MSRP $17,699

2010 R1200RT ABS
Standard Package: $17,945
includes cruise & heated grips

Hmmmm

Maintenance vs. Upkeep?

Farkles vs. Forums?

Honda vs. Bmw?

What bike runs longer and has lower operating costs per mile?

In my opinion, Honda!

:banr1:

What can I say, I'm Biased! :hat4:

The pricing gap has closed:

2010 ST1300 ABS
MSRP $17,699

2010 R1200RT ABS

Hmmmm

The pricing gap may have closed but it's still two very different motorcycles. By all reason the RT should cost much less. It's not a liquid cooled V4.

Ray

:trolls

dude..its been discussed adnauseum..back to BMWRT with you...Unless you have something more constructive to add...(especially after your first service)

I wonder how much more below MSRP you will be able to buy the Honda? Also, if you wait until 2011 or 2012, you'll probably be able to buy a new leftover Honda for much less than that.

I don't know many that buy an ST at MSRP... typically, you can find a new one at 3-4k less than MSRP, at least in the southern states, I think it's harder in the northeast from what I've seen..

Is that the same with BMW? I have no idea.

Maintenance vs. Upkeep?

Farkles vs. Forums?

Honda vs. Bmw?

What bike runs longer and has lower operating costs per mile?

In my opinion, Honda!

:banr1:

What can I say, I'm Biased! :hat4:

Dang you took the words out of my mouth!

I love my F800GS, but BMW sure is proud of their maintenance techs.

Example: 600 mile service is over $200 for an oil change and some bolt tightening.

Cheers,
Pete

I might have even sprung the extra for a BMW, just for the "status effect" but after being IGNORED at the only BMW dear in town (Several times) and then seeing how long it takes for the average joe (no pun intended joe) to get (expensive) service with the PD getting priority all the time.

Three weeks for a $200 oil change was too much for me!

I did my 6,000 service on my GSA and it didn't cost me anything but oil and a filter. While the valve checks come more frequent, on the boxer engine, it is a WHOLE LOT EASIER than on the ST!

A friend of mine rides a BMW boxer...just today, he was talking about the 5 hours of labor the dealer charged (@ $90/Hr) to change the brake fluid in his ABS bike...

I did my 6,000 service on my GSA and it didn't cost me anything but oil and a filter. While the valve checks come more frequent, on the boxer engine, it is a WHOLE LOT EASIER than on the ST!
Yes, it is a lot easier on the BMW to check/adjust the valves but working on the bikes isn't really a chore - I enjoy the time. Since I do the valves three times as often on the BMW I am not sure I save any time over the ST though and by the time I throw in the air filter and hydraulic system flush which I do at valve checks things are about even. Does your GSA have a final drive drain or is it one of the model years that you have to practically disassemble the FD to change the "lifetime" FD lubricant?

The pricing gap has closed:

2010 ST1300 ABS
MSRP $17,699

2010 R1200RT ABS

Hmmmm

Oh....I find this very funny! :D Dave aka dkjkwood is my riding buddy and he only posted this because I am the one who "kids" him about his "expensive" BMW (stands for Better Motor Wanted; Big Money Waste; "look its a Bavarian Tractor etc. etc.:p:).
He really, really wanted the Honda but BMW promised him that the "prestige" of their bike made up for all of the maintenance issues and that the air you breathe, while sitting high above all the peons on their inferior bikes was better. :D Honda could only offer reliability and "normal air".
So lets don't go down this road with him! He's only trying to justify his purchase with his wife! ;)

Hey, life is short, ride what you want and like and if you end up not liking it, ride something else.

Only the owner can access the true value of what he owns.

I don't know many that buy an ST at MSRP... typically, you can find a new one at 3-4k less than MSRP, at least in the southern states, I think it's harder in the northeast from what I've seen..

Is that the same with BMW? I have no idea.

I just happened to be looking at this yesterday...

$8279.00 for an NT and 13,879 for a VFR at Sunrise..
http://www.sunrisehonda.com/

Yes, it is a lot easier on the BMW to check/adjust the valves but working on the bikes isn't really a chore - I enjoy the time.

I enjoy riding. :bow1: I save more money not doing the maintenance on my BMW than not doing it on my Honda :D.

I enjoy riding. :bow1: I save more money not doing the maintenance on my BMW than not doing it on my Honda :D.

If you have enough bikes in the stable, you never have to do maintenance! Just keep shorting the right stocks and start with new ones.

If you have enough bikes in the stable, you never have to do maintenance!

I've put 100K+ on individual bikes and never changed the clutch or brake fluid - never had a clutch or brake problem; never had an engine problem (since the 80's) either; .....coincidence???????:p:

Back
Top Bottom