Burr Trail

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Has anyone rode the Burr Trail from Bull Frog on Lake Powell to Boulder on UT12 on an ST1300 or similar large sport touring bike, like my BMW K1600GT?

It seems to be gravel road like the Moki Dugway but much longer.

Just thinking...

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I've ridden the Moki, did again last year., but it's been a few years since I rode the Burr. I don't think I'd recommend it on a big road bike. It's paved for a ways out of Boulder and that's as far as I've ridden it on my ST, but then turns into dirt, gravel rock and sand. I've been over it in my truck. Quite a bit of sand with sandstone type ridges in the road so it can get pretty rough.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
A lot of the road is washbord and loose gravel. From Boulder at the 11 mile mark there is a small slot canyon on the left side. 50 feet or so from the road not very long but worth the stop to enter it. You can get through the entire canyon on paved road once out it turn to gravel if you feel safe you can get to the top of the switchbacks. I wouldn't down them but it's a cool view from the top.
1707751155190.png1707751265691.png

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Some guys on the KLR board that I am on did it this past summer. They ran into a bunch of lose sand and some ruts/washout areas. We had record snowfall last winter. It will depend on how the spring snow melt goes as to how the road will be. We are finally getting some good snow in the high country, so there should be some good water going through there in the spring if we get a quick warm up.

I have seen posts on other sites of people doing it on large bikes in the past and made it through without any problems. Other years, people have had all kinds of problems. It just depends on the winter run off and any monsoon storms that we get in the summer.

That road is on my to do list. But, on my KLR.

Top Bottom