Cat eye

You can get a replacement shield from "Clearview" that has the cat eyes in it. They are actually "pressure relief vents" to diminish the negative pressure bubble behind the shield. Don't know why they would do away with them.

I bought a brand new 2002 ST1100 (last year they made them) - still had the cateyes. You may have an aftermarket windshield like a Rifle which did not have the cateyes. As was said, Clearview gives that as an option on their windshields.

Are they just cutouts or is there also some forming/channeling near them? Would be pretty easy to make some if just cutouts.

95 - 02 model years came with OEM shields with the cateyes, earlier years didn't have them. Search in the ST1100 AOW for the article and pattern if you want to add them, cut your own, in a shield without them.

John

Thanks for all the replies. Assumed (we all know how dangerous that word can be) they dealt with reducing backpressure, maybe not. :confused:

95 - 02 model years came with OEM shields with the cateyes, earlier years didn't have them. Search in the ST1100 AOW for the article and pattern if you want to add them, cut your own, in a shield without them.

John

Hmm my 93 has them. Maybe not the original screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

95 - 02 model years came with OEM shields with the cateyes, earlier years didn't have them.
+1... the first gen ST1100 (<'95) came with a narrow, straight windscreen, featuring no cat-eyes; this design lead to quite some buffeting, especially on the pillion's helmet... besides those cut-outs the post '96 screen is also wider in the upper half, featuring a way smoother air flow to both lids, but to the passenger's helmet in particular... The only aftermarket w/screen featuring those cat-eyes I was able to locate is made by SECDEM France, avail in 51 & 55cm (20 & 21,6 inch) http://www.secdem.fr/en/catalogue-produit.php?reference=BH075HP (55cm version to be seen in my avatar), which I'm very satisfied with since quite some years now; by its stance on the bike as well as its performance.

Last edited:
They were put into OEM windshield to reduce the negative pressure behind the windshield. This was to reduce rider fatigue from the slightly forward seating position that put the rider's head in that low-pressure pocket. This was causing added stress to the rider's arms and shoulders to hold their head upright.

I had a '95 and can say that even with the holes, the OEM riding position was still stressful to the shoulders and neck on long rides. Hence the popularity of helibars and taller aftermarket windscreens.

So it looks like Honda stayed with the cat-eyes until they brought out the 1300. Just curious why they made the change. Thanks again for all the input. :)

Hmm my 93 has them. Maybe not the original screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

All I can tell you is the ClearView has their circle name embossed into screen at lower left side, and 'kicks' out above mount on each side, and the cat-eyes. There IS no better shield available.....maybe across the pond, but doubtful it would compare to the Clearview for no buffeting and bike stability.

Back
Top Bottom