Article [13] ST1300 - Brake Bleed Procedure [VIDEO]

One thing that I do before any brake bleed of the ST is to get a feeling for how the brake pull and pedal push is before I start so I know about how it should feel when I am done. It should be about 2.5" from the center of the handle. This picture is pulling back on the front brake lever until I feel firm resistance.
With my aging eyes, I can't tell what number on the wheel your at etc.
But with the wheel set to position #1, you should only get 3/4 of an inch movement before the lever is solid and unable to be pulled in further.
I just measured mine, and another bike I just flushed the brakes on, and using your measurement method (mid-lever to the edge of the grip) I'm getting 2 3/4 inches instead of 2.
Of course your lever could be adjusted differently, or your pads could be worn down etc.

With my aging eyes, I can't tell what number on the wheel your at etc.
But with the wheel set to position #1, you should only get 3/4 of an inch movement before the lever is solid and unable to be pulled in further.
I just measured mine, and another bike I just flushed the brakes on, and using your measurement method (mid-lever to the edge of the grip) I'm getting 2 3/4 inches instead of 2.
Of course your lever could be adjusted differently, or your pads could be worn down etc.
Aahhhhhhh good point - my lever is on 5 ( closest set in) here is another with it set on ,1,.

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_173143971.jpg
    IMG_20220416_173143971.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
It’s safer to keep the lever out away from the grip on the first position because it allows you more control, and you won’t trap your fingers on the throttle in a panic stop etc.
Your lever looks good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom