Article [13] ST1300 - Saddlebag Power Without Disconnects

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
In my never ending quest to farkelize my ride in a unique and safer fashion, I found some 15" long 18 led light strips at Walmart. I did a search on the site for an install like this but I found nothing. So, I will share my thoughts and ideas so that I may save others time and trouble if they desire to add the same farkelization.

My original purchase was from the clearance rack and I had to go to a larger city Walmart to find a matching light strip. The batteries that power the "try me" switch also fit some electronic calipers - that helps offset the cost of the item in future savings.

These fit perfectly on the sides of the saddlebags and the red lights are perfect markers for the rear of the bike.

The only problem I have is that I don't want to disconnect wires every time I remove the bag. So, why not build a quick disconnect for the power into the bag mounting system?

The 2 rubber pads on top of the saddlebags are the perfect location and they are electrically insulated. The top clamp that pushes down on these pads is metal and is grounded to the frame, already. 50% of the problem is solved. A paper thin strip of copper soldered onto a power wire and dielectrically glued to the clamp solves the other 50%.

The rubber stops were removed, then drilled out to accept the wires & rivets, pads were re-installed, wired through the pads and copper rivets for the contacts were soldered to the ends of the wires. The copper rivets were then installed into the drilled out holes in the rubber stops.

The wiring inside the saddlebags was secured with my favorite metal duct seal tape (strong stuff). I only had to drill one hole in each bag where the wiring from the light strip had to enter the inside of the bag.

There is an existing factory hole just large enough to get the wiring through underneath the rubber pads. Disconnect the inner bag limit strap and secure the wiring with the bags WIDE open. Run the wiring through the little loops at the bottom of the bag hinge and this will keep the wiring guided during opening and closing of the bags. This will be the only part of my wiring that is exposed. The rest is secured underneath the tape for a clean install.

Everything worked out real slick. The only problem I encountered was when I used a fat copper washer to provide 12v(+) power on the bottom of the clamp mechanism. The thickness induced too much load on the double sided foam tape and eventually shorted to the clamp. A very thin, as in paper thin, strip of copper was needed to be used so as to alleviate this problem. A 0.5 or 1.0 amp fuse is also required before the power line gets to the clamp in case of a repeat of this problem. So far, so good.

I've still got to get some fuses and a fuse holder to finish my install. Other than the permanent wiring, the job is done. I hope that the glue that comes on these strips holds on for a long time. If it does not, I will search around for some better quality lighting. Advance Auto had some better strips with a lifetime warranty but they were not in stock and had a hefty price tag. Now that I know I can wire this system my way, it will be worth the investment to buy better lighting.

If you have trouble finding the copper rivets or sheeting, pm me and I can make up a kit to help you along. I've got lots of rivets and plenty of copper sheet kicking around the shop.

Maybe now it is time to install a switch and interior lighting for the hardbags????:D

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Re: Saddlebag Power without wiring disconnects

I've thought about a similiar setup but running on Battery power with smaller lights...

Just a small Led light with battery power inside...kind of like the portable lights for bicycles...just for the occasional night time usage...

Byron

STOC #

Thanks! Now I have to think about spending more money on the bike. :D

Good job, but it really doesn't take long to disconnect a standard SAE connector.

OP
OP
treemuncher

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #

Good job, but it really doesn't take long to disconnect a standard SAE connector.
I agree however, I probably remove my saddlebags more often than most others do. If you forget to disconnect a coupler, you pull the wires and these wires are very, very small. It would take very little pressure to cut them. I've severed them by hand and the drop of a bag could do it very easily. Couplers are also going to hang out somewhere and they are not that cheap, anymore.

I deal with hydraulic and electrical quick disconnects all of the time. This solution saves time and is incorporated with the bag mount. Besides that, it saved me money because I had the copper rivets and sheet copper in stock in the shop.

Any time that I can save over the long term is money saved for me. Time saved on the bag connection can go towards productive money making time which eventually results in more riding time! :D

good idea the light look really smart well done:07biker:

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #

I can see these as running lights/turn signal flashers. Great idea. Thanks.

Marshal

OP
OP
treemuncher

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #

What happens when rain water gets in there, or you ride without the bags to hold the upper contacts in place?
It is such a low amperage draw, any water should not be much of a concern. I've used a 1 amp or smaller fuse to protect the system so not much heat would be generated on a short before the fuse blows. With the contacts fitting so tightly together on the clamp, I don't see water as an issue and the clamping mechanism is well covered and out of the way of any direct water spray. The only hole I drilled into the bag was the one on the outer face and that has been sealed with black rtv sealer.

The hot contact on the clamp is held in place with double sided adhesive foam tape. It should not go anywhere. My bags are normally on 90% of the time, anyway. My biggest concern is the pressure of the clamp shorting through the adhesive tape as my first attempted mount did with a thick piece of copper- hence the low amperage fusing. This paper thin copper sheeting is working perfectly, so far. If the pressure causes a short in the tape, I will use a thin sheet of hard plastic between the tape and the hot contact.

Thanks! Now I have to think about spending more money on the bike.
I think our safety is worth the small cost of materials and time for this project. It took me as much time to figure out how I was going to do this as the actual install of the second bag. With the instructions I've provided, you can likely install this in an hour or so. Cost of the parts will be about $40 or less for the led strips and misc small parts. Cheap insurance and it looks factory. When the lights are off, no one will even know they are installed. My greatest concern is that the glue may not weather the elements too well. I've been riding in the rain for the past 3 days and I've had no problems, yet!

I can see these as running lights/turn signal flashers. Great idea. Thanks.

Marshal
We could use the two mounting rubber stops into the two hot leads for the turn and running light circuits. An additional contact between those two could contact the clamp for ground. A spring would be a good ground contactor. It should be fairly simple to modify it this way, just more fuses and wiring into the bikes' circuitry. I'm only using mine as running lights. I don't have room for another led strip where it would be well hidden and the factory turn signals are very bright to begin with. A dual element led strip would be the ideal product to install for the running/turn lights though.

:07biker:

Bike
2012 ST1300A

Love the contactor approach to get power in there. The light looks ghey as can be though...:07biker:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

Very slick. Are you at all worried about corrosion on the copper? It oxidized very rapidly. I suppose you could do essentially the same thing with gold foil, and there's likely some sort of gold plated item you could use for the bag side contacts.

OP
OP
treemuncher

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #

Very slick. Are you at all worried about corrosion on the copper? It oxidized very rapidly. I suppose you could do essentially the same thing with gold foil, and there's likely some sort of gold plated item you could use for the bag side contacts.
I don't expect it to oxidize very quickly. If it does, I'll hit it with emery paper and them some di-electric grease to protect it. If that fails, I'll tin the contacts with solder. Last chance - I'll have to figure how to braze or solder stainless in place. I've got stainless shim stock but it won't solder up or work as easy as copper will.

Bike
2006 St1300

Great article and implementation. Thanks!

OP
OP
treemuncher

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #

OK, why stop at a good thing????

If you have a BESTEM BOX here is an easy quick disconnect system for that, too. I used the same copper rivet idea, just this time the rivets are set in the bottom of the box (drill hole, insert rivet, peen over flat, solder wires) and the rubber bumper feet on the mounting plate. I used my favored metal foil tape to keep the wires in place inside the box and under the mounting plate, some ultra black rtv sealer to keep the water out and the contacts insulated.

I wired this system into my Hyperlites so now the Bestem lights are running lights and flashing brake lights too.

Attachments

Top Bottom