Gear change from 2nd to 3rd

Hello,
I'm new to the ST1300 and this forum. Have just bought a 2008 model (in the UK) and when I set off, the gear change from 1st to 2nd is fine, but it won't change up to 3rd until I've done about 7 or 8 miles. Then it magically becomes fine, nice crisp changes up and down. The bike has been standing for some months (previous owner died). All oils have been changed. Could the problem be the linkage sticking and not returning correctly to its 'neutral' position? But why does it correct itself?
Hoping someone might have some helpful ideas.
Thank you in anticipation.
Malcolm

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
Sounds like the linkage to me. It is a known problem with these bikes. Worth cleaning and lubricating. If you do a search you will find lots of help. Good luck.

OP
OP
Sounds like the linkage to me. It is a known problem with these bikes. Worth cleaning and lubricating. If you do a search you will find lots of help. Good luck.
Thank you for that. I'm in the garage now. I'll give it a try. Pouring with rain, so won't be able to test it until later!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Possibly linkage - there is a rubber boot covering a ball and scocket joint behind the engine on the brake lever side. It is easy to lift off the boot - it is nearly sperical so that it covers the whole ball - but that makes it a bit awkward to get back on again - especially after greasing. Slippy little blighter.

1714299888152.pngBut it might be that the clutch needs bleeding. There will be a little movement in the clutch lever when you touch it, but when you squeeze, you should be pushing against the strong spring of the clutch at the front of the engine. If you get a lot of movement and then resistance, it is almost certainly air. The bleed point for the clutch is down on the left hand side tot he right of the water bottle.

I've never tried to bleed this without having the left side fairing off, but it may be possible to gently ease it out of the way. But it would need the lower grey panel to be removed and the lower fairing mounting bolts (under the tipover covers).

I don't know, I've never bothered to try.

Why after 7-8 miles ? - that is the point when the engine gets warm enough to expand the fluid enough to make a difference to the clutch behaviour. I wont go into the details of how I know this.

But that might also mean that the tiny compensation port at the bottom of the clutch reservoir is blocked. (under a protective silver shield).
Lift the fluid cover (lock the bars fully right) and take a look inside. My guess is that it will be brown. Ditto the brakes.

You have a bigger job on your hands which needs sorting pretty soon. Where in the UK are you ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
The movement of the gear lever was a bit stiff - didn't return to the 'neutral' position properly. Soaked all the joints with releasing fluid, waggled the lever up and down lots of times then had lunch while the fluid did its stuff. Smothered the joints with grease plus lots more waggling. Just has had it out for a test ride - changing gear perfectly.
Thank you very much for the advice, it's really appreciated.
My last 2 bikes were a 1957 Norton Dominator 99 and then a 1883 BMW R80RT, both of which I had for many years. I stripped both of them down to the frame and rebuilt them so I kind of knew how they worked plus their idiosyncrasies! The ST1300 is completely new to me and I have no intention of stripping it down - unless I get the itch.
That being the case I might be pestering for help again .........
Thank you again.

John - I'm in the North East of England at Chester-le-Street, just north of Durham City.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
The movement of the gear lever was a bit stiff - didn't return to the 'neutral' position properly. Soaked all the joints with releasing fluid, waggled the lever up and down lots of times then had lunch while the fluid did its stuff. Smothered the joints with grease plus lots more waggling. Just has had it out for a test ride - changing gear perfectly.
Thank you very much for the advice, it's really appreciated.
My last 2 bikes were a 1957 Norton Dominator 99 and then a 1883 BMW R80RT, both of which I had for many years. I stripped both of them down to the frame and rebuilt them so I kind of knew how they worked plus their idiosyncrasies! The ST1300 is completely new to me and I have no intention of stripping it down - unless I get the itch.
That being the case I might be pestering for help again .........
Thank you again.

John - I'm in the North East of England at Chester-le-Street, just north of Durham City.
Pleased you got it sorted. Well done!

Top Bottom