Anyone use Temu?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
While looking for some accessories, I see that Temu offers some deep discounts.

From what I see it's a Western spin off of Pingduoduo, a huge Chinese inline retailer, with many of the discounts because of direct from the manufacturer sales similar to how you can buy the F2 led bulbs straight from Cindy at Evitek.

I'm thinking along the lines of Amazon, Ebay etc platforms, but more like Alibaba.

I've seen mixed reviews, which may or may not be true in varying amounts.

Just wondering if anyone has used them and if so what was your experience and opinion.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
While looking for some accessories, I see that Temu offers some deep discounts.

From what I see it's a Western spin off of Pingduoduo, a huge Chinese inline retailer, with many of the discounts because of direct from the manufacturer sales similar to how you can buy the F2 led bulbs straight from Cindy at Evitek.

I'm thinking along the lines of Amazon, Ebay etc platforms.

I've seen mixed reviews, which may or may not be true in varying amounts.

Just wondering if anyone has used them and if so what was your experience and opinion.

Thanks.
yea it almost sounds too good to be true. read this article carefully. https://www.zdnet.com/article/i-tried-to-return-something-to-temu-heres-what-happened/

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2005 st1300
I have bought a few things from them. it is on the lower end of the cheap Chinese stuff. If you just wanted low price stuff and quality wasn't a huge concern you won't be disappointed. They have good prices and the shipping was fairly quick. If you have ever bought stuff from wish, it is pretty much the same stuff but with faster Shipping.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have used them a few times. Some of the stuff is ok, some is really good, other stuff is not so hot. Some of it is identical to items sold on Amazon, but at MUCH lower prices.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've used them several times. Cheap stuff, low quality...but...the HEPA air filters work well enough for me and the bread baskets do a good job of holding the bread while it proofs.

I don't expect those air filters to be up to snuff, but they pull enough dust out of the air in one room that I use to varnish to satisfy me. No dust in the finish coat is good enough.

I would not buy from them for something important - like a front mc tire.

I second the comment about amazon items.. I have purchased the exact items from Temu for half what amazon is selling it for. Typical chinese quality items.... get what you pay for.

Bike
2014 ST1300
My wife went through a Temu phase for a while including playing their games to get discounts. Similar comments to those above, decent enough if you don't expect too much. From what I recall, customer service was pretty decent.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Quick breakout from a longform investigative journalist's "expose" on Temu.

It's a manufacturer marketplace. Essentially, companies spec and place an order for, say, 500 units of an item to sell in their Amazon pop-up store. For the sake of example, we'll look at these "cloud slippers" on Amazon, that are all identical products from the same molds in the same factories, where some of them are even using the same item pictures despite being "different brands", because someone gets enough money to find these on AliBaba and order the MOQ of 500.

1712856932584.png
The factory runs through maybe 550 because they had a MOQ on the thermoplastic that was a bit more than the 500 units. So they toss the last 50 units on Temu to dump them quickly. Essentially just leftovers from a drop-ship plan.

There's a similarity; AliExpress is essentially an Amazon as well. It's cheaper only because they're using pickup windows from the factory to plan for dumps. If 600 people order a thing, then an order is placed with the factory to make 600 units and ship them directly to the customers as they finish production or are available instead of shipping them to warehouses to be stored, picked, packed, and shipped.

1712856899782.png

Once again, Temu is just the dumping ground for overproduction. So it will have the same product, but typically not from a million "stores". It's coming straight from the factory on behalf of the factory.

That said, there's obviously a high likelihood that Temu houses many of products produced with slave labor. But if that same slipper is on Temu, and AliExpress, and Amazon, and AliBaba, all imported from China and seemingly coming from one factory... then every source you'll find the thing is produced with slave labor. The moralistic opposition really is in favor of "don't buy cheap crap online".

To that end.

The quality of what you find on Temu is going to roughly be identical to that on Amazon for the same product. It's not hard to find matches.

So while this gear indicator made by "JMORCO" is on Amazon for $51, this is very clearly the same product from the same factory with the same product photos for $31.

(Fun fact: The Temu listing is by a Chinese company called Heigoal, who sells nothing but aftermarket Motorcycle components, including gear indicators for many other models of bike, suggesting they're the original manufacturer or commissioner of the product. The Amazon lister, "JMORCO", sells everything from motorcycle parts to bed sheets and comforters to stepper motor pulleys to WiFi extenders to women's underwear. Needless to say they're not the manufacturer.)

Long story short.

Give Temu a look if you find something on Amazon you like. It's going to be the same product made in the same factory by the same (possibly enslaved) labor for less money. Buying from them doesn't incentivize that; it just lowers the margin and makes less money for the companies that are possibly exploiting that labor. We do live in a world where there's not necessarily an "American" option made in the first place for our use case, so getting "made in China" isn't an option on many things unless just not having it is preferable.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Gave them a shot on handlebar ends . Still waiting . Cheaper than the toll both between the local MC dealer and me ( they don't have that kind of stuff anyway). Not expecting much.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cheap Chinese stuff
I remember when that was said about Japanese imports with the implication of the country of origin being the indicator of the quality of merchandise. You get what you pay for is pretty good advice.

The main benefits of buying the same item from Amazon are the faster shipping times (if shipped by Amazon proper) and the generous ('till it's not) return policy. But as can be seen they're not cheap benefits.

But a wise choice does save a chunk of ching.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I remember when that was said about Japanese imports with the implication of the country of origin being the indicator of the quality of merchandise. You get what you pay for is pretty good advice.

The main benefits of buying the same item from Amazon are the faster shipping times (if shipped by Amazon proper) and the generous ('till it's not) return policy. But as can be seen they're not cheap benefits.

But a wise choice does save a chunk of ching.
I'll toss in that the ship times are the benefit at this point; I've had zero issue with Temu refunds whatsoever, and they've had me keep the product each time, offering a straight refund immediately.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Girl friend buys some clothes from them for the grand kids. My take on them are cheap and flimsy but for kids i guess they are ok.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Well I gave Temu a go yesterday.
Ordered a Rivco style hidden hitch for the new GW.
Was just over half the cost of the best price I could find across the normal shopping platforms and dealers out there.
Based on looks it's either a knock off replica or perhaps a factory overrun that makes the branded one. (Company orders 1000 & factory makes 1025...)
Could also be a blemished 2nd. Time will tell.
Delivery time should be middle of next week, which is much sooner than I expected if it's coming from overseas, especially since shipping was "free."

1713524530869.png

Top Bottom