ST1300 TOPM BOX SPOILER

Bike
ST1300 2002
Hello again. I,m looking to install a new top box spoiler with "led brake lighting". Are there any problems with regards to stability when the spoilers are fitted or are they an improvement aerodynamically as well as visually. Any reports good or bad?

Regards to all
Joe

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the effect is all cosmetic. I just couldn't get over the price myself. 10-20 dollars worth of material selling for $400.

Nope, not this guy.

Can't say from a comparison point of view, but I've not experienced any of the handling issues that others report with the Top Box alone. For my money (and I don't have much) can't beat the way it looks. If you spring for one, make sure you check out the installation/wiring instructions on this forum. The instructions that accompany it follow the typical ambiguous Honda pattern.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39091&highlight=Top+Box+Spoiler+Installation

Thanks for the relies. For the record I managed to purchase this one colour matched to my bike, plus wiring harness for 109 pounds sterling (not sure how much this would be dollar wise). I hope it will prove to be a pretty good investment. I purchased it from Dave Silvers Spares (England), however the price varies depending on which colour you require? Some are going for 175 pounds. Thanks again.
Joe

There's a write up on the spoiler fitting here...

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39091

The instructions that come with the spoiler and wiring harness look like they've been photocopied a hundred times and as such are not too clear. It all adds to the fun. There's no gromet on the wire that passes from the spoiler into the top box, so a bit of bath sealant has prevented leaks so far.

Personally I think the spoiler finishes the bike off nicely, and the visibility of the tail end is much improved.

Definitely a very noticeable brakelight, but just rediculously overpriced. If Honda imported it directly it probably would be half the price.

I'm not willing to spend on the wing what an entire Givi trunk costs. I am considering doing an LED strip like SnoweyOwl did here:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44337

Could set it up with amber ends for turn signals, and a dual function center section for tail and brake for a bit over $100. Less if you want brake only.

I also put a Signal Dynamics Light bar under the back edge of my Hondaline Topbox mount. Cheaper still, and at eye level for most cars (thought not SUVs).

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46519

'All cosmetic'? Hardly. It puts a wide brake light ON THE DRIVER'S EYE LEVEL. I consider it the most important safety feature on my bike, period.
ST1300-2.jpg

Its still not worth $400 when you can do the same thing with a Givi for a lot less. What's the total for the box and spoiler, something like $800?

:06biker: I had a BEST top box sent to me for $59.00, plus $20.00 for shipping and handling total cost $79.00. It's not as big as the Honda Top box, but it has the lights built right in it. I like the looks and of coarse the COST. :) :)

Last edited:
'All cosmetic'? Hardly. It puts a wide brake light ON THE DRIVER'S EYE LEVEL. I consider it the most important safety feature on my bike, period.

Sorry, guess I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the aerodynamic affects. Probably need more coffee before I start posting.

I couldn't agree more about the lights safety value due to their placement. Your point is well taken.

ST1300-2.jpg

+1

I got mine a couple months ago from DSS. Yea, it was pricey, $973 for both including shipping.

The Givi might be cheaper but, I've never heard of a Honda top box falling off on the road. :eek:

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the effect is all cosmetic. I just couldn't get over the price myself. 10-20 dollars worth of material selling for $400.

Nope, not this guy.

Here is the way I see it. I bent over and got the $400 spoiler for the topbox. It really completes the look. I also got the arm rests (I haven't put those on yet....lazy).

Beyond the looks, I really like the extra brake light that it provides for me. It's like that extra brake light required on all cars now in the middle up high on the rear "dash". It allows the person behind to to not to have to look down to see you hit your brakes. It can increase their reaction time by a few seconds, and a few seconds at 80mph+ is a lot of distance.

The lights on the ST are nice and big and very visible. A plus many friends of mine appreciate when they ride w/ me. They hate bikes w/ teeny tiny LED marker lights as signals where you can barely tell they are working in the sunlight. The only issue is that it is all centrall located "under" the top box when the top box is installed. The topbox will pull the driver's attention up to the top away from your brake lights so the spoiler clears up that issue.....they'll be staring at a bar of bright red LED's when you hit the brakes.

So for $400, I get peace of mind, generous amounts of storage space, a great backrest for my wife when she is on the back and a "good" looking bike. It's a one time shot and done deal. ...you won't even miss the $400 once a few weeks go by. It takes so long to get it shipped anyways, by the time you get it, you would have forgotten that you ordered it LOL!!!! My top box and spoiler were sent 2 weeks apart from each other and sat in US Customs for 8 weeks before it was released on top of being back ordered for a total of 11 weeks before I saw my $1000+ dollars back LOL

You had to wait 18weeks for delivery? :eek:

I sure do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling now. I ordered the top box and spoiler from DSS on 6/23. The spoiler and wiring harness are in stock but still waiting on the 06 top box (Back Order) I did ask that DSS ship it all in the same box to save some on the shipping cost:( cost for mine $973

Finally got round to fitting my spoiler, and a definite quality improvement cosmetically. Couple of things though: The instructions are crap and very basic. The instruction sheet mentions to drill 9.5 mm fixing holes and then fit the collars washers and screws. You will need a 10.5mm drill if you want to fit the collars. The connectors are very flimsy and difficult to crimp tightly, and there is not much cable length on the existing rear brake light looms. I had a difficult job removing and replacing the brake lamp holders with quite a bit of swearing going on in the garage.
Anyway the deed is done and I am now a happy camper. Thanks to all for your imput and especially for the installation photo,s. Great forum . Thanks Mellow/
Joe

You had to wait 18weeks for delivery? :eek:

I sure do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling now. I ordered the top box and spoiler from DSS on 6/23. The spoiler and wiring harness are in stock but still waiting on the 06 top box (Back Order) I did ask that DSS ship it all in the same box to save some on the shipping cost:( cost for mine $973

I must have gotten lucky when I ordered my 08 model back in March. Placed the order on a Friday and received the package here in the Great White North on the following Wednesday.

Then my wait began. I couldn't buy the bike for another 4 or 5 weeks 'cause the Honda shops didn't have them yet.

For me the cost was not an issue (heck, I was spending $18K on the bike what was another $1200?) as I had gotten rear-ended last Aug 27 on my CX. Increased visibility was the prime objective. The fact that the box and spoiler sure look sweet on the bike is just a huge bonus.

I didn't like the idea of running screws, even short ones, from the inside toward the out. What I did instead was use the adhesive blocks used with zip ties instead. I cut out the two side that the wire would run over to allow it to sit inside and then zip tied it with small zip ties through the other two. I hope this makes sense. The adhesive on these blocks has held up very well as in they are still there. I have had to replace one of the zip ties because it broke.

All is good in the universe now, top box and spoiler made it to my home a couple of weeks ago. All installed along with the 08 side panels I ordered from Honda. I would like to thank everyone for all the posts this was a great help in my installation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom