Article [13] ST1300 - HISS - Dash behaviour with paired and unpaired keys.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
In the next three posts, I have a video of three different situation showing the dash of an ST1300 equipped with HISS (Honda's Immobilsor System), used on all European bikes, and in a number of other countries.

Video #1 - Using the correct chipped key to successfully start the engine. Watch the HISS light, the FI light and listen for the whirr of the fuel pump. I've ramped up the volume for that section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Video #2 - Using an unchipped key - the steel one that I use for the pannier locks.
Again watch the HISS light, the FI light and listen for the whirr of the fuel pump. (There is nothing to hear - the pump doesn't operate at all - but you listen for it and note that there is no sound)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Video #3 - Using an unchipped key, but this time using the fob part of a broken key in order to start the engine.

Note that once the HISS and FI lights have gone off, the system does not look for the chip again until you next try to start it. Once the engine has been started using a chipped fob placed alongside the key in the ignition, you can ride all day without the chip next to the key as long as the engine keeps going. You need the chip or the chipped key handle to restart it if the engine has been turned off. I think it will restart immediately after a stall without the chip (I haven't tried this since 2007).

The engine was a bit sluggish starting up in this video because I had just been filming the previous video - cranking the engine without it firing. It was probably a bit wet inside.

Last edited:

SkitzyMcGee

Mechanical Mastermind
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Good afternoon jfheath, I have a semi related question regarding the HISS system.

I have recently installed an instrument cluster that happens to have the HISS system indicator light into my non-HISS 2005 ST1300. Am I potentially causing an issue by using the HISS dash?

I was able to ride the bike around the neighborhood for a test ride with no problems, but I don’t want to be left stranded on a longer trip or damage the fuel pump somehow. The HISS light does blink red every five or so seconds.

I assumed the HISS system was integrated into the ECU or something. Please let me know if you have any insight into this, thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The HISS system is part of the ECU.
I don't know about the dash, but there would be a wire from the ECU to power the HISS light. That might suggest a different connector, or more likely, the same connector with a missing wire.
I can't imagine that there would be any issues otherwise - but I do not know for certain.

SkitzyMcGee

Mechanical Mastermind
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
The HISS system is part of the ECU.
I don't know about the dash, but there would be a wire from the ECU to power the HISS light. That might suggest a different connector, or more likely, the same connector with a missing wire.
I can't imagine that there would be any issues otherwise - but I do not know for certain.
Okay, thank you for confirming that! If I make any new “accidental discoveries” while doing further testing I’ll be sure to update this thread.

Top Bottom