OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Unforunately, we are not yet techy enough to add or subtract anything to or from these videos.;)

Droid S3 & TT2

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
We could take care of George's bike no prob. Tech day at my place - March 2. I'll hold a spot for you. ;)

Still, looks like it's all good.

And by the way, want to wish you a Happy Birthday.

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
We could take care of George's bike no prob. Tech day at my place - March 2. I'll hold a spot for you. ;)

Still, looks like it's all good.

And by the way, want to wish you a Happy Birthday.
Thanks for the birthday wish, Tony. Sure is a nice offer you make to have a post RideForCambodia tech session 'cept George won't be back to AZ until March 16 and the bikes stay here as they are rentals.
Joe and I ride SEA until April 9.

Droid S3 & TT2

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks for the offer, Tony, but I figure shipping costs are higher than the value of the bike. :D

(Oh, yeah, Happy Birthday, Danny, hope you enjoyed the "birthday cake" pastries. :D)

Bike is only a little worse for wear. Straightened the rear brake lever. Again. Taped up the broken left-front turn signal. Loosened and re-aligned the clutch lever. The lever is still bent but functional. Didn't notice 'til this morning, the handle bars were slid about an inch to the right in the clamps, fixed that. Also, confirmed the right bar is bent back, I think that's from the first getoff last week.

Here's the whole story: Ugh! Another "getoff" yesterday, this one a little more serious. Slick pavement took me down, bike into the concrete ditch, me rolling a half dozen times on the road. More damage to the bike than previous, plus I got some rash (nothing serious) and tore my new pants, only been washed twice. :(

As Joe and I were were starting to get gear together, a car came around sliding badly, missed us. We quickly moved his bike down the hill, then a local scooter came 'round and slid out just a few yards up hill from my slide. Another local stopped and helped get my bike out'a the ditch. A few minutes with the carp wrenches got the clutch handle sorted, and it started right up. Gotta go out now and straighten the headlight and the foot brake lever. All else is good. Carp tires, wet pavement, probably a little oily slick and down I went. Third time the front has washed out on this bike. I was following Danny at a relaxed pace and he made it wi around without a thought. Double Ugh!!

The getoff count so far:
Joe, 2 on the dirt;
me, 2 on the dirt and 1 on pavement;
Danny, Zed (come oooooooooooooon, Danny! :D)

A couple pics from yesterday:
IMG_0055 (900x1200).jpgCopy of IMG_0055 (905x1200).jpgIMG_0056 (900x1200).jpg

Left, my "scratch" marks in the pavement;
Middle, Zoom on Danny 'n Joe with the bike,,, concrete ditch is on the left;
Right, "scratch" marks from the local scooter.

Near as I can figure, bike low sided, spun 180 clockwise on the right peg, flipped 180 top-to-bottom, landing on the left side, then slid wheels first into the ditch, ended up on the wheels, facing wrong way, leaned against the right side of the ditch. The flip broke the left-front turn signal and drove the clutch lever down the bar a couple inches and drove the bars about an inch to the right in the clamps. Bent the clutch lever some as well.

Local scooter stopped to help, while we were trying to get her out'a the ditch, another local scooter slid out low-side but didn't go in the ditch. No real harm in either case. We pulled my bike backwards down the ditch to a less steep piece, I started it and drove it out, no sweat. After sorting the clutch lever, we got some gas and motored on back to Nan at terminal speed (max, about 70 MPH.) Just not quite beat the sunset.

Today has been pretty lazy so far, I kinda like an occasional day off. OTOH, at $23/day, I hate letting the bike just sit. :(

Doug just came back from a beer run 'n sez we're gonna do a local back road ride before dinner so I still get a few klicks in today. :D

I'm still working toward my Thailand picasa albums,,, I'm only three weeks behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
(Oh, yeah, Happy Birthday, Danny, hope you enjoyed the "birthday cake" pastries. :D)
Thanks buddy, the pastry was nice. I'll get a cake for everyone tonight. :)

The getoff count so far:
Joe, 2 on the dirt;
I told you last week that it was my turn to getoff. There you go jumpin' the line agin. :)

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Happy Birthday Danny! I'm enjoying the ride throughly! Those hilly rds are slick as can be after that first rain, all the dust, oil, and other debris, make up what we call in India "keechar" on the pavement that you must be aware of until the rds wash off. Glad all is well and George only has a couple raspberries. You guys stay safe and keep the pictures coming.

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Thanks Fali, we're at a restaurant having dinner.
I'm on the getoff scoreboard now...less than an hour after George says "Come on Danny..."
A lowside following Doug through a U-turn trafficy three lanes each direction. I wicked it and I was down spread eagle facedown in the middle lane. I waited a second thinking " This is a picture" .
Sure I was OK, I saw the oncoming semi so I popped up and picked the bike up with George annoyed he didn't get the shot.
All is well and we re- enacted the scene safely in a parking lot.
George has the shot or it would be in this post.
Cool!

Droid S3 & TT2

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the offer, Tony, but I figure shipping costs are higher than the value of the bike. :D

Bike is only a little worse for wear. Straightened the rear brake lever. Again. Taped up the broken left-front turn signal. Loosened and re-aligned the clutch lever. The lever is still bent but functional. Didn't notice 'til this morning, the handle bars were slid about an inch to the right in the clamps, fixed that. Also, confirmed the right bar is bent back, I think that's from the first getoff last week.

Here's the whole story: Ugh! Another "getoff" yesterday, this one a little more serious. Slick pavement took me down, bike into the concrete ditch, me rolling a half dozen times on the road. More damage to the bike than previous, plus I got some rash (nothing serious) and tore my new pants, only been washed twice. :(

As Joe and I were were starting to get gear together, a car came around sliding badly, missed us. We quickly moved his bike down the hill, then a local scooter came 'round and slid out just a few yards up hill from my slide. Another local stopped and helped get my bike out'a the ditch. A few minutes with the carp wrenches got the clutch handle sorted, and it started right up. Gotta go out now and straighten the headlight and the foot brake lever. All else is good. Carp tires, wet pavement, probably a little oily slick and down I went. Third time the front has washed out on this bike. I was following Danny at a relaxed pace and he made it wi around without a thought. Double Ugh!!

The getoff count so far:
Joe, 2 on the dirt;

A couple pics from yesterday:

Left, my "scratch" marks in the pavement;
Middle, Zoom on Danny 'n Joe with the bike,,, concrete ditch is on the left;
Right, "scratch" marks from the local scooter.

Near as I can figure, bike low sided, spun 180 clockwise on the right peg, flipped 180 top-to-bottom, landing on the left side, then slid wheels first into the ditch, ended up on the wheels, facing wrong way, leaned against the right side of the ditch. The flip broke the left-front turn signal and drove the clutch lever down the bar a couple inches and drove the bars about an inch to the right in the clamps. Bent the clutch lever some as well.

Local scooter stopped to help, while we were trying to get her out'a the ditch, another local scooter slid out low-side but didn't go in the ditch. No real harm in either case. We pulled my bike backwards down the ditch to a less steep piece, I started it and drove it out, no sweat. After sorting the clutch lever, we got some gas and motored on back to Nan at terminal speed (max, about 70 MPH.) Just not quite beat the sunset.

Today has been pretty lazy so far, I kinda like an occasional day off. OTOH, at $23/day, I hate letting the bike just sit. :(

Doug just came back from a beer run 'n sez we're gonna do a local back road ride before dinner so I still get a few klicks in today. :D

I'm still working toward my Thailand picasa albums,,, I'm only three weeks behind.

Glad the injuries were minor George! You guys be safe!

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
SEA road rash just a mark on skin will make you proud rider. A rash from bike ride almost like a battle wounded soldier :bow1: Fun adventures...George can't wait to see your pix!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
So, here's a couple pics of Danny's down. He was too quick righting the bike so the "down" pic is a re-enactment. :D
IMG_0067 (1200x900).jpgIMG_0068 (1200x900).jpgIMG_0071 (1200x900).jpg

Danny has the bike up,,, Joe rushes over to help,,, and Danny's spread eagle grin re-enacted in a parking lot. The whole incident didn't last 15 seconds,,, just glad there was no oncoming traffic. All is still good in Nan, Thailand.

This event was followed by a nice sun set complete with hang glider, then a lovely Thai food dinner at The Run Way restaurant. Doug had led us to a couple places,,, Tony's, which had moved, then a local market which only served carry out. A young lady on a bicycle offered to lead us to a good local place and we ended up here, with planes flying low arriving and taking off from the local airport directly overhead. Good food, good beer.

IMG_0080 (1200x900).jpgIMG_0081 (1200x810).jpgIMG_0088 (900x1200).jpgIMG_0089 (900x1200).jpg

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Here's a group shot Doug sent me yesterday. Doug is a 1/2 year ex-pat, spends the rest of his time in Alaska. He bought his new CBR-250 when he arrived last October, has been touring Thai ever since. We met him about 2 weeks ago in Hot, Thailand while waiting for Joe to find his way back to the group. Met him again a few days ago after we visited Golden Triangle. We'll part ways tomorrow as he has to run to the border to get his visa renewed. We're heading back to Chiang Mai to return our bikes and kick back for a couple days before starting a new adventure (to be determined. Stay tuned.)
View attachment 132623

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Happy Birthday Danny, great re-enactment of your mishap :D also beautiful sunset views... pictures!:bow1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Having wrung all the fun outa those Twofiddies we could they are finally back at POPS cycle rental in Chiang Mai. We took them out with an agreement of a week and kept extending it by phone out to 16 days.
650 baht per bike per day or about $22. One of the best fun bagains I ever had. George had additional damage charges of about 730 baht for handle bars and clutch lever. He did us a big favor not counting all the stuff that got hit.
Here we are with our new rides for just around Chiang Mai at $6 per dayuploadfromtaptalk1361410693893.jpg:

Droid S3 & TT2

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
All is good in Thailand. Danny gave ya the latest news. My damages included bent handle bars and the clutch lever which I broke this morning trying to straighten it. Only ~$25 so no complaints there. I know they won't actually replace the bars, just straighten them, but I was in no position to argue,,, my bad. :D

Here's a shot from yesterday. We were rolling down a really nice road on the way back here to Chiang Mai. Doug had pulled over to wait for the slow-pokes to catch. We were taking short break when the ice-cream cart we had just passed came chugging into view. Doug waved him down and we each got a snack. The guy runs this route regularly, over hill 'n dale, to vend his wares. Saw him again a short piece down the road, with 3 cars pulled over buying more. Great way to make a living. :D

IMG_0116 (946x1200).jpgIMG_0113 (1200x900).jpgIMG_0115 (1200x900).jpg

Bike
2003 ST1300
[video=youtube;D6d3FeJZrNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6d3FeJZrNk[/video]

This is a short clip of a "save" made by Digiamo on our ride from Nan on the 1048 (twisty road). You can see his rear tar lose traction and we attribute that to the knobbie on the asphalt? Anyway it looked a little scary on the replay of my GOPRO. I could hear his engine revving high on decel but couldn't see what was happening at the time. There was very little traffic on this section of road, lucky for us. I felt my rear lose traction more than once also.

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Thanks for posted pix and vdo guys, I enjoying your adventure! George/pink scooter....:D
Ya, we fought over that pink bike but George won. ;)

I'm at the Sumit Hotel now. I got back from a late walk around town and the gate to the RiderCorner was locked so I climbed over it only to find the inner door to the rooms was also locked. I tryed banging on the door for twenty minutes but the rooms are two high and far I guess. Tried a few more things includeing calling the guys on skype but it was after midnight and for one reason or another, no one answered. Thought of sleeping on the pool table, wouldn't be the first time, but without being drunk it's just not the same.
The last few hotels had beds we commented "It's like sleeping on a pool table.
I climbed back over the sharp tipped gate to either walk the Chiang Mai alleys all night or find a room. Most hotels were locked up solid for the night or were "No room at the inn"
I nailed the Sumit for 300 Baht ($10 and yes the shower head points directly at the toilet but not much chance it'll get wet with water pressure like this) I wasn't yet sleepy and with no TV or WiFi in the room, I returned to the streets to wander on.
Wasn't long before I found myself in a sea of dressed to kill yunguns at an open air disco club district gyrating to overcranked headbanger music, the stuff I remember from the eighties at clubs like CBGB's.
Quick survey, about as many Farang as Thai in the mix and plenty of intermingling and heavy petting.
I enjoyed a bit of late night site seeing. Wish I had a toothbrush. I used to carry one to clubs...ya never know. :)
Gunite.

...oh jeezz, this bed is like sleeping on a pool table with a fitted sheet.

Droid S3 & TT2

Last edited:

motomano

Jose L. Vazquez STOC # 674
Bike
2006 Goldwing
STOC #
Ya, we fought over that pink bike but George won. ;)

I'm at the Sumit Hotel now. I got back from a late walk around town and the gate to the RiderCorner was locked so I climbed over it only to find the inner door to the rooms was also locked. I tryed banging on the door for twenty minutes but the rooms are two high and far I guess. Tried a few more things includeing calling the guys on skype but it was after midnight and for one reason or another, no one answered. Thought of sleeping on the pool table, wouldn't be the first time, but without being drunk it's just not the same.
The last few hotels had beds we commented "It's like sleeping on a pool table.
I climbed back over the sharp tipped gate to either walk the Chiang Mai alleys all night or find a room. Most hotels were locked up solid for the night or were "No room at the inn"
I nailed the Sumit for 300 Baht ($10 and yes the shower head points directly at the toilet but not much chance it'll get wet with water pressure like this) I wasn't yet sleepy and with no TV or WiFi in the room, I returned to the streets to wander on.
Wasn't long before I found myself in a sea of dressed to kill yunguns at an open air disco club district gyrating to overcranked headbanger music, the stuff I remember from the eighties at clubs like CBGB's.
Quick survey, about as many Farang as Thai in the mix and plenty of intermingling and heavy petting.
I enjoyed a bit of late night site seeing. Wish I had a toothbrush. I used to carry one to clubs...ya never know. :)
Gunite.

...oh jeezz, this bed is like sleeping on a pool table with a fitted sheet.

Droid S3 & TT2
Sorry to hear of your sleeping troubles, hopefully they are all passed by now and a real bed will be waiting for you tonite!

Last edited:
Top Bottom