Highway Pegs

I'm only good for 3 hours or so without a break in the stock position before I start getting leg.
Standing on the pegs helps, but that only gives temporary relief, and I'm hunched over to reach the bars.
Am considering the PSR "Blades".
They look like they won't affect carving twisties when the time is right, but should offer a more comfortable posture for those relaxed long straight interstate rides.
I'm hoping for comments from folks who've third them, or any other ones that won't get in the way and start dragging aggressive turns.

Thanks in advance.

I'm only good for 3 hours or so without a break in the stock position before I start getting leg.
Standing on the pegs helps, but that only gives temporary relief, and I'm hunched over to reach the bars.
Am considering the PSR "Blades".
They look like they won't affect carving twisties when the time is right, but should offer a more comfortable posture for those relaxed long straight interstate rides.
I'm hoping for comments from folks who've third them, or any other ones that won't get in the way and start dragging aggressive turns.

Thanks in advance.
With regard to you being hunched over to reach the bars . Have you considered fitting a handle bar riser ?
I bought one from an American firm called Heli Bars . They make very good quality risers to suit many different bikes . I bought one specifically made for my ST1300 and it not only raises the bars by 2 inches it reduces the reach by 2.5 inches . With no need to change anything else, it works perfectly with all the original cables and wiring .

I had the MCL version 1 and version 2 highway blades on my bike. I never ended up using either one much. For one I did not like the air blowing up my pant leg. I got more than air up there, and had a bee once, it was not pleasant. Also they did not work when cornering at any brisk pace, you had to not use them on turns or they would drag with your foot on them. I too have to bend over to reach the bars when standing but it works to relieve the butt after a few hours of sitting, try holding onto the bar with one hand and stretching the other arm out. A seat that is comfortable all day is worth its weight in gold but you do have to stretch out the legs once and a while.

I've had both. I have the MCLs on a standard ST and the PSRs on a police version. I honestly haven't tried hard cornering with the pegs out but I've had no issues with them in. I removed the PSRs because I didn't use them very much (also because that bike is becomming more of a "local" bike). In fact, last summer, I did a 2500 mile road trip and never really used them. Part of the reason is that the bike has the wind deflector kit installed and that makes it a bit uncomfortable to "wrap" your legs around (although the longer length of the PSR certainly helps). Also, I think a back rest would be benificial.

I'm leaving on a similiar road trip in a couple of days using the MCL-equipped bike, which I've got a back rest for. I'll report back later.

I'm just thinking out loud here. 3 hours straight riding! I wish. Maybe an hour and my knees are exhausted. On a heavy day in the gym I can squat #315 pounds. I need to address this knee issue for long rides. I envy the guys that can just riiiide......forever without issues. Let's clear the air, this has nothing to do with my age, heh. Have a nice day ST'ers.

I put floorboards and attendant foot controls on my GL1000 back when. Having my thighs and shins at an approximate 90º angle in regular riding position keep my legs comfortable for a lot longer than on my ST. Floorboards also made standing stretches very comfortable. I did stretch my leg forward once in a while but not nearly as often as on the ST.

If the pegs on the ST could have been moved forward just a few inches I think I would be noticeably more comfortable and for longer periods of time. I've got the MCL blades of some version. They allow for a stretch that helps me but they don't offer a comfortable riding position so seldom get used. They're a clever idea that just doesn't work well for me.

Maybe some kind of pull back bars and seat that allows me to sit back a little farther would reduce the slight acute angle of my legs. But I have to just say no to pullbacks.

My GL had slightly taller bars than my ST even with the Helibar riser installed so standing stretches didn't require any bending. I've seen a couple YT videos where some have been cited for "stunt riding". Wow. Most rides have never had me going longer than three hours or maybe a little more because of fuel stops. I may have hit four hours without a stop but that was pushing fuel to "bingo" so to speak. Most of the time fueling at two hours and a soda break keeps my legs happy.

3 hours straight riding! I wish. Maybe an hour and my knees are exhausted.

What do you mean when you say your knees are exhausted?

FWIW, I have MCL Blades, along with a Russell Day Long Saddle. Now that I've returned the bike to otherwise stock ergonomics (got rid of the Heli bar riser and MCL seat riser), it's extremely comfortable for about six hours of nearly continuous riding. Somewhere around eight hours, I start running the risk of hamstring and maybe glute cramping. The MCL Blades provide a nice stretch, and they shift the contact point on my butt just enough to give relief after a LONG day of riding.

The Blades feel really sketchy at first, like your feet are going to pop off at any second. I got more confident over time. I still only use them for brief stretches on straight or nearly straight roads. In the closed position, they never drag. In the open position they might hit the ground during aggressive cornering, but I did forget them during regular curvy road riding and never ground them.

IMO, you want your weight carried on your thighs in addition to the sitz bones. Because of this, I want foot pegs at the stock location or even further back. The most uncomfortable bikes I've ridden for long distances had seats that were narrow and pegs that were too far forward, meaning that all my weight was right on my sitz bones. On those bikes, I quickly found myself putting my feet on the passenger pegs to get some relief.

What do you mean when you say your knees are exhausted?

FWIW, I have MCL Blades, along with a Russell Day Long Saddle. Now that I've returned the bike to otherwise stock ergonomics (got rid of the Heli bar riser and MCL seat riser), it's extremely comfortable for about six hours of nearly continuous riding. Somewhere around eight hours, I start running the risk of hamstring and maybe glute cramping. The MCL Blades provide a nice stretch, and they shift the contact point on my butt just enough to give relief after a LONG day of riding.

The Blades feel really sketchy at first, like your feet are going to pop off at any second. I got more confident over time. I still only use them for brief stretches on straight or nearly straight roads. In the closed position, they never drag. In the open position they might hit the ground during aggressive cornering, but I did forget them during regular curvy road riding and never ground them.

IMO, you want your weight carried on your thighs in addition to the sitz bones. Because of this, I want foot pegs at the stock location or even further back. The most uncomfortable bikes I've ridden for long distances had seats that were narrow and pegs that were too far forward, meaning that all my weight was right on my sitz bones. On those bikes, I quickly found myself putting my feet on the passenger pegs to get some relief.

Exhausted was the incorrect word........pain, I have lotsa knee pain after an hour of riding. When my legs are extended, the pain subsides.

Exhausted was the incorrect word........pain, I have lotsa knee pain after an hour of riding. When my legs are extended, the pain subsides.
Now that my second hip replacement has healed (14 months ago), I find I can ride much longer between stopping breaks. Now my right knee is next in line when I decide it's time, but in the meanwhile, the hydrocortisone shot I just got in it last week has made a big improvement in knee comfort while riding.

Back
Top Bottom