Engine vibration/Buzz on a once smooth ST1300

STOC #
Last year I noticed my ST1300 getting more and more buzzy. Yesterday I took it out for the first time this year and it seems even worse. Doesn’t feel smooth anytime now. As revs rise it gets worse. By 7500 rpm the handle bars, tank and footpegs are really bad.
The more you open up the throttle the worse it gets or seems to.
09 with 80k klm. Plugs are original. Still constantly get 57-60 mpg imperial.
Don’t know what it is.
Ps does it in neutral too

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Adjust the counterbalance?
Did you get the bike up to speed where the vib is the worst, pull in the clutch and let it coast at idle? This will tell you if it is the engine or something else if the vibes go away as the rpm's drop. (Obviously, do this on a deserted, smooth, straight road.)
I'd also think a throttle body balance is in order.
Do you have a service manual?

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Adjust the counterbalance?
Did you get the bike up to speed where the vib is the worst, pull in the clutch and let it coast at idle? This will tell you if it is the engine or something else if the vibes go away as the rpm's drop. (Obviously, do this on a deserted, smooth, straight road.)
I'd also think a throttle body balance is in order.
Do you have a service manual?
Speed doesn’t seem to matter. Higher revs, more buzz. Any/all gears

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
From your description, it’s hard to try and diagnose your wording etc.
A “buzz” to some folks would be noise, to others a vibrations.
It could be many different things.
Counterbalance adjusters off
TB sync off
Preload adjuster empty or adjusted wrong
Low tire pressure
Worn/cupped tires
Wheel bearings
Driven bearings
Driveshaft issues
Wheel dampers hard or damaged
Spark plugs loose
Electrical issues breaking up and cutting out
Incorrect tire/wheel install sequence
SMC sticking and becoming grabby
Calipers not floating and vibrating off rotors
Bobbins dirty and stuck.
We would need more information before we can narrow it down.
“Buzzy” on a bike on my table lift could mean a rattle snake under the table.

Attachments

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Engine rev related ?

Service it. New oil / filter / air filter / plugs . Delve under the airbox and balance the starter valves.

But before you start throwing money at it, check the cheaper solutions.

1. Keys in fairing pockets
2 Loose lower front fairing
3 Disturbed loose exhaust blowing fumes at joints
4 Slacken spark plugs and secure them to spec.
5 Loose windscreen

You get the idea....But these are sheer guesswork based on no info, but all of the above have featured in solutions to random vibrations for me.

Plus what Larry said

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
From your description, it’s hard to try and diagnose your wording etc.
A “buzz” to some folks would be noise, to others a vibrations.
It could be many different things.
Counterbalance adjusters off
TB sync off
Preload adjuster empty or adjusted wrong
Low tire pressure
Worn/cupped tires
Wheel bearings
Driven bearings
Driveshaft issues
Wheel dampers hard or damaged
Spark plugs loose
Electrical issues breaking up and cutting out
Incorrect tire/wheel install sequence
SMC sticking and becoming grabby
Calipers not floating and vibrating off rotors
Bobbins dirty and stuck.
We would need more information before we can narrow it down.
“Buzzy” on a bike on my table lift could mean a rattle snake under the table.
Yeh I would call it vibrating rather than buzz. Can barely keep my feet on pegs at 7500 rpm. Think old Suzuki 500 titan? Haha
Ps knew I should not have used buzz and just said vibrate

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What tires are you running and have you put new tires on since? I had some Dunlop that were new and the front had issues that caused vibrations.

Might also be a ujoint.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
7500 rpm?! I don't think my ride has ever been that high. Maybe one night doing stupid fast coming home from work, but that would be the only time for me. ECM 'limiter' keeps me below 4k in 5th, which is plenty around here. Can't imagine what the vibration is like at those revs...but will watch here for what you find.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you will have to do a bunch more work, trying to isolate this or we are just going to be playing pin the tail on the ST in the dark. Larry gave you a list of possible causes in Post #4. You can go through that list, using standard trouble shooting methods and eliminate a number of them. Yes, some might require wrenching - like pulling the wheels and sticking your finger into the wheel bearings to rotate them for feel, but without more info from you, it's a guessing game.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
I think you will have to do a bunch more work, trying to isolate this or we are just going to be playing pin the tail on the ST in the dark. Larry gave you a list of possible causes in Post #4. You can go through that list, using standard trouble shooting methods and eliminate a number of them. Yes, some might require wrenching - like pulling the wheels and sticking your finger into the wheel bearings to rotate them for feel, but without more info from you, it's a guessing game.
Yep I think you are right
Thanks for all the replies guys

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have heard of tires getting flat spots being stored on concrete for extended periods. The expansion and contraction of the tire from changes in air pressure makes the concrete act like sand paper. Good luck hope you get it sorted easy.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Engine rev related ?

Service it. New oil / filter / air filter / plugs . Delve under the airbox and balance the starter valves.

But before you start throwing money at it, check the cheaper solutions.

1. Keys in fairing pockets
2 Loose lower front fairing
3 Disturbed loose exhaust blowing fumes at joints
4 Slacken spark plugs and secure them to spec.
5 Loose windscreen

You get the idea....But these are sheer guesswork based on no info, but all of the above have featured in solutions to random vibrations for me.

Plus what Larry said
Mining for elusive issues gives you a perfect opportunity to inspect/clean/adjust everything along the way.

Last year I noticed my ST1300 getting more and more buzzy. Yesterday I took it out for the first time this year and it seems even worse. Doesn’t feel smooth anytime now. As revs rise it gets worse. By 7500 rpm the handle bars, tank and footpegs are really bad.
The more you open up the throttle the worse it gets or seems to.
09 with 80k klm. Plugs are original. Still constantly get 57-60 mpg imperial.
Don’t know what it is.
Ps does it in neutral too
I'm having th exact same issues, did you ever figure out the root cause of your vibrations?

New plugs and Throttle body sync helped somewhat. May have valve clearances checked, adjusted this year.
Appreciate the reply. I've done the following:
-New plugs correct gap and torque.
-Tb sync
-New bridgstone t32gt's, got rid of the Metzler z8's that caused a very noticeable vibration at certin speeds. Well documented on this site.
-New front and rear bearings using nsk sealed units. Correct reinstalation procedure was followed using 2008 setup guide. Everything torqued to spec.
-axles lubed with thin layer of m1 synthetic grease.
-clutch fluid flushed per manual.
-All brake calipers cleaned, lubed, inspected and reinstalled per instruction in repair manual and on this site. System blead. Get two rotations on rear and two on front with solid 'push' on the tire.
-counter balance adjustment done.

Have put about 400 miles on this year so far, running 91octane non oxginated gasoline and redline si-1 to help clean out the system.
Went with Motul V300 10w40 in hopes the ester based oil would help.

I still have vibration and a rhythmic thump that is directly related to speed at which Im travraveling. While stationary in the garage, st on its center stand, a thumping can be felt in the handlebars that dissapears with the clutch lever pulled in. It also increases and decreases with rpm. Thinking the next step is to inspect the shaft drive assembly. possibly transmission output shaft (really hope its not ) 2004 with 23,000mi on the clock, just picked it up April 7. Previous owner had not ridden it in over a year, swears it was "smooth as silk" when he parked it.

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST1300
The intake boot clamps tend to get overlooked. Over time they need a little snugging up with a really long Phillips #2 (Harbor Freight, US). Symptoms can be a slight buzz at the bar or tank and somewhat unstable idle with a clutch knocking that vanishes when disengaged. Not so much an at speed rhythmic thump thing though.

Top Bottom