Amazing! Husband refuses to let his wife wear a helmet to ride pillion.

In the end it should be an individual decision.

Just what I was thinking, however, I have the right to refuse anyone transportation on the back of my bike. I would not carry someone I cared about with out a helmet if there were one available. I'd feel too guilty if something were to happen.

She should really hit him in the pocket book..............take the MSF Course, buy her own bike and full gear or what ever amount gear she wants to wear. Then when he refuses to let her tag along.....................go her own way and let him go his.

That's a great suggestion ;)

But, it appears like Ricks relative isn't quite the type of lady to do such a thing.

Sounds to me too Rick like the guy cares mostly about his image, and thinks wearing gear is unnecessary... We've seen this before. Would honestly advise the wife to just refuse to ride also: "No Helmet? not me then... and I wish you'd wear one too!"

pretty amazing guy... not!

being told not to wear one is no better than being told to wear one. In the end it should be an individual decision.

As I read the posts I was thinking the same thing, I would not let my wife ride helmet-less, and she would not let me, and we made our kids all have good gear when riding. But the reason is CARING about ones well being, so it is a little different, but not really that much.

It is still a mutual mandate in the end, just a smarter one.

snip...She also told me that a bee got up his shorts while he was riding and stung him last week!

Rick

Maybe the bee stung him where his brains are....

Or it was Anaphylactic Shock causing low low pressure and no blood flow to the brain

I guess that some riders think that not wearing a helmut is an expression of freedom

why not allow wifie a little freedom

Actually, he wasn't "allowing" her some freedom. He was "dictating" that she could not wear a helmet as it would interefere with his freedom. In fact, she has a helmet from when they used to live in California and wants to wear it. Apparently, not wearing a helmet is part of the local culture and among the people he hangs out with.

One more point worth considering is that this is not an accomplished rider. Combine that fact with his attitude and you have a rider that is likely more likely to be involved in an accident (IMHO). Very scary, and I hope she takes my advice.

Rick

The husband obviously has no care about his wife, and is only worried about the "image" he/they convey to his buddies while on the bike.

His refusal to let her wear a helmet while riding speaks volumes about how he treats her when they're not on a bike. She needs to dump that jerk before he kills her, whether accidentally or...

Actually, he wasn't "allowing" her some freedom. He was "dictating" that she could not wear a helmet as it would interefere with his freedom. In fact, she has a helmet from when they used to live in California and wants to wear it. Apparently, not wearing a helmet is part of the local culture and among the people he hangs out with.

One more point worth considering is that this is not an accomplished rider. Combine that fact with his attitude and you have a rider that is likely more likely to be involved in an accident (IMHO). Very scary, and I hope she takes my advice.

Rick

Yup, these are the guys making up the statistics. To them chrome is more important than skill.

Yup, these are the guys making up the statistics. To them chrome is more important than skill.

That's the beautiful part of freedom and choice. He can buy as much chrome as he wants. If he chooses not to improve his riding skills, that's his choice. I have to say this: IMHO she is just as irresponsible as he is if she gets on that pillion without a helmet. Just say NO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick

That has to top my list of stupidest things I've ever heard of anyone doing for sure. While you can't cure stupid, you don't have to hang around with it. :capwin:

I have to say this: IMHO she is just as irresponsible as he is if she gets on that pillion without a helmet. Just say NO.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, and I spoke to her about this. (Actually, I care about her so it was more of a scolding than a talk.) I hope that she'll heed my advice and not get on the back of his bike again without proper gear - minimally a helmet.

Rick

Another verification that God, in his infininte wisdom, somehow made more horses' a**es than he did horses.

If they go down, I hope she lands on him!! He is apparently so hard headed he does not need a helmet.

The husband obviously has no care about his wife, and is only worried about the "image" he/they convey to his buddies while on the bike.

His refusal to let her wear a helmet while riding speaks volumes about how he treats her when they're not on a bike. She needs to dump that jerk before he kills her, whether accidentally or...

Ya hit the nail right on the head here... That, however, means that it is likely that dumping the guy could be more dangerous than riding without a helmet. Anyone who "lets" or "won't let" someone else wear safety gear, or anything else for that matter, likely either uses intimidation to not need to use violence or he's a domestic violence perpetrator. May she survive.

Wow.
This is really sad and not amazing. Where does this kind of thinking come from?
Anyone that has ridden a motorcycle more than one summer knows it in their heart; it is only a question of when and not if.
They are called accidents because you can not plan on the day or the time when disaster may occur.
Now and then I will take that ride without the helmet on, because mother nature has provided to perfect a backdrop and the sun feels just too glorious to be encumbered by the hard hat.
It is always a short (and very sweet) ride, and I focus on being more cautious than normal.
But that is my own decision, made in the full knowledge that, without the helmet on, this could be the last time I will ever ride.
I have the benefit (?) of having once crashed my Electraglide at 55 MPH on the interstate in the dark, and having that cost me only one week in the hospital. I was wearing the helmet that night as I almost always do, but I know without a shadow of a doubt, if I had not been wearing it, I would not be here typing this.
The idea that anyone would impose their will on someone that they love, to the point of death is beyond reason.
Those that fight mandatory helmet laws would be equally appalled; for their mantra is "choice".

Let me add one more piece of information. Many of you probably assumed that the husband was riding a Harley or other bike that he'd have all chromed out.

In fact, he rides a Honda!

Rick

Back
Top Bottom