Opinions needed/wanted...

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm going to replace the front wheel bearings, steering head bearings(with tapered), and forks seals and oil on my '06 ST1300. I know about All Balls Racing products but another name popped up here. CBR bearings? I haven't heard of them. Whats your preference??? What about changing to Progressive springs? Should I?

Thanks,

Gary :06biker:

The only thing I can comment on is the progressive springs. Overall the Hyperpros have done a fine job of making my ST handle better in the twisties, but they do some freakishly odd wobbling now and then in slow turns that really make me pucker severely. I'm not the only one who's experienced this on the board (Curt and Rich know what I'm talking about).

I got my steering stem bearings (and a set of front and rear wheel bearings for later) from CBR. They have everything you need prepackaged and ready to go. I was very well satisfied in my dealings with them. 1-800-769-5388

I bought All Balls because that is what the parts house I used carried on the shelf. The ST1300 kit has bearings and dust seals needed like the other guys does.

Your weight and whether or not you ride with a passenger has everything to do with the springs you choose. What say ye?

I mostly ride solo. About 6' 230#. Sometimes the wife will go, pretty light weight. :rolleyes:

The springs are cheap and make a noticeable difference even if you are a passive rider. Aggressive???More noticeable improvement.
I have had no issue with AllBalls. I did just recently however find that CBR has a lifetime warranty an their head bearings. Maybe all of them,,,I don't know. When I read that John Oo spoke of sending the old ones back I had to find out why. I should read the small print I guess.:eek::

Cruiser...I got 33k on it. It doesn't have any symtoms, but just looking to improve things and/or prevent problems from happening. I heard stories of bearing failure way too early and stories of lots of miles. Just covering some bases.

Cruiser...I got 33k on it. It doesn't have any symtoms, but just looking to improve things and/or prevent problems from happening. I heard stories of bearing failure way too early and stories of lots of miles. Just covering some bases.

Thanks, just wanted to see if this was something I needed to be on the lookout for.

I'm going to replace the front wheel bearings, steering head bearings(with tapered), and forks seals and oil on my '06 ST1300. I know about All Balls Racing products but another name popped up here. CBR bearings? I haven't heard of them. Whats your preference??? What about changing to Progressive springs? Should I?

Thanks,

CBR bearings: They send you the bearings in a kit with the seals. Takes the guess work out of the equation. Call them up tell them you want Wheel bearings for ST1100 or ST1300 and you get a nice little package a few days later. Of course you have to give them your credit card #:)

Example:

You can go here and check the suggested spring rate for a 230 lb rider: http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/ST1300/2004-11

If the link doesn't work for you Race Tech suggests a 1.0 kg/mm spring for a 230 lb rider on an ST1300. Lots of owners opt for the 1.2 kg/mm springs. I think that is too stiff for a 230 lb solo rider but if their sag numbers bear out the choice it's all good.

It is questionable whether tapered vs. roller is of real benefit in the steering head if they are properly greased and torqued, but many opt for tapered. I would go straight rate vs. a progressive rate front spring, but new springs will give you bang for the buck. The weakness is the lack of damping adjustments, which you can tweak to some degree with fork oil weight and amount, or Gold Valves or such (don't know if GP Suspension in Oregon has anything for the ST). As for wheel bearings, if you replace them, I would repack before installation to ensure there is enough grease (normally manufacturers say they fill 30%, but why not 50% with a good quality #2 (#1 too runny) grease, or moly or titanium dioxide grease).

A friend bought some all-balls bearings and found they were Chinese. Everything I've ever received from CBR have been well known Japanese brands. I tend to lean toward CBR, they've been a big STOC supporter for years.

I need rear wheel bearings before spring, I'll be going with CBR. I know I could source what I need locally from the bearing supplier, but CBR has good prices and by the time I research all the part numbers I need, I might as well go with what is known to work.

For steering head bearings, the nice thing about tapered is that they last longer than ball for the direction of load a steering head takes; and they are serviceable. When you would normally be replacing ball bearings, just disassemble, clean, repack, and retorque the old tapered bearings and you will be like new again.

You can go here and check the suggested spring rate for a 230 lb rider: http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Honda/ST1300/2004-11

If the link doesn't work for you Race Tech suggests a 1.0 kg/mm spring for a 230 lb rider on an ST1300. Lots of owners opt for the 1.2 kg/mm springs. I think that is too stiff for a 230 lb solo rider but if their sag numbers bear out the choice it's all good.

Does anyone know the OE front spring rate on my '06 ST1300?

Back
Top Bottom