Triumph GT Announced?!?!?!

Meanwhile watch this space, there is a rumour the Trophy will be back in 2012. Spec unknown but expect ~1200cc, shaft, taller and more upright than the Sprint, hopefully 260-300 mile range.

Keep your fingers crossed! My good friend, who has the last production year Trophy 1200 (was that 2001?), has been running that rumor every year since he bought it.

Poor guy has been waiting for almost a decade.

If they do revise the 1200, it'll get an instant look from me.

I havnt looked lately!...But willing to bet one thing STILL wrong with Triumph...Lack of dealerships!

This is a problem with BMW as well. I read somewhere that BMW & Triumph had about the same # of dealerships in the US. This surprised me as I figured that BMW would have had considerably more.

I've been studying sport-touring type bikes to get an idea of what to get next. I like the size & weight of the smaller types such as the VFR & Sprint (currently own a VFR but want ABS). I am really drawn to the Sprint because: #1) I like the looks #2) I can get it w/ABS brakes #3) after having owned three VFR's, it would be nice to get something different next time.

Something else I like about this new Sprint GT is that it appears to be using a proven platform that's been out since 2005. The only difference I can see between the GT & ST is the following:

GT/ST
Weight: 591# / 530#
Wheelbase: 60.5"/57.3"

Everything else about the GT looks essentially like the ST so unless there are significant changes that aren't apparent in the pictures, you're looking at a bike whose bugs have mostly been worked out. I don't like the idea of using my hard earned money to beta test someone else's expensive products.

Despite the non-hydraulic clutch and the lack of dealer network, I still like the ST/GT so I may give one or the other serious thought when the time arrives.

Oh, and I'll also have to get over the PTSD that resulted from owning three Lucas charged Triumphs back in the 60's. God those things would run like a bat out of hell.... WHEN they ran. I built up some serious leg muscles trying to push start those beautiful machines! :D:D

Something else I like about this new Sprint GT is that it appears to be using a proven platform that's been out since 2005. The only difference I can see between the GT & ST is the following:

GT/ST
Weight: 591# / 530#
Wheelbase: 60.5"/57.3"

Everything else about the GT looks essentially like the ST so unless there are significant changes that aren't apparent in the pictures, you're looking at a bike whose bugs have mostly been worked out.

Although the motor and main frame components seem to carry over, it looks like a number of other components are changing.

"The main twin-spar aluminum beam frame is carried over from the Sprint ST, while the 43mm front forks have received updated internals for improved control and damping. The rest of the chassis is brand new, specifically designed for the GT."

"All-new rear shock also embraces the GT?s practicality drive, featuring a remote pre-load adjuster wheel which is easily accessible and can be changed by hand to accommodate solo and two-up riding."

"The GT features newly-styled and better performing reflector headlights, offering improved distribution of light over the previous ST?s projector type units."

"Revised brakes with lighter discs, more rigidly mounted for greater durability, and a new brake pad formulation providing greater feel and approximately 10% increase in braking performance."

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/12312_12327.aspx

Although the motor and main frame components seem to carry over, it looks like a number of other components are changing.

Fortunately those changes aren't things that are likely to leave you stranded if initially flawed.

First review.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-sprint-gt-review

Triumph_SprintGT_08.JPG

Something else I like about this new Sprint GT is that it appears to be using a proven platform that's been out since 2005.

Hmmm.... I may have spoken too soon. Seems there have been clutch problems on some of the recent models. Most of the complaints in the thread below have to do with the '08 model ST's. Hopefully it's something that Triumph has addressed and fixed. A few too many "me too's" in this thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/127299-help-with-clutch-on-08-sprint.html

Seeing the pictures in the thread brought back memories of me working on my Tiger Cub's clutch back in the 60's.

I'm looking forward to getting up close and personal with the GT although i know looks can be decieving, I drooled over the Ducati ST3 until I rode one, nearly fried my right leg and was hard on my old wrists, little to "sport" for me

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U-WR6NX0bM"]Latest on the GT. It's a UK ad, would love to see more of this on the US side of the pond.

New read in Cycle World sez it's still on the sport side of sport/tour but more tour than the ST. Sounding good to me except the "only" 200 mile range. Looks good, price is good, save maybe $8000 compared to the new 1200-T.

I don't understand why they didn't build it with an adjustable windshield.
But they do offer an optional taller windscreen.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQCVb7qYp00
Hope I got this on rite has anyone seen this yet

thanks for the link to videos...very interesting...of course...if $bucks are no object then get the beemer...however...that suzy is very well positioned & "good enough" for many (like me, for instance)...:03biker::)

Good comparison.

That particular Suz model is not imported to the states tho.

Would the Bandit 1250 ABS be a close fit to that model if farkled up? I know there is less fairing on the Bandit though.

I would choose not to afford the BMW even though it would be nice to have. Dealer too far away and service after warranty would totally scare me away. Price point of entry just not worth it to me either.

JDP

Would the Bandit 1250 ABS be a close fit to that model if farkled up? I know there is less fairing on the Bandit though.

I would choose not to afford the BMW even though it would be nice to have. Dealer too far away and service after warranty would totally scare me away. Price point of entry just not worth it to me either.

JDP

I'm pretty sure the Bandit ABS is the same platform. Don't know if the Suz catalog has fairings but they do have bags for the Bandit.

You can get the Bandit 1250 with faring,bags,topbox and a taller windscreen all from Suzuki.. I believe the last time I looked into it the price was under $9,500.. No shaft drive or adjustable windscreen... Really fast!!! 17" front tire so getting skins are no problem... Did I say it's fast??

mitch

Back
Top Bottom