Article [13] ST1300 - Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control Install

Re: My Audiovox Cruise install...

I'm Jack, and near finishing CC -100 installation. I have a question I need answered before I put every thing back together. Here goes, there are two wires from the CC servo (gray and blk) sleeved together, and I am unable to determine where they S/B terminated. The ends have crimped insulated quick disconnect terminals. Where are they to be terminated???? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks; Jack

Without anything visual look at Ray's instructions. If they are the magnetic pickup wires they are not needed and can be tucked up or cut out of the wiring all together.

I'm Jack, and near finishing CC -100 installation. I have a question I need answered before I put every thing back together. Here goes, there are two wires from the CC servo (gray and blk) sleeved together, and I am unable to determine where they S/B terminated. The ends have crimped insulated quick disconnect terminals. Where are they to be terminated???? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks; Jack

Jack, they're used if your using the magnet and speed sensor coil for the cruise's speed signal - which, if you're installing per Ray's instructions, you're not.

Cut 'em off.

I finally finished my installation with help from Jefro and Byron. Detailed instructions from Jefro's write-up went well for me as there were only a couple of questions. These questions came about as I was not acquainted with "under-the-hood" terminology. Byron's quick responses enabled me to finished without delays. CC's initial engagement begins with a quick surge and then behaves as expected.
I used 7 beads on chain, 2 inch ABS (5 inch) vac. canister, Servo DIL switch 1 & 7 on. YES THIS IS THE TICKET. JACK

Jack, if you don't like the quick surge change the one dip switch that deals with vehicle weight and engine horsepower. If set to light veh./high HP the engagement isn't as abrupt.

I am installing a CCS-100 this weekend and have a question or two about the check valve and vacuum canister. Never done one of these before.

1. Is the sequence to go from the engine vacuum to the canister, the the check valve is on the other side of the canister? Or is the check valve between the engine and the canister?

2. What does the vacuum canister and check valve do? I don't understand how this affects the cruise control.

Thanks and sorry for the 'dumb' questions.

JohnConner
:rd13:

I am installing a CCS-100 this weekend and have a question or two about the check valve and vacuum canister. Never done one of these before.

1. Is the sequence to go from the engine vacuum to the canister, the the check valve is on the other side of the canister? Or is the check valve between the engine and the canister?

2. What does the vacuum canister and check valve do? I don't understand how this affects the cruise control.

JohnConner

John, I am one who does NOT use a cannister or a check valve. Zero, nada, no issues with function. Installed my cruise fall of '06. You choice. I connected the vacuum line right at the MAP sensor with a "T". Very happy with my operation. Hope your install goes without a hitch.

Kevin

JohnConner

1) Proper sequence is: engine vacuum<--check valve<--cannister<--cruise control.

2) The vacuum cannister acts as an auxiliary vacuum reserve in situations where there is sustained high demand for vacuum. It supposedly helps maintain speed control when going up long hills. The check valve insures that CC diaphram movement doesn't affect the MAP sensor readings which in turn would affect the operation of the FI on the bike.

As mentioned by Kevin, some riders don't use the cannister and have no issues. I have one and speed regulation is almost always within +/- 1 mph.

John, you are welcome to hang around and wait for Ray to find this thread and reply or you can just go to his website for the instructions here.

Your choice...LOL

Dana,

Yes, I've been to his web site. Plan on following a combination of the instructions here and there. Looks straight forward enough. As long as I can get the gas tank up and the air filter assy off... This is my farcle season for firsts. :)

Yes, I've been to his web site.

I'm sorry John, I was responding to your post much earlier in this thread, I probably didn't realize I was just at a page break and not at the end of the thread. So my answer is well out of sequence with this tread. My bust, probably just a long day.

Re: ST1300 - Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control Install (by Jefro)

My Audiovox CC is installed, but haven't found a suitable plate to attach the switch. Are there any off the shelf items that will work?

I used the piece of left over bracket that I cut off and mounted it on one of the pinch bolts on the left handlebar.

My cruise control is installed.
What went wrong -
1. When I added the lever to the trottle-body pully, I cross-threaded the nut and wiped out the copper threads on the shaft. JCB saved my bacon with a tap-n-die set and a 1/4" nut. It is real easy to get this cross threaded as the shaft has a double flat surface with threads on less than 180 degrees of the shaft. BE CAREFUL HERE!
2. When I test road the bike, the cruise control accelerated and would not dis-engage. Something was causing the cruise control cable to stick open. Normal throttle was okay but when the cruise was engaged, off she went. Had to use the kill switch. JCB to the rescue again - I had added a shield under the trottle linkage to keep the chain from dropping under and getting hung up. It looks like that may have caused a throttle stick problem when I engaged the cruise control. We trimmed the shield down to a much smaller piece and also trimmed more off the air chamber nozel ribs.

What went right -
- Wiring was straight forward. No problems getting things wired in. I kept the 3A fuse to the control switch and put everything, including the control switch, on a 10A fuse. I wired the 'always hot' line with everything into a switched power source.
- Servo motor location, cable and vacuum hose routing went well. I used a vacuum chamber, supplied by dohboyst (THANKS!) and a valve.

After fixing the runaway condition, the cruise engaged and accelerated about 1-2 mph, then settled down to speed. It was not a jerky engage, but it felt like a reasuring, positive control when it engaged. No real ride time to speak of yet, but seems like it will be a big plus for my ride to Moonshine next month.

JohnConner

My cruise just came in the mail!!!:woo

Got it installed and it works mighty fine.

Has to rate right up there with one of the best farkles to do to the STeed!!!!

Surging when cruise is set on. When unit is installed with a vacuum tank and one way vacuum restrictor in the feed hose, the tank captures the highest aspect of vacuum pulses fed to the Map sensor and the tank. I stopped the surging by refining throttle body sync. The tool I used was the Twinmax, adjusting each separately then 1 to 3 allowing additinal refinement for better balance.

I am 99 percent done with the install. I followed Rays plan with the long bracket 7 ball chain setup. I don't see much said in this thread about the intake boot, with the hose holder on the back, having clearance issues. If could manage to get it back together, the crank case breather hose looks like it would be smashed and definitely pushing up against the CC cable, possibly causing some hangups. Has anyone rerouted the hose or modified the intake boot, other than trimming some ribs off?

I do recall one issue with the intake snorkel. I remember that it was close. I tried to make my arm longer to increase the leverage since I was losing speed at high altitudes when going up a grade at freeway speeds. IIRC I kept making the arm longer until it hit the intake and then made it just short enough to clear.
I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom