WOW! Are Bridgestones really THAT bad?!?

Bike
ST1100 SOLD
STOC #
My ST1100 needs new tires, and after looking at the forums here, I had decided to go with a matched set of the new Bridgestone 23's, and was going to order through Keel Brothers. I started looking into local shops to mount them, and was shocked when one shop told me, essentially, "I won't carry Bridgestone and I won't mount them. They're plastic, too hard, and don't have enough traction when cornering. They may last a long time, but what good its that if they can't hold you in a corner?"

That's some seriously strong dislike for Bridgestone if he refuses to carry/work on them. I've had opinionated salespeople before tell me that something is crapola, but it's my money to spend. But this is hardcore!

Anyone want to chime in on this? Are they really durability at the sacrifice of safety?

UPDATE: After all the knowlegable feedback I received, I decided to go with my initial choice and I just ordered a set of New Bridgestone Battleax 23's from Two Brothers/Keel. Thanks for all the responses.

Bullcrap... Yes they are not the 'stickiest' tire out there, but my 020f's hold well enough to scrap the pegs in a turn.

I would say durability over stickieness, but not a safety factor.

That's all BS, Bridgestones are not bad tires at all. The BT020Fs (specific ST1300 fitment) are pretty stiff to mount but many like these tires and get good mileage. I ran a set of them and there's enough traction to drag the foot pegs. That's all you need. When I had my ST1100, my favorite tires were the OEM Bridgestone Exedras. Nimble, neutral handling, good tire life and plenty of grip.

There have been some reports of rapid wear when using the generic versions of Bridgestone tires not specifically designed for the ST.

Sort of like an oil thread but... if there was any concensus it might be dunflops not stones to stay away from.
What he may have said was "my margin is not as good with the stones" LOL.

,,,,,and was shocked when one shop told me, essentially, "I won't carry Bridgestone and I won't mount them. They're plastic, too hard, and don't have enough traction when cornering. They may last a long time, but what good its that if they can't hold you in a corner?"

That could also be 'heard' in different ways,,, such as,,,, ''I can't make enough money off Bridgestones to carry them'' or "I'm on COD with my Bridgestone distributor" or other such truths!;)
Always two sides to a story!
I doubt there's many GOOD shops out there that trash a reputable brand/product the way he did.
I'd say he just has a personal ax to grind for whatever reason.

Thanks for the fast responses. I was thinking the same thing - it's a personal thing. I definitley want to support local shops and help keep em in business, but this was just so out there I thought I'd see what the ST community had to say.

I'm currently on BT-21's and they're due for replacement but no complaints in the 2000 miles I've put on them. Thinking I'll find another shop do do the installation, and go with my first chioice - the new BT-23's.

Now, what oil should I be running...

I'm running a set of Exedras on my 99 1100 and have no complaints. they handle well enough to drag the pegs, seem to do OK in the rain and are giving me decent mileage. To be fair, I've only had the bike for 2 1/2 years and these were the replacement tyres I put on last year. (yes cost was a factor) I can't compare them to some of the newer tyres but they work for me.

Mike

I definitley want to support local shops and help keep em in business...

Helping out a shop that does things that show it doesn't really want to stay in business is like teaching a pig to sing: it's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.

Painting an entire brand of tires with such a broad brush is really kinda stupid, because every other brand has its share of dogs, too.

--Mark

Hmmmm...how to reply...Last time I checked they where the offical tire of the MotoGP...so I'm not sure where they got the won't stick in a curve issue from...They are supplied on a lot of bikes OEM...They are our number 2/3 selling tire we have right in the running for Dunlop...We see very, very few warranty issues with Bridgestone...they have great shop/customer support when needed... but heck what do I know we're just a couple of redneck brothers down in Ga.

I would go to another shop that would give you the support your looking for. I'm sure there's a another local guy that would love the support and support you back. If not take a little ride to Ga. I would be glad to help you out personally.

I got 10,000+ miles out of my last pair of Battleax's. I'm staying w/'em!

Couldn't agree more Mark. I just meant that I wanted to buy local when I can without paying through the nose to help keep the local shops in business. Not gonna wast money with a scetchy business though... Amazingly, we just had a new Honda dealership open in Rockville MD!

Hmmmm...how to reply...Last time I checked they where the offical tire of the MotoGP...so I'm not sure where they got the won't stick in a curve issue from...They are supplied on a lot of bikes OEM...They are our number 2/3 selling tire we have right in the running for Dunlop...We see very, very few warranty issues with Bridgestone...they have great shop/customer support when needed... but heck what do I know we're just a couple of redneck brothers down in Ga.

I would go to another shop that would give you the support your looking for. I'm sure there's a another local guy that would love the support and support you back. If not take a little ride to Ga. I would be glad to help you out personally.

Thanks for the input! Put a set of the BT23's aside for me and I'll order em as soon as I find a decnt shop that'll install em for me.

I would go to another shop that would give you the support your looking for. .

Got anyone in mind??? :D

I've run five sets of Bridgestones on my ST. Heck, I keep replacing my Battleax tires with another set. I'm not aggressive enough to need a more sticky tire, and I get no less than 10,000 miles a set.

Until they severely disappoint me, get identified as the sole reason for Global Climate Change, eat a small child, or suddenly make me smart... I'll stick with 'em. I like 'em fine, even though there may be better tires out there.

And, incidentally, if you can find a place to mount 'em or do it yourself... Two Bros. got me my last set only a day slower than picking 'em up at the local shop. They've got my business from now on.

I used to run the PR2's... but had 021s and have a set of 023s on mine now because the dealer was out of Michelins.... I think they are a very good tar !!! I haven't had the burning desire to have to go back to the PR2 or PR3

Check the member tire change services map. There are 2 on there that are semi close to you. You will be able to get it done cheaply (most likely free) and learn how to do the proper lube and maintenance while doing it.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Clearly the shop has a personal ax to grind with Bridgestone. Decided to go with the Battleax 23's, and just orderd a set from Two Brothers online. ( I tried to call to order on the phone, but I think y'all Gone Fishin) ;o)

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Clearly the shop has a personal ax to grind with Bridgestone. Decided to go with the Battleax 23's, and just orderd a set from Two Brothers online. ( I tried to call to order on the phone, but I think y'all Gone Fishin) ;o)

I didn't read all the posts but there are nothing wrong with them in my opinion. Now I mount tires for people and would agree that they are tough to mount. My guess is that they don't like dealing with them. They probably have scratched a rim or two and had customers come back screaming. With a Bridgestone I won't say I can mount them and take them off without scratching a rim. I will say that for a Michelin PR2 or Avon Storms. Now if you had a 1300 and you wanted an Avon Storm mounted and the shop did their homework I would understand why they would say no. That is for another discussion though oh and the Avon Storm is fine for the 1100 that you have. It is only an issue on the 1300.

Thanks to Keel Brothers for the prompt service. :yr1: I just had my new BT023's delivered, and I'll be getting them installed first thing tomorrow morning, and putting miles on em in the afternoon.

:-D

Back
Top Bottom