Is this the next bike?

Georg H. Georgs

Hello from Iceland
Bike
ST 1300 2007
STOC #
I was just wondering, if this would be my next bike?
I it just like the ST1300, just diffrent color.:)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 236
It's already the next and current bike for a few here.

I think it's sweet.. just a tad pricey for me and believe it or not, too techy... would love to have one though.. If Honda comes out with a new ST I'm afraid that will end up being too pricey for me too...

Really like that color.

If Honda builds a bike like the K1600GT they will finely have there head back in clean air....

Most definitely not like the ST. Not once you give the throttle a little turn. My wife is trying to talk me in to the Spyder RT and I'm thinking the k1600GTL would be a better fit ;).

I like that color too, though mixed feelings about the graphics. The blue they have now looks pretty good too. The GT ergos are very similar to the ST, maybe handlebars back a bit further. The price doesn't scare me as much as the potential for maintenance costs.

This is the GT sport, with black wheel some grapichs. It is a nice bike. But I am still waiting for the new sport touring bike from Honda that is going to replace my great ST1300. But I must still wait for it. Maybe next year.:)

For me it is...

The K1600 GTL is a very nice ride. Pricey, I could not have considered it when I bought the ST but it is smoother, more powerful and has a motor that has to be experienced to understand. Comfort wise, it is equivalent to our ST's

Chris

Research, research and research about it.

I thought I had done due diligence before purchasing mine. I love the bike, and am not sure what I'll get next. I'm going out of town this coming week, but when I get back I'll sit down with a Lemon Law Attorney to have BMW take mine back.

I've had it since April and have had:

1. 5 water pumps on it (known issue, BMW has not come up with a replacement but re-installs the same part number each time)
2. Right switch cluster. They fail in the heat and can and will leave you stranded. BMW has a superceded part number. That one hasn't failed yet on mine, but I don't trust taking it far from the dealer on any trips (not what I had intended for a "Sport Touring bike". See video on youtube where one failed on a rider in Arizona. He had a go pro cam going.
3. Left switch cluster. They fail in the heat. Mine failed Wednesday. The windshield won't work, the horn won't work, the right blinker won't work, and the I can't cancel the left blinker. It will be back in the shop upon my return from my trip this next week.

On the switch clusters it has been told that one can take contact cleaner and spray on the clusters or set a bag of ice on them for 15 minutes and the switch will work. This didn't work at all for me.

K1600forum.com has many many of the above tails. I will say that BMW has not hesitated to make each one right; however, I don't trust the bike to not leave me on foot. Did I get a lemon? I am beginning to believe I haven't and that BMW has serious problems on this bike. I believe each one of my problems listed above are a when it will occur instead of if. Newer bikes (built later in 2013) should have the newer switch clusters and not fail. The waterpumps, nope. One on the BMW forum tells of taking one out for a test ride putting 16 miles on it only to bring it back with a leaking water pump.

I think one will find issues with any bike no matter what the brand, especially a new model for the manufacturer. My hopes are they'll iron the wrinkles out on the newer models and have a solid bike. That is exactly why I waited for the 2012 to come out. Perhaps I should've waited for the 2013 or 2014.

Now why a lawyer to help me with the lemon law? In Texas, the bike has already met the requirements to qualify which will be a no brainer; however, BMW won't volunteer to cover my expenses, tax title and license, etc. that I've paid due to their bike. The lawyer will ensure that is covered. I'm not sure if I'll get my money back or take the next newer model. I love the bike, and assuming the issues are ironed out, I'd take the newer one. I'm watching and reading and reading.

Try it out first. I only sat on one- and its HUGE. I had no interest in riding it. Its the wheelbase of the Wing, the windshield is too far forward IMOP, the handlebars have a huge pullback so you can reach them, and generally the bike feels very large. That is fine if that is what you are looking for- but I wouldn't call it a Sport-Tourer, I'd call it a Tourer in the same class as the Wing. Very nice looking bike, lots of power, sounds great, and very nice list of standard & optional equipment. Just BIG.

Jim, how can you say it should not be called a "sport tourer" if you have not ridden it? I have not ridden one either, but I would put money on it doing just fine against the likes of any current "sport touring" bike out there. Other than differentials, which may or may not be mostly hype, BMW is not known for missing the boat.

That is RIDICULOUS JoeP! If I had that kind of problems, they couldn't give me another one! That just makes me like my outdated 07 1300 even more. I know it will get me there and back. I think I'll wait on Honda!

And the ST is a "Sport Tourer" ? Big? Both the ST & the K16 weight about the same. Like a Wing..I think not, but I have not rode one, so I can't say. You need to ride one and then you can post your likes & dislikes about the bike. The ST is a good bike..the K16 is better.

That is RIDICULOUS JoeP! If I had that kind of problems, they couldn't give me another one! That just makes me like my outdated 07 1300 even more. I know it will get me there and back. I think I'll wait on Honda!
Now Keith you were drooling over the 16 in Washington a couple of weeks ago. I feel bad for JoeP. These things are machines & there are some that are lemons & some never have problems. If your not happy with what you have get some thing else & move on. If your waiting for the new Honda ST than do.

That there are only three K16s running the IBR is telling. Whether it says that the model is too new for riders to trust it or the aforementioned problems are causing them not to remains to be seen. Rob Nye is on a R12GS this year, and his 2007 R12RT DNF and thefistful of other BMWs that didn't make it due to mechanical problems still stick in my mind.

The K16 looks all around like an amazing bike, but maybe what the late Larry Grodsky said holds true: "What the Italians call character the Japanese consider design flaws and the Germans deny to their graves." I had friends with K12LTs and R11RTs that had rear drive problems which took forever to get fixed because BMW wouldn't keep the repair parts on this side of the pond.

I am by no means a long-distance rider, but I still expect that my mount be reliable. Say what you want about the ST's age and prodigious weight, but it's a well-proven workhorse.

--Mark

I've had a wing, an ST and now the K1600GT. I'm disgruntled with the one I have but I have to say that Booger Man is right, the K1600 is better as far as feel, handling, and power. Ride one and I believe your opinion will change. It does sit back further from the windshield and instrument cluster, but after a few rides, you won't notice it at all. When you go back to the ST, you'll find that the clutch feels ultra stiff and the throttle feels very hard. The K1600 is as smooth as glass at ALL speeds. Reliability wise, I'm unsure my bike. My hope is that I got the one lemon and can get one that is not a lemon to replace it. If you read any cycle forum dedicated to a specific bike, there are stories of mechanical issues. This is true for any model and brand. If I decide to go with the K1600 again, I hope I get one with the kinks ironed out and hope I get the fastest color one (blue). My suggestion to anyone buying this bike is to make sure you've got a trustworthy dealer and for sure have a warranty. Eventually, my hopes are this bike will be as popular and as good as the BMW GS series.

And the ST is a "Sport Tourer" ? Big? Both the ST & the K16 weight about the same. Like a Wing..I think not, but I have not rode one, so I can't say. You need to ride one and then you can post your likes & dislikes about the bike. The ST is a good bike..the K16 is better.

People get so defensive about the K1600. I agree its a very nice bike. "Good" and "better" are subjective. "Big" isn't...the specifications don't lie, its the length and wheelbase of a Wing, not an ST. There is nothing wrong with the bike, I just happen to not like larger bikes. As I've mentioned before the ST is larger than I really would prefer in a perfect world, but to get shaft drive, a durable engine, etc. I had few options. If I were in the market for a Wing, I would go to a BMW dealer and try out a K1600 as comparison.

In my personal opinion a "sports car" is a small, light, 2-seater vehicle, such as the old Ferraris, Triumphs, MGs, Fiats, etc. I don't consider a Corvette or Viper a "sport's car" but many do. Just personal opinion. Corvettes and Vipers handle very well, are very fast, I just don't consider them "sports cars" in the original meaning of the term. A Miata would though. I've said before the ST leans heavily toward the Touring side of a Sport Tourer...and in my opinion is about as far leaned toward Touring while still retaining some Sport. A VFR is geared much more towards Sport; so is a VFR.

I didn't come on here to bash the K1600...its a wonderful bike. I just mentioned that its a large bike, he should try one out to make sure its not larger than he wants. Simple as that.

JoeP, I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with the K16. There are lots of reported problems with the water pump and switch gear but you seem to have gotten a hold of a bonafide lemon, indeed. Good luck working it all out.

That said, if you are an ST1300 owner and interested in the K1600, take one out for a test ride. BMW dealers (unlike Honda dealers) are happy to send you off. But be warned! If you ride one, you will want one, so check your finances first!

Re the Iron Butt riders, I've heard of the K16 guys carrying a spare water pump on the road. A few years back the R1150/1200 guys were carrying entire rear drives. The ST1300 riders carry... um... a tire plug kit?

pete

Back
Top Bottom