Ride For Cambodia?

I have a feeling we are going to get a picture ;) ... and it's good luck to rub the Budda's belly. Be ready, Joe. :):rolleyes:

"My karma ran over your dogma".

Since the 'Geezer and I will be in BKK a few day before anyone else, I will nail down a room with two beds.
We are still not sure who else is coming from our group so I'll leave it to you, George to get a room or if you'd like, we can all move into a suite. I like the looks of that Riverside building. More $$$ but I don't think it'll break our bank.

As always, we welcome and encourage input on this topic.

Still waiting to hear Dace has her tickets. Either 2 doubles or a suite as needed. Works for me. We still got a month to plan.

Looks like Nata Harli has already reserved there for arrival on the 16th(?).

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 'Droid 7" for my GPS and wifi device. And music too, at 16G it'll handle a ton of tunes. Still planning on a "burn phone" for in-country and Skype for international comm. Research on the phone continues.

Since the 'Geezer and I will be in BKK a few day before anyone else, I will nail down a room with two beds.

The last time you booked a room for us with two beds, I had to sleep with "Broke Leg Charlie". There's just somthin wrong with sleepin in the same bed with another man in a town call "Sandusky".:(

You two in bed together cuz nobody wanted to get in bed with me....
Now, how do you think I feel?

Besides, you guys prolly slept together before, ya known eachother so long.
:):):):):)

Droid S 3 & TT2

Just booked a room with two twin beds at the New Siam Riverside for Joe and I from Jan 9th to Jan 15th at which time we can re-evaluate the lodging situation as folks arrive or between now and January. :D

We don't have to sleep together, Joe...It's optional! :)

I did not opt for the hotel shuttle service (about 925 Baht) since Joe and I are going to have to meet up at the airport and who knows when that'll happen since we are on two different airlines. If they are both reasonably on-time we will have no problems. Besides, research shows a typical:

Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport (BKK) - Central Bangkok: 200-400 baht, plus highway tolls of 70 baht

I just downloaded OsmAND to my Sammy GS3 Droid. Then I grabbed the maps for Thai, Cam, Laos and Myanmar.
I shut all data and cell functions off on the phone to simulate "lost in the back hills" and it looks like I have truly off line mapping on the phone.
No need to have a cell or WiFi connection to have a functional GPS system on my phone.

Now that the last of my midnight oil is burning dimly, I can sleep knowing my GPS issues are solved ... at least for now.
I'll get to play with this more on the 'morrow.

Then I can focus on a translator app. :eek::hyp1:

I just downloaded OsmAND to my Sammy GS3 Droid. Then I grabbed the maps for Thai, Cam, Laos and Myanmar.
I shut all data and cell functions off on the phone to simulate "lost in the back hills" and it looks like I have truly off line mapping on the phone.
No need to have a cell or WiFi connection to have a functional GPS system on my phone.

Now that the last of my midnight oil is burning dimly, I can sleep knowing my GPS issues are solved ... at least for now.
I'll get to play with this more on the 'morrow.

Then I can focus on a translator app. :eek::hyp1:

If you have a smart phone, can I leave the "dumb" handheld Garmin at home?? I'm way behind on my phone technology and in need of an upgrade.

You may get an opportunity to upgrade you GPS in the big city of BKK.
I considered long and hard bringing my thin and light Garmin Nuvi.
I'm not satisfied with what I found so far for mapping in SEA for Garmin.
Plus there was motivation for bringing as few devices as possible so this powerful Droid got the duty after I found the OSM app.
Some cities are labeled in Thai so we still may want to bring paper maps.
How lost can we get? We have the oceans on one side and the Himalaya mountains on the other...:)
OSM gives GPS coordinates so we can reconcile with other maps.

Droid S 3 & TT2

OSM gives GPS coordinates so we can reconcile with other maps.

Droid S 3 & TT2
If you have GPS Lat/Lon, I see no need to bring my Garmin. I keep thinking about a possible sail rental and they usually provide GPS for that and mine would only be a backup, normally.

I just ordered a Samsung 7" WiFi tablet, will load up the OSM app when it gets here. I'll be carrying an iPhone 3 mainly for Ipod duty and as a backup.

Shots next month.

Looks like a strong platform to load apps to. The OSM app seems to be working pretty well around town here.
Should work the same there.
Glad you don't plan to hold that up to your ear to make phone calls. :rolleyes:

Might even be able to get that into a tank bag map pocket. Of course, it's hard to use the touch screen there.

BTW is anyone bringing a tank bag. I'm leaning that way. I have pretty universal mounting straps (I hope)....Anyway we'll figure it out when we see the bikes.

Hey guys,

Sorry I missed all the room discussion. Was in West Texas for Thanksgiving and didn't have internet. Definitely want in on the room and am totally okay with sharing space.

BTW is anyone bringing a tank bag. I'm leaning that way. I have pretty universal mounting straps (I hope)....Anyway we'll figure it out when we see the bikes.

I've held many a tank bag on with bungee cord. With only a couple of modest failures...Once on my GS750 I ended up wearing the tank bag around my neck:) And that bag was specifically made for the Water Buffalo...So from then on (until I got the ST) it was bungees on what ever that tank bag was on. In fact, I still have the bag. It's in pretty grim shape, if I don't use it anymore:)

I've held many a tank bag on with bungee cord. With only a couple of modest failures...Once on my GS750 I ended up wearing the tank bag around my neck:) And that bag was specifically made for the Water Buffalo...So from then on (until I got the ST) it was bungees on what ever that tank bag was on. In fact, I still have the bag. It's in pretty grim shape, if I don't use it anymore:)
+1 BT, I picked up a cheapo tank bag at Cycle Gear. I can't decide whether to use bungees or duct tape. I'll only use duct tape if I can get the matching color for the Russian Minsk I'm hoping to rent. :D

I throw a bungee across the top of my expandable RKA to hold the map pocket in place. It won't be going with on this trip tho, I have a choice of two other small ones. Wanna be able to mount my "GPS" 7" Samsung tablet on top with a 12V tether to keep it charged. Ain't technology wonderful. :D

Back
Top Bottom