itself, but I have done this for many years and it stays securely in place.

Here are some pics:

If you have the Fairing Deflectors it looks like this, left arrow to the access panel and right arrow to the Maintenance Lid:

attachment.php

Take a small object like a screwdriver and push the center of the push-pin in and you'll feel it 'pop'.

attachment.php

Then, pull the push-pin out

attachment.php

If you don't have the fairing deflectors, this is similar to what it will look like:

attachment.php

Pull the bottom of the access panel outward, if you don't do this and try to pull from above, you'll break off a tab:

attachment.php

Now, pull down on the access panel and it will come away from the fairing:

attachment.php

Now, put your fingers in the slot on the rearward part of the Maint Lid and pull outward. It's a very tight fit, some bikes not as tight.
You may have to wiggle it a little but you should feel it give just a little, there is a rubber grommet there that you are pulling away from the pin

attachment.php

Now, you and start pushing the Maint Lid towards the front of the bike, sometimes it doesn't take much effort and sometimes you need to pull from the front part of the Lid

attachment.php

attachment.php

Below, with the Maint Lid removed, you can see the attachment points so the next time it will be easier to visualize:

attachment.php
You can make a small modification to the plastic silver-colour piece that fits over the oil fill cap and the right hand side spark plugs that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace the cover when you want to add or change oil.

I can't take credit for this, Larry (@Igofar ) taught me this trick.

If you look carefully at the top of the right side cylinders when the cover is removed, you will see that there is only one attachment point at the aft end where a single rubber grommet fits over a stud. But, the silver plastic cover has two "holes" at the aft end - one with a rubber grommet to fit over the single stud, and another "hole" that is not used at all.

If you take a small cutting tool and snip off the forward half of the unused "hole", that will make it a lot easier to remove and replace this cover. Doing this will not affect the security of the cover, because the "hole" without the grommet does not serve any function.

The photos below should explain things better:

There's only one stud that the aft end of the cover fits onto (the rubber grommet grabs this stud)
View attachment 253855

If you snip off the forward part of the unused aft hole in the plastic cover, it will be easier to remove and replace
View attachment 253856
Thanks for this mod. First oil change yesterday. After struggling to remove valve cover made this cut along with giving plug wire a turn it went on easier than removing. Also O ring lube on grommet.

Top Bottom