Too much?

Hi to all ST riders out there... My question is simple: is 190,000 kms (120,000 miles) too much for the 2003 ST1300 ABS I'm looking at? Its seems a bargain. It's in great condition. But would I be buying a problem rather than a pleasure? Many thanks to you all for any contributions.

Bike
VStrom 650
John,

Welcome from Northumberland, England.
What's a problem?
You could buy a new bike that proves unreliable or is subject to recalls, you could buy a ST13 that goes :nuke1: the next day. The ST could also run like a Swiss watch for the next ten years.
If you do buy the ST you will have to open the tool case from time to time on routine maintenance, the dealers are probably going to be clueless and disinterested in working on a 21 year old bike.
If you can operate a ratchet and don't mind devoting some time to general care you should be OK.
Check the service records, the bike should have had plenty of fluid changes if it's been looked after correctly with the big issue normally being brake fluid neglect. Read up on the SMC on here before you commit.
Good luck.
Upt.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
If the bike was well maintained, it could be a dependable ride for miles to come. You can get an idea with a quick visual inspection.
Any warning lights illuminated? If so, you may want to pass.
Has it spent it's life upright or is it scratched up? That's a quick visual...could be costly if you want to replace scratched or broken plasticwork.
Has it been 'attended' to? Grab a flashlight and look at the bike thru the various vent holes. If the plasticwork has not been removed for inspection and cleaning, the evidence will be there....dirt, rust, corrosion on hose clamps and electrical connectors.
Any fluid leaks? The troublesome leaks will be visible on the bottom of the engine.
With the bike on the center stand, simply spin the rear wheel by hand, Does it drag...should rotate at least one and a half revolutions with a brisk spin? That could indicate caliper rebuilds are due or a secondary master cylinder issue.
If she's ok with these few checks and you're happy with the way it rides and sounds, consider it.

I bought one recently (2007 model) with 115,000 miles on - yes , it needed TLC (nearly finished) .... and won't be an easy thing to sell in the future (at sensible money) , but it seems to ride nice , and will go on for a long time yet ... I have no concerns about the miles.
If the price is right , and condition reasonable .. just buy it

OP
OP
John,

Welcome from Northumberland, England.
What's a problem?
You could buy a new bike that proves unreliable or is subject to recalls, you could buy a ST13 that goes :nuke1: the next day. The ST could also run like a Swiss watch for the next ten years.
If you do buy the ST you will have to open the tool case from time to time on routine maintenance, the dealers are probably going to be clueless and disinterested in working on a 21 year old bike.
If you can operate a ratchet and don't mind devoting some time to general care you should be OK.
Check the service records, the bike should have had plenty of fluid changes if it's been looked after correctly with the big issue normally being brake fluid neglect. Read up on the SMC on here before you commit.
Good luck.
Upt.
Greetings and thank you from
Margaret River SW Australia. Been to your part of the world. Friendly folks. Difficult accent. Appreciate your intel. Taking a look at the bike tomorrow. Will know more then. Wasn’t even on my radar but a friend sent the advert and so I started researching. Many thanks for sage advice.

OP
OP
If the bike was well maintained, it could be a dependable ride for miles to come. You can get an idea with a quick visual inspection.
Any warning lights illuminated? If so, you may want to pass.
Has it spent it's life upright or is it scratched up? That's a quick visual...could be costly if you want to replace scratched or broken plasticwork.
Has it been 'attended' to? Grab a flashlight and look at the bike thru the various vent holes. If the plasticwork has not been removed for inspection and cleaning, the evidence will be there....dirt, rust, corrosion on hose clamps and electrical connectors.
Any fluid leaks? The troublesome leaks will be visible on the bottom of the engine.
With the bike on the center stand, simply spin the rear wheel by hand, Does it drag...should rotate at least one and a half revolutions with a brisk spin? That could indicate caliper rebuilds are due or a secondary master cylinder issue.
If she's ok with these few checks and you're happy with the way it rides and sounds, consider it.
Great advice thank you

OP
OP
I bought one recently (2007 model) with 115,000 miles on - yes , it needed TLC (nearly finished) .... and won't be an easy thing to sell in the future (at sensible money) , but it seems to ride nice , and will go on for a long time yet ... I have no concerns about the miles.
If the price is right , and condition reasonable .. just buy it
Appreciate the help

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Howdy from Alabama, not much to add to the wisdom here, except to confirm there are plenty of examples of high mileage ST's.
I'm loving mine.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Low mileage is actually more of a concern on these motorcycles than high mileage. Further to that, most people on this site don't consider 190,000 kms (120,000 miles) high mileage for an ST1300. Condition, whether or not it was abused, and whether or not routine maintenance was performed are much bigger issues than mileage.

Have a look through the below article. It will give you an idea of what you might want to look at and ask about when you go to see it.
Maintenance Items Needed for a New (old) Bike

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Low mileage is actually more of a concern on these motorcycles than high mileage. Further to that, most people on this site don't consider 190,000 kms (120,000 miles) high mileage for an ST1300. Condition, whether or not it was abused, and whether or not routine maintenance was performed are much bigger issues than mileage.

Have a look through the below article. It will give you an idea of what you might want to look at and ask about when you go to see it.
Maintenance Items Needed for a New (old) Bike
I concur - the ST has been an extraordinarily durable bike and so 120,000 miles is not too much IMO as long as the maintenance has been done and you don't pay too much for it.

The other thing to consider is: how much are YOU going to ride it and for how long?

When I was a boy, I rode nearly every day and I rode as far as I could every time I got on the bike. I was putting 30-50,000 km / year on my bikes, but nowadays, I ride perhaps once or twice a week during the summer and I only take one or two "long" trips each year. That adds up to about 10-12,000 km a year total (that is about 6-7,000 miles, more or less). That annual total will likely go up when I retire shortly - but not to the levels of my youth.

So - a bike doesn't need to last me another 100,000 miles to serve my purposes, and as I said, if you get that ST1300 cheap enough...it'll do fine. I certainly cannot justify sinking $25-35,000 into a brand-new super-duper touring bike for the amount of riding I will ever do.

The only reason I sold my ST1300 and bought the 1983 BMW R100RS was because the Bimmer weighs about 220 lbs less than the Honda and my legs are getting a little more tired. Otherwise, I'd still be on the Honda and smilin'.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Several of my cars were only 1300cc engines. If you think about it, you have a car engine in a motorcycle that weighs a fraction of what a car weights. That engine isn't working - it's loafing along, barely stressed. It could last your lifetime and be handed down to your kids.

Chris

Ditto on all the above, mine has 122000 miles and has given me no trouble, just means to pay attention and look closer. Personally I have seen very few motorcycle engines worn out. it is the peripherals that need the attention the most. Daboo hit it right, mine will be here longer than I will and still ready to go.
One thing that I think will help and I know this sounds weird, but here goes. Take a bucket and soap go over and wash it dry it and fire it up. That gives you a chance to get a little intimate and see it close up. Worse is the guy will have a clean bike when you are done.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
That's about 9500km per year, which is about average. As mentioned, that's not too much and there's many samples of Hondas with much, much more. Maintenance is key to longevity. Along those lines, definitely get pre-purchase inspection and have competent shop inspect:

- engine compression, really tells you lots about historical maintenance and cumulative wear
- no ECM codes
- brakes, pad life, fluid condition, rear brake drag which is common issue with these bikes if maintenance isn't up to date
- suspension, damping ok? no pogoing, ride straight no-hands @ 150kph
- wheel bearings
- tyres

All these can added up to thou$ands in required immediate repairs if not OK.

Top Bottom