Colorado in September

STOC #
My riding buddy an I are hoping to ride to Colorado and stay for 3 or 4 days doing the various passes. Probably won’t be able to do this until September. Is this a good time of year for weather, traffic etc?
Thanks

What I know is, RawHyde Adventures will be training riders in the mountains that time of year.
Weather is varying, but still riding season.
Can't speak to the traffic, reckon that varies too.
Might shout out to @ChucksKLRST ... had he told you how much he loves riding Colorado?

My riding buddy an I are hoping to ride to Colorado and stay for 3 or 4 days doing the various passes. Probably won’t be able to do this until September. Is this a good time of year for weather, traffic etc?
Thanks
I've done CO trips in the 1st half of Sep and was fine and roads all good. However, it's mother nature so just be prepared for alternate routes in case the weather changes... I always try to plan 2 or 3 routes that are all good rides but slightly different directions in case the weather causes issues.

Likely ok, likely beautiful scenery too. But possible frost/icy patches in the morning, and possible snow flurries during the day.

Be prepared with layers under 'waterproof' gear (or heated gear underlayer). Also be ready with a weather app, and ready to change route plans as the day unfolds.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Likely ok, likely beautiful scenery too. But possible frost/icy patches in the morning, and possible snow flurries during the day.

Be prepared with layers under 'waterproof' gear (or heated gear underlayer). Also be ready with a weather app, and ready to change route plans as the day unfolds.

We might be able to get there by Aug 31. If we plan for next year when is the best time of year? Planing on staying in Montrose and doing day rides from there.

This was 2012 but it was the last time I went through CO in Sept - mostly the southern side then into UT.

Yes, What Baker Boy says. Always plan to have three types of clothing in the Colorado mountains. Hot, Rain, Snow. Also Mt. Evans closes the day after Labor Day weekend, and you will need reservations for Mt. Evans, Rocky Mountain Nation Park (Trail Ridge Road), and Pikes Peak. Have safe and fun travels

Yes, What Baker Boy says. Always plan to have three types of clothing in the Colorado mountains. Hot, Rain, Snow. Also Mt. Evans closes the day after Labor Day weekend, and you will need reservations for Mt. Evans, Rocky Mountain Nation Park (Trail Ridge Road), and Pikes Peak. Have safe and fun travels
Thanks. Ps I do follow your love riding CO thread. Just makes want to get out there more!

Thanks
I think that's a multiple choice question:
A: Yes
B: No
C: Maybe
D: All of the Above
Answer: D(ding-ding-ding-ding) :rofl1:

September and October are great months, IF the weather holds. I rode the Western Slope and Utah late October last year. Absolutely gorgeous weather throughout the state. I think the year before that(?) we got our first snow right after Labor Day. Just keep an eye on it and make adjustments as necessary. I think a lot of visitors ride the central mountains, but further south and west are great options if things get a bit dicey more northward. Pikes Peak is open year round, weather permitting. I think they stop reservations after Labor Day.

Best of luck. Take pictures. Post them!

Back
Top Bottom