Is this the next bike?

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
That there are only three K16s running the IBR is telling. Whether it says that the model is too new for riders to trust it or the aforementioned problems are causing them not to remains to be seen. Rob Nye is on a R12GS this year, and his 2007 R12RT DNF and thefistful of other BMWs that didn't make it due to mechanical problems still stick in my mind.

The K16 looks all around like an amazing bike, but maybe what the late Larry Grodsky said holds true: "What the Italians call character the Japanese consider design flaws and the Germans deny to their graves." I had friends with K12LTs and R11RTs that had rear drive problems which took forever to get fixed because BMW wouldn't keep the repair parts on this side of the pond.

I am by no means a long-distance rider, but I still expect that my mount be reliable. Say what you want about the ST's age and prodigious weight, but it's a well-proven workhorse.

--Mark
+1 & 2

OP
OP
Georg H. Georgs

Georg H. Georgs

Hello from Iceland
Bike
ST 1300 2007
STOC #
JoeP, I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with the K16. There are lots of reported problems with the water pump and switch gear but you seem to have gotten a hold of a bonafide lemon, indeed. Good luck working it all out.

That said, if you are an ST1300 owner and interested in the K1600, take one out for a test ride. BMW dealers (unlike Honda dealers) are happy to send you off. But be warned! If you ride one, you will want one, so check your finances first!

Re the Iron Butt riders, I've heard of the K16 guys carrying a spare water pump on the road. A few years back the R1150/1200 guys were carrying entire rear drives. The ST1300 riders carry... um... a tire plug kit?

pete
This one is good:D

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Honda gets around having issues with new technology because they simply don't add any to their bikes. However, you can buy a ST with 2002 technology for a 2012 price. It's growing comical to me to hear ST owners bash Harley owners and their "out dated" technology.....like their ST is cutting edge. Yeah right!

BMW has failed in some of the seemingly simple technology (switches) they've produced which is puzzling. Joe I hope you get everything you should out of BMW and aren't out too much more time or money.

I am in know way defending BMW for their lack of new model testing before they release a bike. In fact, I think all of their engineers should be whipped with a wet noodle.
Mike

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just BIG.
It is big, Jim. And heavy. And complex. And full of features I don't care about. Since I'm expecting my next bike will be smaller and lighter, it's not on my radar.

But when you get tossed the key, you take one for a ride. I rode one and can say with confidence that it's blazingly fast. The motor is smooth smooth smooth with torque to spare everywhere. It also handles really well, in that special vague-feeling BMW front end kind of way. It's luxurious to the hilt and oozing with technology. There's a lot to love and a lot that can go wrong, and there's lots of evidence of both.

But at heart it's a sport bike...a BIG sport bike.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
However, you can buy a ST with 2002 technology for a 2012 price. It's growing comical to me to hear ST owners bash Harley owners and their "out dated" technology.....like their ST is cutting edge. Yeah right!
Funny thing is the Harley's are still outdated compared to an ST with 2002 technology.:rofl1:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Funny thing is the Harley's are still outdated compared to an ST with 2002 technology.:rofl1:
Yea I had to laugh at the comparison. OK, so the ST doesn't come standard with self-canceling turn signals or heated grips, but comparing it with something with pushrods, a separate transmission, shifting like a Freightliner with a bad clutch, and an idle that makes me want to fix it even when they are new.

I rode one and can say with confidence that it's blazingly fast.
I don't doubt that a bit! They have a sound that excites me as much as a centerfold, very impressive numbers for HP and torque, and aren't any heavier than an ST. Shrink it up a little bit and correct some of the problems I've read about and it would make it on my list of possible future bikes.

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
It is big, Jim. And heavy. And complex. And full of features I don't care about. Since I'm expecting my next bike will be smaller and lighter, it's not on my radar.

But when you get tossed the key, you take one for a ride. I rode one and can say with confidence that it's blazingly fast. The motor is smooth smooth smooth with torque to spare everywhere. It also handles really well, in that special vague-feeling BMW front end kind of way. It's luxurious to the hilt and oozing with technology. There's a lot to love and a lot that can go wrong, and there's lots of evidence of both.

But at heart it's a sport bike...a BIG sport bike.
And that's why he gets paid to write. Sums up the K-1600 perfectly... Thanks, Scott.

It also has that ST like ability to hide its weight when moving, even more so than the GW. I just did my first multi-day trip and when I got done, I was sore in places that I would not have been if I was sitting on the Russell Day Long or the Sargent. Hips are flexed differently and you are more upright than you would be on the 1300, even with bar risers in place. Wind control is different too; My GTL has the "wind wings" that deflect a lot of air onto my chest, but even all the way down, the windshield does not allow that smooth air flow over your helmet and face. The sweet spot for smooth air is much smaller and often requires you to look through the shield, but strangely enough, it does not seem to be as much of a bug magnet when raised up. I guess there is a bow wave of air or something that diverts a lot of the flying critters. The mirrors will be covered, but the windshield and headlight cover will not have many bugs at all; strange and maybe just coincidental since I really have not done that many miles yet.

I thought it was gimmicky at first, but I really like the central locking ( also thought the power shield was a gimmick when I got the ST, what do I know?) it makes it really easy to get stuff and then secure the whole bike. Mine has some little flaws, nothing like what JoeP is going through and I have some trepidation since he is not the only one on-line having major problems. I can say however, that if I sorta even mumble about something on the bike not being right, BMW of Baton Rouge is all over it and wanting to make sure I am happy. Honda of Lafayette where I have purchased multiple bikes does not even care if I buy something from them (never again).

It is a little strange to hear the guys on the K-1600 forum discuss things. Here, we admire the "milk crate" philosophy, maybe not as much as a KLR group, but it is admirable. There, the Grey Poupon is flowing and they talk about oil for their Ferrari's, Airplanes and Yachts sometimes:eek:

Chris

Bike
2006 ST1300
It is a little strange to hear the guys on the K-1600 forum discuss things. Here, we admire the "milk crate" philosophy, maybe not as much as a KLR group, but it is admirable. There, the Grey Poupon is flowing and they talk about oil for their Ferrari's, Airplanes and Yachts sometimes
I'm definitely with the "milk crate" crowd! I'm the type that would fix a crack with duct tape...and it will still be there 2 years later because it worked so well...LOL. BMW has really changed, though they still have some of their roots with the GS line. I like to think of old BMWs and not necessarily bulletproof, but they could make it to every corner of the globe and if something did go wrong, it could be rebuilt with a screwdriver and pliers. I spoke to one gentleman who rides an early 70s BMW and actually tours with it. When he had to work on the carbs he pulled it up next to a picnic table somewhere and sat on the bench and rebuilt one; turned the bike around and did the other. Now you need the guy with the white coat and pocket protector to come out with all the electronic toys just to check the air in the tires.

Top Bottom