... see any good movies lately?

Bike
2009 ST1300
well, I for one haven't; but I was moving around the channels the other day and got part way into a czech movie from '68 called All My Good Countrymen, it could have qualified for the world's most boring story until I started watching it a bit, finally I taped it but alas, it was too late into the movie and I only taped part of it.
Quite an incredible story of the goings on in a small village and what happens between people, between the end of the war and, from what I gathered, about '54 from what I can understand, the movie's producer had to get out and pretty much never went back, but what a story,

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I made a mistake and corrected the name - the Movie is Godzilla Minus 1

I can't believe I am admitting to this but I went to see Godzilla Minus 1 with my son and granddaughter.

I was totally surprised by this movie. Apparently it was made by a young independent Japanese film maker. It has a very moving and personal love story combined with a back story regarding the Japanese Military and population during WWII and how they were mistreated very badly by their own government. We left the movie and looked at each other and said - that was really a well made film and we were shocked by how good it was.

Dan

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Not all recent, but all favorites:

The Sound of Music
Where Eagles Dare
The Goodbye Girl (original)
The Matrix
Hidden Figures
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Alot of movies today are not that great. We haven't been to the theatre in awhile until BeeKeepers was playing. Oppenheimer was another one.
Can't think of any others.
My 2 cents.
Dave

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Alot of movies today are not that great.
That's why I built a home theater system in my basement. See my posts here if interested:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Movie is Godzilla Minus 1
I've heard quite a bit of praise for it so it's on the list. I just watched Knox Goes Away with Michael Keaton. It's a direct to streaming effort which is a shame as I'd like to see it on the big screen. A really good movie and shows what a great talent Keaton is (also the best Batman). He's awesome no matter the genre.

After watching the new Shōgun recently on the tube I rewatched Yojimbo and Sanjuro. These are two of my favorite Kurosawa movies.

If we're naming favorites:

Top Gun: Maverick ticks so many enjoyment boxes. I've seen this several times in theater and am amazed every time. In IMAX it's simply the best. (RIP Tina).

Top Gun of course and Galaxy Quest. The Rocketeer is also a favorite. There are a lot of favorites like the Connery and Craig Bond flicks. There are some faves that rise and fall a little on the list depending on my mood.

Movies that stick with me the most are those that leave me happier when I leave theater that when I walk in. While You Were Sleeping and The Proposal also make the cut.

I'm pretty much over the superhero genre though it was the sole component as a ute in my comic book days. The very best of those movies was the first Superman and the first Ironman. Robert Downy Jr was incredible. The Incredibles! Most of the Pixar stuff are great too. Disney has pretty much soiled the name but Cars and Up! are terrific.

There are still good movies being made. The pandemic had got me out of the habit of going to theater in general. Maverick was the exception and maybe there will be another movie that brings me back. But I don't miss audiences one bit. Between weekday matinees and COVID I had the theater all to myself. That was grand.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Disney has pretty much soiled the name but Cars and Up! are terrific.
I haven't seen any of the latest Marvel superhero movies, or any other superhero movies since the first ones came out. In the initial movies, the superheros were real heros. But then they started opening their mouths off-screen and I found they were totally against what I believe in. Then they started being woke on-screen, and that was even worse. I wanted entertainment, not someone to preach to me about how bad I am as a white conservative male.

What happened to movies that were entertainment? With good acting? Good plot lines? Character development?

Top Gun: Maverick shows that at least one person knows how to entertain...and the crowds flocked to the theaters. I can't tell you how many times I've rewatched that movie.

I watched The Green Mile the other day. Wow. Shawshank Redemption was another wow movie. But they weren't made in the last five years.

Chris

Top Bottom