STOC TAG

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes, Rick is in there with the rest of the Boyz and they all made the tour of the ST Mother road on Rick's bike.

I am honored to carry them to BearSTOC and NatSTOC

DSCN3683-M.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Gary received the Ted Norris tag and has added it to the string. Glad Ted will be making the trip with him. :)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Okay, I'll do it myself (With Turley's help. :D)

Mike took this pic somewhere between WeSTOC and NatSTOC just a couple weeks ago. The tags are now in Gary's hands and will be headed to China soon.

Turley Tag 2013.jpg

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
STOC Tags 'The Boyz' in China

So we are there at NatSTOC and George is doing his speech and asking if anyone is going to an interesting place that could take the tags along. I asked if it had to be on a motorcycle. George said 'Where ya goin'? I said 'China' and he said 'They're goin with ya'!! So I grabbed them and they rode back to Granbury, TX, in the rain, with me. It wouldn't be until the middle of August that I would be heading to China. Trip was to attend the wedding of our son and his finance.

So flight is booked for August 18th to Shanghai, we get to DFW without any troubles and head to LAX. Check in and ready to head to China although it was in the back of the plane with about 250 Chinese. Yes it was fun--NOT. 14 hours is a long time anywhere, but cramped in those little airplane seats is more than enough. Our son tried to upgrade us to business but none available. So glad that he was able to upgrade us to business on the way back. In fact when we were at LAX, getting ready to board, they had overbooked the flight and was asking for volunteers to take the same next day flight with a stay in a hotel overnight and $700 for future flights. Boy was that tempting but our son was expecting us so we resisted the temptation.

After the 14 hour flight it was so great to finally get our feet back on the ground. As we had already been to Shanghai in April for the proposal, we knew all the ropes to get through customs. It was a breeze. Picked up our luggage and headed out to the throng of hawkers, trying to get you to go to the hotel that they were working for. Our son stands out in a crowd, especially Chinese, as he is 6' 4" and his finance is quite tall for a Chinese. We spotted them right away. His driver grabbed our bags, threw them in the car and off from the airport in PuDong into Shanghai to his apartment at the Ascott Hotel.

Our plan of attack was to take the tags with us when we went out walking and take as many pics as we could. Following is the progression of our picture taking.

First three are over on the other side of the river by the Shanghai World Financial Trade Center, the one in the background with an opening at the top. And what is to become the second highest building in the world. It's still in progress as you can see on the right. That is our DIL, YingYing, holding the tags. Then Carole is holding them in front of a row of scooters, the most common mode of transportation in Shanghai.

The 4rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th are at the place where all go to get their passports. Our son, who works for Apple, had to have his Visa renewed, so we tagged, pun intended, along. We placed them on the sign of the Bureau Exit-Entry, also in Chinese.

8th, 9th, and 10th are taken at one of the largest fire houses in Shanghai. Our DIL went to college with the one in the army garb. He gave us a complete tour of the Shanghai Chinese Fire Museum and then took us into the fire house. As you can see, they had 2 BMW's fitted with a lot of fire equipment. Quite a site to see. Some of the fire trucks were very impressive. The ladder truck would go up 30 stories high. I talked her friend into writing something in Chinese in the book.

11th and 12th were taken on our walk to the Bund. Saw this sign of a high school that dated back awhile so though it would be a good photo shoot. My son is holding 'The Boyz'.

13th and 14th are myself and Carole holding them up at the Bund looking across the river. Once again you can see the Shanghai World Financial Trade Center, the one with the opening at the top, which BTW, is where our son proposed to his girlfriend. We were there back in April and it was quite a deal. The other building is the one that is going to be the second tallest in the world, still under construction.

15th is our son holding the tags in front of the Ascott Hotel, which is where they are living at the moment. Their apartment is on the 34th floor, which you will see in the next set of pics.

16th and 17th are taken from their apartment in the Ascott, looking down and out on Shanghai.

So 'The Boyz' are resting now, waiting for our flight back to the US when I will be sending them back to George.

Attachments

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Awesome Gary!! Thanks for posting the pics. I put the Shanghai shot on Bill Pratt's FB memorial page and sent a few more to Ted Norris' daughter.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Good job, Gary. All our boyz would have loved to see China. There's a bunch of potential world travelers on the too long string.

I'm gonna post the pic of the tags at the immigration office on my FB.

Thanks for carrying and caring.

BTW, they don't need to come back to me. Anyone else got a big trip planned? I might get to Mexico this fall but it would be at least a couple months out. Everyone is more than welcome to haul the tags to mundane or exotic locales. Only requirement is to post a couple pics, maybe get a note or two in the log book, and pass them on to the next intrepid traveler. :D

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Well, the Boyz are back in Texas after the very long trip to China. Think they traveled around 20k miles. Now that they are back in the US, it's time for someone else to step up to the plate and take them on another adventure. Send me a PM if you are going someplace special and I'll get them off to ya.

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Headed Natchez to Nova Scotia next year then Isle of MAn in 2015

And the picture I took of the Boyz with the beer was at Tommy Dorsey's (a buddy) in Pullap, WA

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
We'll fur sur carry them to IOM, Mike. In the meantime, gotta be someone going somewhere neat. :D

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Someone out there in ST land must be going someplace special??? We need to get the "Boyz" moving again. If indeed you are going someplace, send me a PM and I'll send 'em right out to ya!!!!!!!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
MotoGP in April then Natchez to Nova Scotia in June

anyone else bid!
If there isn't anyone else going somewhere, let me know with a PM address and I'll get off to ya. Or I might be going to the GP also. Time will tell???

Top Bottom