Ride For Cambodia?

I think I'm about maxed out on devices. I 'll keep the phone option opened to discussion poolside. I'll bring my old Droid Pro to use with local service if that's the way we go. Tthanks for the info links guys.
I got my international Motorcycle and auto drivers licence dated January 10th .
Here I AM practicing my beach persona at Fort Lauderdale real time.
2ehupumu.jpg

Droid S 3 & TT2

I'll be in Bangkok at 1:15 AM on Tuesday, January 15th!!!

Woo hoo!!!!

I fly back from Chiang Mai on Saturday, February 9th at around midnight. I'm just hoping we can make it from Phnom Penh to Chiang Mai in 9 days!

I'm relieved to hear you committed to the adventure, Dace. Hope you got a got price being you are flying in and out of different cities.
There should be no reason Joe and I can't meet you and George at the New Siam Riverside.
Also, there should be no problem getting to Chaing Mai in the tighter schedule. We'll do our best to see that you make that flight out.
I know we're all going to wish we had more time to explore when it comes time to leave so we are in the same boat there.

Droid S 3 & TT2

It ended up being about the same as the original cost in and out of PP. So I feel like it was a good deal. Chinese new year made the return flight tricky so I had to be super flexible on those dates to get a reasonable rate.

I would bring my SPOT if I had one. MELLOW offered his to me a second time.
I ran it to Panama and back which was cool but the international ride and being solo somehow stacked the chores at the stops, especially the border crossings. I would be surrounded by "helpers" before I even got off the bike so the SPOT usually took a back seat in the priority list.
I declined JOE'S kind offer with appreciation, going with the understanding that one of us at least would have one and we'd be together generally.
Don't know about smart phone SPOT that works while the service is not available so I will be all ears with regard to that.
This is not a high priority for me but fully understand that others may feel differently.
I am going to know where I am with OSM offline maps on my GS3 phone.
Everyone else can have fun guessing. :)

Droid S 3 & TT2

I will renew my SPOT contract and we will have at least two. I would think thats enough for our sub group. I was hoping I could recoup some phone cost by making my iphone work like a Spot device.
At least the Spot will have tracking and an emergency button to push in the event of. My phone will track and navigate without network access. So i'm not skert of gettin lost but I will have an added incentive to keep up with the group. If one were to get lost/seperated, that translator app could be mighty handy. I used to say, getting lost is half the fun, but I'm not so sure now?:D

I haven't found a voice translator for Khmer or Thai yet. Do they exist?

SPOT, with Spotwalla app enabled

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 with some music, books, and OSMAND GPS;

I-Phone 3 with more music and Google Maps

Nokia GSM phone for local SIM cards.

The only time I'd be concerned about getting lost would be out on that sailboat tour, Captain Geezer...A Three Hour Tour?:mw1::eek:4:

Two chances of that happening...Fat and slim

George, any progress on routing those OSM offline maps on your 7?
I got routes working with the Thailand OSM offline maps on the Droid GS3 with all the phones radios off simulating no service.

It's a user created database in a sort of Wiki way. When (and/or if) we travel a road or path that is not on the OSM database, we can upload the GPX track so others can use it. We'll be world mappers!

I haven't found a voice translator for Khmer or Thai yet. Do they exist?

The Google translator App for Droid seems to be working pretty good. It's got Thai, Lao and Vietnamese.
Tested it at a Viet restaurant and she laughed but understood it.
Chinese spoken into it translated well on a simple test.

Worst case is it'll be an ice breaker and entertainment.

The Google translator App for Droid seems to be working pretty good. It's got Thai, Lao and Vietnamese.
Tested it at a Viet restaurant and she laughed but understood it.
Chinese spoken into it translated well on a simple test.

Worst case is it'll be an ice breaker and entertainment.
With you and George on translators and navigators, I'm feelin like I'm with Allstate. Like I can relax more, Thanks in advance.

With you and George on translators and navigators, I'm feelin like I'm with Allstate. Like I can relax more, Thanks in advance.
Feeling safe, confident and secure is fine as long as you keep in mind it's an illusion.
Remember what the road to hell is paved with. :)

We'll have a ball as soon as we throw the plans out the window.

George, Not sure if the Google translator App for Android (Ice Cream Sandwich operating system) that is working for me is compatible with your Honey Comb operating system (at least I think you have Honey comb) but check it out at least.

EDIT: I found that you ARE on Ice Cream Sandwich so You should be able to search the Google translator APP and download it right on your Tab.

Last edited:
Best of luck for all that are going. I didn't read every post, and we always hope everything will go well on a trip like this, but make sure you are prepared if something does go wrong.

Suggestions:
1. Make sure there is a family member capable of handling a rough situation with a passport in hand before you leave.
2. Not sure if the Cambodians would recognize it but the American embassy should. Get powers of attorney amongst the group giving others in the group the power to make a decision for you if you are incapable of doing so.

These are just things I would do if I was making the trip. George and Danny are much more the world adventure travelers than I am.

Back
Top Bottom