Phone app or dedicated GPS unit?

Bike
ST1300
In a dilemma here--
I am faced with having to wire up my just bought ST1300 with a old Zumo550 I have or--
Use my phone with a co-pilot app, this has downloaded up to date maps and I only have to plug in the charger in the socket and use the Bluetooth to the helmet.
I can also answer work calls on the hoof.
It also seems the tech in modern phones seems to leave behind old gps units.
I find that I don`t tend to view the tiny screens on either unit as I need glasses for close up work so tend to just listen to instructions given.
Also I would end up fiddling with buttons while riding and hit a tree !!

What do you expert riders use?

Last edited:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I will still be using my dedicated GPS as I find the GPS apps available for my Sony Experia Z cause it to consume ridiculous amounts of power and it gets quite hot.... plus I would need to get a phone specific mount for the Experia, the phone has a sufficient IP rating not to worry about water ingress, until you plug in the USB charger, then it doesn't....

The GPS on the other hand works just fine and the phone can still be BT'd to the Autocom.... the GPS is hard-wired to the Autocom from the earphone socket, which mine has....

If you want rid of the Zumo, I could take care of it for you.....

Bike
2002 ST1300
I have just updated my old garmin quest for a garmin zumo but also have co-pilot on my phone as a back up in case my garmin malfunctions.

I find that my iPhone gets very hot when running co-pilot and as it needs to be all enclosed in a waterproof case, I worry that it will overheat and be damaged.

The garmin also seems to be less prone to sending me on routes that don't make sense!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My opinion only.... I think there are riders that use navigation devices to go somewhere A to B and those that use navigation devices to explore while enroute to somewhere or nowhere in particular. It's important to me to be able to see nearby roads other than the one I am on when I am exploring or even traveling somewhere on a preset route. My smart phone is too hard to use like this. It's screen is tiny and it's routing software doesn't seem to cope well with route detours like my Garmins have done.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300
Thanks guys, Just started fitting my old Zumo now, seems the best place is on the clutch lever fixing bolts.
Found the old brackets that came with the Garmin kit---direct fit!
Just gotta cable tie and find a good 12v switched point to hook in to .

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Personally, I've abandoned all navigation screens on my ST1300 (except, I admit, for rallies). FWIW, I believe that a phone with a data signal trumps a GPS a hundred-fold.

I've been on too many stretches of road where I've looked down at the GPS for a second, or tried to call up a nearby gas station, only to discover how far to the side or center of the road I've drifted. I don't mean to stand on a pulpit, or claim to be self-righteous, but as I age, my reaction times aren't improving.

I put my directions on an index card on the sleeve of my Roadcrafter suit, and leave the map-work to the coffee shop or camp fire now. Road signs seem to be more accurate for providing services and distances than e-devices at any rate.

Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
If what you need is just point A to point B, a phone GPS will suffice. If you like to do any specific route planning, a newer dedicated GPS is best. A Garmin GPS with Basecamp is pretty much the way to go for route planning.

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I used my iPhone with the TomTom app for two years and it worked pretty good at getting you to your destination. This works well as long as you are happy with route as calculated by the app if you add via points to force the app to take certain roads the app really insists that you leave the highway to reach the via point before continuing on the route. The phone doesn't allow for importing or exporting GPX files. The iPhone is not waterproof, I had no problems with water even on rainy days but worried about the usb connection getting wet even with the phone in a plastic bag.

I bought a motorcycle GPS this year and have only used it a couple of times and I am mostly impressed by it.

This is the iPhone running the TomTom app on my bike

Gerhard

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
GPS, Garmin is my preference, phone stays in the pocket, music in ear buds from a shirt pocket mp3 player and I ride solo.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I also use my iPhone as my GPS. I have an old Garmin n?vi that I was going to use but the maps needed to be updated and were too big to fit in the Garmin. It wouldn't let me put them on an SD card.

My iPhone is usually always with me so I decided use it with Navigon and Google Maps instead of buying another GPS. Navigon is great and has most of the functions of a standalone GPS. Google stopped working when I wasn't near a cell tower to download additional map data. Later I used Apple Maps and it worked really well. I like it better than Navigon.

The potential drawback for me with the iPhone is the inability to input a planned route with waypoints. Apple Maps usually does offer between 1 and three routes to a destination but it's not the same as inputting your own waypoints.

One day I may feel the need for a dedicated GPS. Until then I'll use my phone and BT earbuds or my iPad mini.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If what you need is just point A to point B, a phone GPS will suffice. If you like to do any specific route planning, a newer dedicated GPS is best. A Garmin GPS with Basecamp is pretty much the way to go for route planning.
I agree (to the degree that also my 'old' Quest-I still works absolutely flawless for serious motorcycle touring), especially since I see redundancy as a key point.
If your 'I'm-all-in-one!' super-smart-phone decides to seize up, you're in trouble...
So I carry paper maps, GPS, a netbook for route-planing/transfer and a cell... even my music sources a divided into a car-stereo and an iPod connected via IceLink...

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Garmin for cross-country,... satellite reception is pretty reliable anywhere in lower 48 USA. iPhone for the in-town what do I want to see, do, or eat,... reception is very spoty cross-country. Written route, name place list for off the cuff route/destination changes,... that small GPS is difficult to plan a route on and a waste of my time. Maps purchased locally for major destination changes within a given state,... state tourism maps have info on state treasures to check out that I'd otherwise miss,... I know there's Google, but that small iPhone screen is uncomfortable for me to research on,... guess I need to get an iPad. Talk to patrons and workers at sit-down mom-&-pop restaurants for local destinations,... I know it takes from riding time, but I like it.

This thread is providing great perspective on alternative methods.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
satellite reception is pretty reliable anywhere in lower 48 USA. iPhone for the in-town what do I want to see, do, or eat,... reception is very spoty cross-country.
This comes up in pretty much every thread we've had about this subject: there are GPS applications for all of the major mobile platforms that keep the maps on the phone and don't require a network connection.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
reception is very spoty cross-country.
Which is irrelevant for GPS use.

there are GPS applications for all of the major mobile platforms that keep the maps on the phone and don't require a network connection.
This. It boils down to as always what an individual's needs are and if they understand what gear may meet their needs. Then throw in a dash of personal preference.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If your 'I'm-all-in-one!' super-smart-phone decides to seize up, you're in trouble...
Nope.. you have just been presented with an opportunity to discover... and no phone calls or text messages to interrupt.
Not a bad way to go if you ask me.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Nope.. you have just been presented with an opportunity to discover... and no phone calls or text messages to interrupt.
Not a bad way to go if you ask me.
I couldn't agree more.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I like having my dedicated Garmin GPS instead of using my iPhone for this purpose. The problem with using an iPhone is that is is designed to multitask. That's great for a phone, but that means it will interrupt my map display with text message alerts, incoming email badges, incoming phone calls and any other notification that's been enabled (by me). Those notifications are good when I'm using my phone as a phone. But I really don't want my GPS cluttered with those distractions while driving.

Of course you can turn all that off and disable all notifications, but, that takes more effort than I would like to expend.

So a dedicated GPS works well for me. And I just keep the phone configured to do its thing.

Joel

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...and no phone calls or text messages to interrupt.
The set on mute, not so smart Communicator, hidden deep in the inside pocket of my riding jacket does just that... :wink:

But roaming some GPS forums I do find it astonishing just how many riders insist on cell use while riding these days...
I mean we get endangered by stupid cell-glued-to-head-drivers on daily bases, and then this?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
The set on mute, not so smart Communicator, hidden deep in the inside pocket of my riding jacket does just that... :wink:

But roaming some GPS forums I do find it astonishing just how many riders insist on cell use while riding these days...
I mean we get endangered by stupid cell-glued-to-head-drivers on daily bases, and then this?
+1

The problem is bad enough without us adding to it.

Top Bottom