Speaking of oil... anyone remember where it goes?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Any advice on the best oil filter to use? Just about ready to do my first oil change on my own.
Tell ya what... for many of us, riding season is nigh upon us (or already here!), so until the bored, bikeless, or sick, lame and lazy come back around with the answer, give this a try.
I'm tempted to ask, "How much time do you have?" as there will be a plethora, a smorgasbord, nay... a veritable cornucopia of articles, with at least as many opinions.
Enjoy a little light reading... click the upper-right Search button.

st-owners banner.jpg

Bike
2008 ST1300a
Yup, lots of articles, that's why I was looking for some advice. The articles and videos I've found agree only that the stock honda filters that require the special wrench are a pain in the ass. Nothing definitive on what alternative to choose though.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Since I'm "already in this one"... the Honda filter does not require any wrench, in fact no oil filter does, unless over-tightened. I go hand tight, plus a fraction of a turn more, and have all my oil-changing life.
Further, one or more articles offer opinions from experience, including several compatible options suggested by @Igofar and others.
You haven't had time to read all the oil filter articles and posts yet... LOL.
Keep reading.
All the "advice" you seek, and much more, are already here.

Bike
R1200rt
Many many different oil filter are used from the Walmart off brand to name brands. Engines are not blowing up, engines are not having oil related problems. What is the best is a personal choice, they all do their job.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
We don't talk about religion or war here, in order to keep things civil.
Well, more or less civil.
I mean, this IS still the internet, right?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Oh, and if you spend some time around us, you'll get the feel for the ambiance, as well as the characters.
We don't attack folks around our little virtual campfire, but sarcasm and jokes abound.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yup, lots of articles, that's why I was looking for some advice. The articles and videos I've found agree only that the stock honda filters that require the special wrench are a pain in the ass. Nothing definitive on what alternative to choose though.
I use the Honda filters most of the time, it's just easier than dicking around cross-checking substitutes. I have never had any trouble with them. I have the filter wrench (* see below) but I have never had trouble removing the filter before I got it. Even if you can't loosen it by hand a pair of channel lock pliers makes short work of it.

* https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/oil-filter-for-2007-st-1300a.185710/#post-2474129

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
isn't that the thing; we're getting so away in our built world now that you can't really express too profoundly anything that might enter your imagination, but this is a great site for seeing what other people that ride motorcycles [real people that have done things and survived and can] understand concepts such as pain, failure, learning, consequences, correction, guidance, humility, and a few other experiences, build it and they will come, was a saying thought of as a joke [before vegas], today it is build it and they will conform, they will build their dreams and aspirations around what they have been born into... where was I going with that... let's ride!!!

Attachments

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm not a fan boy of any particular brand, just not the cheapest. Last time I ordered a filter it was the mobil listed below. I went out to the garage, I'm out. If I had to change my oil now a trip to the Walmart would have me opening the book there and looking at the early ought cvic and would walk away with the walmart brand and not think again for a few thousand miles. JMHO (for some of you, yea, I know, oh the horror)

Mobil 1 M1-110A Extended Performance Oil Filter

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
cough cough Supertech 6607 cough....

And I have cut them apart and they look like a ________ or better than a _________ inside.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Here's my list gathered across the years
About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Napa Gold 1538 oil filter or is it 1358 as @St-Gerard says?

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Boss PBL14610
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. .
Bosch 3323, about $6. .
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,

Bike
2008 ST1300a
Hey folks - did my first oil change. One issue. The fill indicator is not showing ANY oil in the bike, there is no oil line at all? Any thoughts about why that might be? And yes, I put the oil into the machine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom