Article [13] ST1300 - HISS (UK) and Chipped Ignition Key.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
How to reprogram the ignition keys with HISS. These instructions are provided in the UK Honda Workshop Manual, but I have tidied them up and illustrated them with my own pictures and have added comments and explanations from my own experience.

You can program up to 4 keys, but they all have to be programmed at the same time. If you have keys that are already programmed and which will start the bike, they also have to be reporgrammed - using one of them as a reference. It is not possible to program a new key if you do not have at least one that already works.

Honda supply a special harness for carrying out this operation. I made my own.

Do this at your own risk. Make a mess of it and potentially, it would require a new ECU.

Having sad that, I have followed my own instructions many times and all has gone very smoothly.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
HONDA PAN EUROPEAN
How to reprogram the ignition keys with HISS. These instructions are provided in the UK Honda Workshop Manual, but I have tidied them up and illustrated them with my own pictures and have added comments and explanations from my own experience.

You can program up to 4 keys, but they all have to be programmed at the same time. If you have keys that are already programmed and which will start the bike, they also have to be reporgrammed - using one of them as a reference. It is not possible to program a new key if you do not have at least one that already works.

Do thihis at your own risk. Make a mess of it and potentially, it would require a new ECU.

Having sad that, I have followed my own instructions many times and all has gone very smoothly.
hi,thank you very much for your reply,i have HISS on my bike and i have one key working fine,i just need to have another one as spare,i will follow the instructions and fingers crossed i will have two working keys .

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi John:

Wow, a fascinating post, though I note it is from a long, long time ago (2012). My bike is North American spec, but I still enjoyed reading your "how-to". It is, like all of your how-to's, extraordinarily well written.

Michael

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Applies to all non-US.... If I may add..... get the blank keys with or without chip and have them cut. Obtain chips, the Honda ones are ID46. You can get both from AliExpress......
Here is a video for a VFR800, very similar video available elsewhere, CBF1000, etc. Same procedure. The video is just repeating info in the .pdf.

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's a really useful addition Ray. Thankyou.

As you can see - I posted this 8 years ago, and yesterday was the first comment ! Rumours of blank chips were around at the time, but so were rumours of their unreliabilty. Things have moved on !

In the video, he shows a resistor - I cannot make out what he says, but the colour banding looks like brown black brown - which is 100 ohms - and is what I used.

He tests the keys by just turning the key in the ignition. He doesn't say what he is checking for. Turn the sound up - there is the short whirring noise of an electric motor. That is the fuel pump springing into life. It doesn't do that if the chip isn't coded properly. The obvious test is to fire up the engine, but if you are working late at night, and don't want to disturb neighbours ...... There is probably an indication on the HISS lamp too, but I have never noticed.

On the ST1300 the connector is in the harness tied to the seat frame, right hand side, rear. Same type of connector but is white. There is a red connector nearby but the Honda Manual says to use the white one.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I cannot make out what he says, but the colour banding looks like brown black brown - which is 100k ohms and is what I used.
I see the same color code - brown black brown. He says 100 "R" by the sound of it. I have no idea if his accent is playing hob with what he said or if he did say "R". Brown black brown should be 100Ω. Brown black yellow would be 100KΩ.

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I see the same color code - brown black brown. He says 100 "R" by the sound of it. I have no idea if his accent is playing hob with what he said or if he did say "R". Brown black brown should be 100Ω.
Quite right. My typo. My article states 100 ohms. I was thinking 100ohms. But at the same time I was pondering why some people have used a 1K resistor to do the same job (which also works apparently). I must remember not to get two thoughts in my head at the same time. It never works out.

Original post corrected. Thanks @ST Gui .

Do this at your own risk. Make a mess of it and potentially, it would require a new ECU.

Hi,
Can you clarify the limit on coding only 4 keys? Is it a case that you can only code 4 keys during the process which can only be performed once, or can the process be completed multiple times?
Thanks
Mike

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The total number of keys that can be registered/programmed with the bike at any one time is 4. New Hondas come with 2 registered keys when new.

You can program and re-program the keys repeatedly. All keys have to be programmed / reprogrammed at the same time. (If you re-program just one, the remaining three will not work.)
You have to have one key that will start the bike in order to program the others. If you have just one key that will start the bike, you can buy 3 key blanks and reprogram all 4 together, starting with the one that works.
If you lose a key, it makes sense to reprogram the remaining keys - the lost key will then not be able to start the bike.

If you buy a new ECU, you need blank keys in order to register them. If you buy a 2nd hand ECU, you must have a key that was registered with the ECU (ie that started the bike) in order for it to be of any use.

You can not re-program a key that has been previously programmed with another bike.

So far with my present bike I have registered my keys 4 times.
Once when I bought a new third key. (All 3 re-registered)
Once when I lost a key (remaining 2 were re-registered to disable the lost key)
Once when I bought a new third key (all 3 re-registered)
Once when I found the lost key (all 4 re-registered).

Last edited:
I own ST 1300 Paneuropean 2006 , i have original harness but for some reason bike does not get in to key reprogramming mode!
When i turn the ignition on i can still hear the fuel pump working! , even my Honda mechanic cannot figure it out! Can anybody help please?

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I own ST 1300 Paneuropean 2006 , i have original harness but for some reason bike does not get in to key reprogramming mode!
When i turn the ignition on i can still hear the fuel pump working! , even my Honda mechanic cannot figure it out! Can anybody help please?
Everything that you need to know about this is in the pdf file in Post #1 of this thread.
Subsequent posts provide additional links.
You need to find the connector on the right hand side of the bike under the pillion seat on the tubular seat frame. Photo included in the pdf file.

Read it through carefully before you do anything. There's some preparation to do.

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a note - this isn't a secret 'hack'. The procedure is described in the Uk Honda Workshop Manual, but it is not illustrated and doesn't provide the same level of explanation.

Note also. For HISS equipped bikes, If the fuel pump whirrs into action when you turn on the ignition with the kill switch on, then that is a sure sign that the HISS programmed key has been recognised.

Last edited:
Just a note - this isn't a secret 'hack'. The procedure is described in the Uk Honda Workshop Manual, but it is not illustrated and doesn't provide the same level of explanation.

Note also. For HISS equipped bikes, If the fuel pump whirrs into action when you turn on the ignition with the kill switch on, then that is a sure sign that the HISS programmed key has been recognised.
We have used original harness from Honda, my problem is as follows, after connecting the crocodile clips to the plug (correct plug under the seat ) and use the original coded key to turn ignition on the bike you hear the fuel pump working ,bike still does the initial check and HISS light blinks as normal! ,as far as i know the fuel pump is not supposed to work and HISS light should stay on! But its not happening! I am baffled!,Its like bike refuses to go in to key reprogramming mode !, Thank you for your replies to my regarding my problem.

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok check the resistance of both cable leads from crocodile clip to the terminal in the connector. Both leads should show continuity. One should have a resistance (I believe it will be 100 ohms). It is possible that the cable is broken - maybe at the resistor.

Ok check the resistance of both cable leads from crocodile clip to the terminal in the connector. Both leads should show continuity. One should have a resistance (I believe it will be 100 ohms). It is possible that the cable is broken - maybe at the resistor.
Thank you very much , i will try again ,hopefully it will work!

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you cannot see the wire colours of the original Honda wire - those Hitachi connectors are used a lot on the ST1300. They all have a groove down the length of one side which prevents any chance of them being plugged together the wrong way round. That groove is always (from my observations) the side that is closest to the earth wire - so that is the side which should have the negative battery lead and the white lead in the main harness. An extract from the video that @RaYzerman posted - the groove is on the side facing the camera with the white lead on the left and the black lead on the right of the picture - both connected together on the grooved side facing the camera. Ive checked that Video everything is about the same as on the ST1300.

1667930291295.png

Last edited:
If you cannot see the wire colours of the original Honda wire - those Hitachi connectors are used a lot on the ST1300. They all have a groove down the length of one side which prevents any chance of them being plugged together the wrong way round. That groove is always (from my observations) the side that is closest to the earth wire - so that is the side which should have the negative battery lead and the white lead in the main harness. An extract from the video that @RaYzerman posted - the groove is on the side facing the camera with the white lead on the left and the black lead on the right of the picture - both connected together on the grooved side facing the camera. Ive checked that Video everything is about the same as on the ST1300.

1667930291295.png
Thank you very much for your help

Top Bottom