The downside of single sided swingarms.

Bike
2010 ST1300
What did I miss here? The wheel supposedly fell off his bike, but he steered it off the road with little to no drama? What part of his bike touched down when the wheel exited? No damage to the oil pan or sprocket?

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Looks like the brake caliper.
Good he didn’t get distracted by the pillion pointing out the problem. Who by the way was no drama as well.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Holy xxxx! What, he didnt tighten the lug nut enough or check before a ride? Damn lucky guy... (Assuming it is a single nut via Ducati.)

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
If I remember the torque on the nut is 240ft/lbs for the bigger Ducs and 180ft/lbs on the smaller bikes plus there's a retainer clip. Nothing wrong with single sided swingarms!

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If I remember the torque on the nut is 240ft/lbs for the bigger Ducs and 180ft/lbs on the smaller bikes plus there's a retainer clip. Nothing wrong with single sided swingarms!
Wasn't knocking them. My new Gold Wing has one. Just needed a play on words aka the bike went "down" on the single sided swingarm.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've said that mechanical systems will fail in every way possible, and even some ways that are a surprise. A friend took his Bellanca Super Viking up only to loose all oil pressure at altitude. The engine seized and he crash landed when a slight dip in the field turned the plane into trees (he walked away w/ a bruised arm). A certified mechanic had changed the vacuum pump, but had left the bolts finger tight when he went to lunch and did not torque them after he returned. The engine pumped the oil overboard. If a certified powerplant and airframe mechanic can screw up so badly, for sure a dealer can forget to tighten the wheel to the swingarm.

My Father had a rule (he rebuilt crashed heli airframes) Check it once , check it twice , and third make F#×€ing sure it's RIGHT. Airplanes and Motorcycles have no room for errors. Nothing wrong with having someone check your work .

Top Bottom