Garmin 660LM finally died

I don't know how you do it. When I'm riding along and don't have GPS directions in my headset I ALWAYS miss a turn. Most annoying. I get distracting thinkin' about things, you know?

B
Yeah, I've missed a turn a time or two, but if I have a lot of turns coming up, like getting close to a bonus in a rally, I'm paying closer attention, and don't have anything running in my headset. I've been using GPS in some form or another since my Handspring PDA days, and never did like to hear it.

Well was out for 8hr ride yesterday and the 660 started acting up again. Stop working completely twice for about an hour each time
Can’t find any destination more than 100 miles away either.
Oh well. Better than nothing most of the time.

I have the Zumo XT - The screen alone is worth the price. You can pare down the info on the screen so it does not cover up too much I believe. I run my music from my phone through it and you can control the music on the XT. Works great. I always worried about the XT mount looking a little weak. I have had it on my Africa Twin now for a couple of years and ridden some really washboard dirt backroads with no problems though. For me it has worked well. I'm not a GPS geek and do a lot of planning on my computer and move routes around etc. like others though. It does work well though to use your phone for destination searches and just sending the info to the XT. I've seen some pretty good sales on and off on the XT. I saw it on sale once for 379.00 somewhere.

Well was out for 8hr ride yesterday and the 660 started acting up again. Stop working completely twice for about an hour each time
Can’t find any destination more than 100 miles away either.
Oh well. Better than nothing most of the time.

A couple of years ago, my 660LM started acting up. I did a complete reset of the unit and updated the software and maps, and it's been working fine ever since. I'd have to look for the instructions for doing the reset, but it involves holding down the button and one corner of the screen. (As far as I can remember) When I plugged it in the computer, a couple of weeks ago, it did another software update as well as map update. Before I did the complete reset, mine even had the time of day wrong by a half hour!

Found the instructions on YouTube.

If you have routes or favorites saved on the GPS, save them to a computer before doing the reset.

John

I have the Zumo XT - The screen alone is worth the price. You can pare down the info on the screen so it does not cover up too much I believe. I run my music from my phone through it and you can control the music on the XT. Works great. I always worried about the XT mount looking a little weak. I have had it on my Africa Twin now for a couple of years and ridden some really washboard dirt backroads with no problems though. For me it has worked well. I'm not a GPS geek and do a lot of planning on my computer and move routes around etc. like others though. It does work well though to use your phone for destination searches and just sending the info to the XT. I've seen some pretty good sales on and off on the XT. I saw it on sale once for 379.00 somewhere.
I will probably go with the 396. Don’t really need the xt

A couple of years ago, my 660LM started acting up. I did a complete reset of the unit and updated the software and maps, and it's been working fine ever since. I'd have to look for the instructions for doing the reset, but it involves holding down the button and one corner of the screen. (As far as I can remember) When I plugged it in the computer, a couple of weeks ago, it did another software update as well as map update. Before I did the complete reset, mine even had the time of day wrong by a half hour!

If you have routes or favorites saved on the GPS, save them to a computer before doing the reset.

John
Thanks, I will try that and if doesn’t work, then order the zumo 396

I have the 396 and the XT. IMO, you’ll regret not spending the extra $100 for the XT. If you wait, you can get one for ~$400. It’s noticeably faster, bigger and brighter.

I don't know if Garmin is still offering repairs on the 660 or not, but you should call them. If they no longer repair them, they will often offer you as much as a 30% discount on the purchase of a new Garmin under a loyalty program because you already have a Garmin.

I don't know if Garmin is still offering repairs on the 660 or not, but you should call them. If they no longer repair them, they will often offer you as much as a 30% discount on the purchase of a new Garmin under a loyalty program because you already have a Garmin.
They never mentioned that when they sold me the new battery

John
well the reset got me further... thanks
after multiple tries I took out the SD card and only had room to update Canada maps.. It works fine now..
need to get new card and try loading north america again and all my music again

They never mentioned that when they sold me the new battery
If you were only purchasing a battery, my assumption would be that there was no need to discuss a replacement unit or repair service for your unit if the battery was still an available item. If they no longer offer a repair service on a discontinued unit is when they they tend to offer the loyalty program on a new purchase is what my experience has been. When talking with them, I would specifically ask about it. This is what I did when I contacted them about repairs for my Zumo 550. They no longer repair them or offer exchange service on them, so they gave me a 30% discount code towards the purchase of a new GPS. The code was valid for six months.

Re: Resetting the unit.
I had a similar problem with my 550. One reset did not fix it. I did the reset procedure several times and it eventually came back to normal.

If you were only purchasing a battery, my assumption would be that there was no need to discuss a replacement unit or repair service for your unit if the battery was still an available item. If they no longer offer a repair service on a discontinued unit is when they they tend to offer the loyalty program on a new purchase is what my experience has been. When talking with them, I would specifically ask about it. This is what I did when I contacted them about repairs for my Zumo 550. They no longer repair them or offer exchange service on them, so they gave me a 30% discount code towards the purchase of a new GPS. The code was valid for six months.

Re: Resetting the unit.
I had a similar problem with my 550. One reset did not fix it. I did the reset procedure several times and it eventually came back to normal.
Garmin, may try that. Reset about 5 times.

Back
Top Bottom