Very little clearance between handlebars grips and tank!!

The following images are of my friends st1300 which he has just bought.. He is having difficulty when turning in a tight circle as his fingers are getting stuck between the handlebars and tank!

Is this normal on the st1300? Anyone know why there is so little clearance between the hand grips and the tank? The bike is a 2002 St1300 and one side seems better than the other with no apparent way of adjusting height of handlebars..

Attachments

• 20230903_151112.jpg
    20230903_151112.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230903_151100.jpg
    20230903_151100.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 76
The gap between the cast portion if the left bar and the switch pod suggests either the grip and the pod are not fully slid onto the round bar or these are police bars (unlikely) which are about 1/2" longer than the civilian bars. I say unlikely because that gap, once the clutch clamp is banked against the casting looks greater than 1". Plus, how would police bars get on that bike? Maybe the previous owner replaced them for their greater length or that's what he found when sourcing bars to replace damaged ones?

If they are police bars, they would also have been paired with simple spacers that raise the bars from the triple clamp unlike HeliBar or MCL which move them both up and back (referencing the plane of the top triple clamp). The photo of the throttle side doesn't appear to have a spacer between the bar and the triple clamp.

The throttle switchpod looks to have a switch between the engine cut-off switch and the start button suggesting it's not stock either.

I'd start by trying to slide everything farther onto each bar to see if the clearance improves - levers, switchpods and grips. If the switchpods are OEM ST1300 parts there will be a hole in the bar and a locator pin on the inside of the switchpod to ensure it's positioned properly and prevent the pod from rotating on the bar.

I'd start by checking the positions of those parts and repositioning if possible, and then checking if those parts are not OEM.

Edit: From an earlier discussion about the difference between the police and civilian bar tube length

Handlebar tube length
Civilian Police
Right (throttle/brake) 8.25" / 210mm 8.75" / 223mm
Left (clutch) 7.9375" / 201mm 8.50" / 216mm

Last edited:
Those look like the clearance on my bike. Maybe I don't do full-lock turns, but I've never noticed a problem.

@STRider : UK police bars were no different to standard because the multi-button switchgear that was used on police ST1100s wasn't used on the ST1300 - a digital controller was fitted on a bracket to the left handlebar instead. That way, there was no need to put bar risers on (although I added GenMars anyway for comfort).

controller.jpg

@drawderm : The brake and clutch reservoir clamps should both butt up against the fat part of the handlebar. The RH switchgear looks about right but could perhaps come a fraction closer to the clamp. The LH clamp and switchgear are positioned much too far down the bar. Proper placement for controls shown below:

placement.jpg

Proper placement for controls shown below
What is that switch on the right pod above the starter switch? I'd be so envious if it's a flash to pass switch. Helibars were an early farkle for me so I have no memory of having little clearance at full lock.

. . . the multi-button switchgear that was used on police ST1100s . . .
Where can I find one, if you mean for the left side? Every one I've seen was a standard 1100 switch pod.

I have a right-side police switch pod already. I heard there was a police left-side pod, but never seen one.

What is that switch on the right pod above the starter switch? I'd be so envious if it's a flash to pass switch.
Lighting switch. Off/sidelights/headlights. Deleted on later models. Flash to pass is on the hi/lo switch on the left.

switches.jpg

Where can I find one, if you mean for the left side? Every one I've seen was a standard 1100 switch pod.
You may have misunderstood, Larry. The ST1100s had the multi-button switch pod on the RH side, like you have. UK police 1300s didn't use that, like US bikes did; they had a controller mounted on the left, as shown (circled) in post #17, and it's specific to the police equipment added by Sonic Communications.

I have a really close gap in the same location but not quite that extreme, 2006 model. There's a vinyl bushing surrounding the metal bushing in the holes where the spacer (part 14) bolts (with parts 19) to the upper triple clamp (part 17). Is there a lot of play in the bars before the forks begin to move? The bushings may be the problem. Check that the nuts (parts 27) at the bottom end of the two mount bolts for the spacer are properly torqued also...they will be under the upper triple clamp.

1693823736978.png

Back
Top Bottom