What are your hobbies besides riding...

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Every time I hear or see the word 'bagpipes', the line from an old Saturday morning cartoon pops into mind....'Mommy, why is that man wearing a dress and squeezing an octopus?'
It was once explained to me that the Scots are such heavy drinkers because the walk around all day wearing a wool skirt with nothing underneath, carrying a telephone pole, and following some bloke playing an instrument that sounds as though he's strangling a cat.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I live in a state with snow and salt on the roads in the winter. So, the bikes get parked and the snowmobiles are my winter ride.

20230316_124156.jpg

I also collect and repair old Coleman camping lanterns and stoves. I have over 400 of them. The oldest is from 1910 and it still runs like new.

20210615_084409.jpg
I'm impressed. Maybe you can suggest a source for an old Coleman lantern I was given? It needs the glass. I believe the little pump is working and the fuel tank has no leaks. I was going to see the local auto supply store can mix the Coleman green paint.
Thanks
Dave

I have quite a few things that I like to do to stave away the non riding periods. Mostly I get to a certain level of expertise then get bored and start something new.
However a few things have cropped up in the last few years that seem to be sticking.
Recently i started to make card inlays as a silhouette and have managed to sell a few, maybe something to beef up my meager pension when it comes in a few years. I like doing artwork in Affinity Photo and Designer, left Adobe´s finest after they went subscription.
I collect Uranium glass on fleamarkets and I restore gramophones, by now my one room pokey hole under the roof sports four of them, the oldest from 1915 and the newest a HMV 102 from 1945.
All good fun until something else comes and wows me.

IMG_0399.jpgP38 over clouds web.jpgwireP38.jpegIMG_0183.jpgIMG_0285.jpg

Bike
2014 ST1300
It was once explained to me that the Scots are such heavy drinkers because the walk around all day wearing a wool skirt with nothing underneath, carrying a telephone pole, and following some bloke playing an instrument that sounds as though he's strangling a cat.
Way back in the day when I played rugby, our team played in a tournament at a local Highland Games. They piped the teams onto the field at the end of the tournament and we had a couple guys over from Scotland on our team. They were not impressed by the level of local bagpipery and got somewhat riled. The poor piper was doing his best but sounded off even to my ears untutored in the ways of the bagpipe.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My "hobbies" are teaching the Bible to others., and my Family. I just came back from the Damascus House which is a 6 month residency program for drug and alcohol addicts. I teach them the Bible on Wednesday and Thursday mornings. On Thursday evenings, I lead a Men's Life Group where we are currently going through the book of Hebrews.

My other hobby is my Family. In June, I'll be going to a rally in Northern California. It's a hop, skip and a jump to my daughter's place in Palo Alto. She needs some work done around the house, so I'll stop in and help her out.

I'm blessed, because in both cases, I can ride to get to those "hobbies". ;)

Chris

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
My hobby for over 50 years has been reloading ammo. After a while, this necessitated collecting various items to assist in the unloading of the ammo so I would have something to reload. I stopped counting around 20K rounds, but that was a couple of decades ago.

John

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
My hobby for over 50 years has been reloading ammo. After a while, this necessitated collecting various items to assist in the unloading of the ammo so I would have something to reload. I stopped counting around 20K rounds, but that was a couple of decades ago.

John
What kind of ammo do you reload? Any special non-standard loading?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Besides riding, I enjoy, golf, skiing, and travel. It is really nice when you can combine some of these into the same trip. Haven't quite figured out how to carry the golf clubs on the bike yet though.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
Easy answer to this one. Two pieces of plastic on the feet and hurtle like an idiot down snow covered slopes. Actually, at 68yrs old, proceed at a more gentle pace than I did when I started skiing (the knees and leg muscles protest otherwise)

560301_10151288363493240_947912832_n.jpg

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I used to be into RC aircraft and boats. At one time I was a RC gas race boat national champion. No, it won't even get you a free cup of coffee... Used to be an avid snowboarder for a decade, but the hills got too crowded and too expensive. I enjoy shooting and reloading, and used to build firearms from de-milled kits. Been a mechanic, personal and professional, all my life. Rebuilt/repaired almost any kind of internal combustion engine at some point, and just enjoy most anything mechanical. I have a pilots license, belong to a Club that owns a Cessna, and have a partially completed experimental aircraft in the garage. Grew up sailing, have some time offshore, plenty of coastal, done some racing, currently own a catamaran that the family enjoys. Yes, we all sail. People who think owning an aircraft is expensive, they have never owned a large boat

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have 15 aquariums totalling 1000g
Ride daily
Think about riding more
Beer and whiskey
Think about more beer and whiskey

I own a B.O.A.T. (Bring On Another Thousand..) Love / Hate relationship. Also, living in Nashville (native) I am an obligatory musician as well.

Top Bottom