Route Suggestions - Blue Ridge, GA

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I saw a post about next years meeting at Suches, GA and thought I might just do a trip that way this month. But no real motels in the area. So, I found a place called Blue Ridge, GA which had motels and seemed to be a place to stop.

Our intent is to spend two nights there and do a day ride in the area. What I don't know is anything about the area. Seems to have good quality hotels/motels and places to eat.

So, two questions.

One, what is your opinion of Blue Ridge as a two night stop and next day ride?

Two, do you have any suggested day rides in the area? I have the one Mellow posted for Suches which I will look at. I also have one called the Gauntlet which I have not looked at either.

Since I have not been there, I am open to suggestions. Are there places to eat I the area? Any recommendations on cabins?

Two Wheels of Suches in Tipster's post is a great place but if you are looking for hotels and hotel amenities then Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, and Blairsville are all smack dab on top of great riding roads. I stay at TWO often.

From Blue Ridge it is a short ride east on 76 to the intersection of GA60 and 76. Turn either north or south on 60. North goes up to Tellico Plains and the Cherohala via TN 68 at McCaysville or south on 60 to Suches and the GA Dragon of GA 180 between 60 and US 19. I can give you detailed information about these routes and the roads around them if you want. I don't live there but have ridden the area once or twice or more a year since 2006.

Thanks.... I shall investigate the Dahlonega and Blue Ridge hotels. I have stayed several times at the Blairsville Best Western, not bad and there are several good places (or were) for breakfast in the area.

Question. If I were to stay in Blue Ridge, GA is GA route 60 a road I can take between Proter Springs, GA and Blue Ridge? I assume it is since Suches is on that route and its on Mellows "Gaulet" but... just wanted to ask.

Question. If I were to stay in Blue Ridge, GA is GA route 60 a road I can take between Proter Springs, GA and Blue Ridge? I assume it is since Suches is on that route and its on Mellows "Gaulet" but... just wanted to ask.
Porter Springs?

Yes, Porter Springs is just east of the “Rock Pile” which is the intersection of GA60 & US19. Then north on 60 to US76, left on 76 to Blue Ridge. Porter Springs is pretty much just The Frogtown Winery or Vinny’s Place.

Ok... I made some reservations in Blue Ridge so I hope to have good weather. Also planning on riding Mellow's "Gaulet" while there and might even take a train ride, depending schedule.

Ok... I made some reservations in Blue Ridge so I hope to have good weather. Also planning on riding Mellow's "Gaulet" while there and might even take a train ride, depending schedule.
Make train reservations as early as you can. This year is probably different but in the past they sell out weeks in advance.

Oh well, there are no trains running it appears during the week, just a day or so before and after the weekend. Also noticed that the train requires masks because the TSA says they have to. We did a train ride up in Ohio at InZane 2021 and they did not require masks. Never crossed their/our minds.

I live just south of BR about an hour. ALMOST any roads you pick up there will be a blast to ride. The Cherohala is one of my favorites, but it’s really tough to find any bad roads up that way. I avoid the Dragon, just not my thing, but many folks disagree and flock to it. The Gauntlet is a nice route, have ridden it many times.
Highly recommend Jim’s Smokin’ Q, as well as Bigun’s BBQ in Talking Rock, Ga, a short blast down 515 from BR.
If you quaff the occasional ale, a stop at Grumpy Old Men brewery in BR is a good choice.
A trip to Ellijay, then across Fort Mountain is a treat, great roads and views. There’s an observation point about halfway that’s worth the short hike up to. 23 miles of really great twisties.
Have a great time!

There is wolf pen gap between Suches and hwy 129. Hwy 129 down into Cleveland is nicknamed Blood Mountain. From there you can go into many restaurants in Helen Ga, if they have cleaned up from flooding. Head north from there upo to Hiawasee too, and a side trip to Brasstown Bald.

I live just south of BR about an hour. ALMOST any roads you pick up there will be a blast to ride. The Cherohala is one of my favorites, but it’s really tough to find any bad roads up that way. I avoid the Dragon, just not my thing, but many folks disagree and flock to it. The Gauntlet is a nice route, have ridden it many times.
Highly recommend Jim’s Smokin’ Q, as well as Bigun’s BBQ in Talking Rock, Ga, a short blast down 515 from BR.
If you quaff the occasional ale, a stop at Grumpy Old Men brewery in BR is a good choice.
A trip to Ellijay, then across Fort Mountain is a treat, great roads and views. There’s an observation point about halfway that’s worth the short hike up to. 23 miles of really great twisties.
Have a great time!

Thanks. I do like BBQ and have been on The Cherohala Skyway many times (well more than five or six) and the Dragon at least four times (first time by chance, and the last time by chance as well). I have a habit of letting the software drive the route between points I select and it does not know to avoid the Dragon.

My sister lives in Ellijay. She may or may not be home when we are there.

There is wolf pen gap between Suches and hwy 129. Hwy 129 down into Cleveland is nicknamed Blood Mountain. From there you can go into many restaurants in Helen Ga, if they have cleaned up from flooding. Head north from there upo to Hiawasee too, and a side trip to Brasstown Bald.
Had not thought much about the flooding. I will keep that in mind...

I will be down there visiting family this weekend, maybe all the locals and former locals could see if we missed any roads. Like Russell scenic hwy.

Back
Top Bottom