Zumo 590

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was anxious to hear about this new one until I just read about no XM. Definite deal breaker for me. I tried phone-based music and hate it. Lack of service is the big one. I want as much integrated into one component as possible. As much as I hate how my 665 works, I like how it was designed- and how it SHOULD work if it wasn't faulty.

$800 and a DOWNGRADE? no thanks. I'd rather renew my 2720, buy a cheap XM radio, and use the money I save for gas.

I'll be watching to see how the other features of the 590 work though.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just got one and have to say I prefer it over the 665. I feel like it's a cheaper option vs having XM as that's a subscription-type recurring cost. There are several options for music, line-in, pandora, mp3, bluetooth and I've been relying on MP3 more even on the 665. I only really wanted the weather from XM but you can't just get that without the extra money for the music... A small $4 one-time charge and the smartlink app on your phone and you get the same type of weather alerts/info. Yes, you do need to have cell service to get it so there's always a catch but not a big deal to me.

It's much faster and you can drag your finger along the screen on all the screens and it scrolls like your phone vs having to use arrows to scroll up/down..

The screen is slightly larger than the 665 and looks very nice. I don't know how well it is in the sun yet. The bluetooth connections appear to work much faster and smarter than on the 665 if that makes any sense.

The system itself is a lot faster and more responsive and I used to think the 665 was fast. You can get to the mini usb port via an easy rubber weather cover/flap vs having to take the back cover off.

You can customize lots of options so you don't have to traverse lots of screens to get to a particular function. You can save your searches like "State Parks" and then touch and hold that search/icon and move it around on your screen.

The main screen is a lot like the 550 'dash' look but you have a menu that you can press and always how 'trip data' with 3 customized items such as speed/arrival time/distance to dest/ etc... There's also media player/weather/brightness and several other options from the menu that can pop up for that data.

The cradle is similar to the 665 but beefier, however it needs to be as this one is heavier and larger.

So far, I like it.

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
I am not sure how to describe the screen. it sorta looks like it is more gray scale than color. I have not had it in the sun much as we had lost the sun for a bit and then I was not able to ride so I can not answer that question real well yet. tomorrow should be good and I am going to get out for the day so I will know more tomorrow

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
You can use the Smartlink app to your phone and then the XM phone app to stream XM radio though the 590. http://www.siriusxm.com/android

For those wanting weather/traffic....the Smartlink to your phone does that too....and the price is a lot more reasonable than the old Garmin options for those services (and better). http://gpstracklog.com/2012/06/garmin-smartphone-link-review.html

It will depend a bit on your phone's capabilities/compatibility.

The nice RAM holder that does a great job holding a variety of waterproof phone cases/w phone is about $60, if you include a suction cup assy. that can be used on an auto windshield. It can be used in many ways...not just on the bike. X-grips. http://www.rammount.com/Products/XGriptradeMounts/tabid/4687/Default.aspx

And....I like the fact that you can do a phone search for location and send that to the Garmin. That's a lot easier than doing a search on the Garmin's limited database and hoping you'll get a hit.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The 590 is better in direct sunlight. Don't expect the high contrast like reading printed paper inside your house, it's still an opaque-like screen but you can see it with a lot less glare than the 665 has.

Another interesting thing I found out... it has a sleep-mode. If you turn off your bike there's the typical count-down like on previous zumos and those typically count down to the unit turning off, if you want it to stay on you hit the cancel or stay on button.. With the 590 it has a cancel button you can hit or it will go in sleep-mode at the end of the count down. It does not turn off unless you press and hold the power button. In sleep-mode, it supposedly uses very little power and the cool thing is when you turn your bike back on and supply power, it instantly turns back on and connects all the peripherals like blue-tooth connected devices.

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
I agree with Mellow the sleep function is nice it is almost like instant on. I am not sure how much power it uses but it says very little power draw? I guess time will tell. so far there is not much I do not like about it. the screen is easy to see in sun light as it does not get washed out. the only thing I have found so far that I do not care for is
it will give a notice it has found a blue tooth device. which is in a car close to you. and that screen will NOT go away until you tell it NO do not connect. I am sure it is a setting somewhere but so far I have not found it. I guess it is time to send support a note and ask how to shut that off or something.
so far I am very happy with it. the processor is way fast. calculating goes much faster
the only other thing I did not care for is there is not a way to lock it. it does remove from the cradle very easy but that would be true for a thief as well

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I feel like it's a cheaper option vs having XM as that's a subscription-type recurring cost.
Isn't your smart phone also a subscription-type recurring cost? I agree with dropping the SiriusXM service if you're already paying for a smart phone ... you're eliminating one cost. With my pre-paid cell service and the SiriusXM monthly fees to receive NavWeather on my Z665, my annual cost is about $325.

The smart phones are quite interesting, and there may come a day when I switch over, but there's no hurry. Why? Camera-equipped devices are prohibited from my place of employment.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Isn't your smart phone also a subscription-type recurring cost? I agree with dropping the SiriusXM service if you're already paying for a smart phone ... you're eliminating one cost. With my pre-paid cell service and the SiriusXM monthly fees to receive NavWeather on my Z665, my annual cost is about $325.

The smart phones are quite interesting, and there may come a day when I switch over, but there's no hurry. Why? Camera-equipped devices are prohibited from my place of employment.
Since I don't use a cell phone for just a cell phone, a smart phone is a better option for me. I haven't eliminated the recurring cost, just reduced it, but even yours is annual.. LOL

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Another interesting thing I found out... it has a sleep-mode. If you turn off your bike there's the typical count-down like on previous zumos and those typically count down to the unit turning off, if you want it to stay on you hit the cancel or stay on button.. With the 590 it has a cancel button you can hit or it will go in sleep-mode at the end of the count down. It does not turn off unless you press and hold the power button. In sleep-mode, it supposedly uses very little power and the cool thing is when you turn your bike back on and supply power, it instantly turns back on and connects all the peripherals like blue-tooth connected devices.

This is nice. On certificate rides I like to keep tabs on moving and overall average. If I forget to hit the button when I stop to keep my GPS powered on, my overall average isn't accurate.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
So are you guys using ear-buds plugged into the jack on the mount, or are you using a BT headset? And if a Bluetooth headset, which make and model?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So are you guys using ear-buds plugged into the jack on the mount, or are you using a BT headset? And if a Bluetooth headset, which make and model?
I'm using the SMH10 BT headset.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I've got two big waterproof speakers mounted on the Handle Bars right next to my Big Gulp Cup Holder. I want to Share My Music with The Whole World.

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
well I went to the black hills this week-end
IMG_0191.jpg
I got to use the 590 more and get use to it. a couple of things I really like is that the processor is very fast. it takes no time at all to plan the route. now I am comparing it to my old zumo 550.
also the volume for music, phone, ext is much louder than the 550 would ever go. I am only running the volume at about 3-4 and it is loud
I had loaded Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha dealers in the lower 48 so it tells me when I am close
but it must have other things loaded that I am not aware of. because 2 times it chimed of and told me there was a school zone. 1 I seen but the other I did not see. summer session so it may have saved me a ticket
all in all I am pleased with it. I got in one of those SD buckets of rain and it came through just fine.
it's a keeper

I did see a silver ST about a mile from Rushmore. anyone from here

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Don, does it automatically route you to ice cream on hot days? :D

I read that the Garmin TPMS provides pressure indication/alarms, but does it also read tire temperature? (I'm guessing 'no', but just wanted to confirm).

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
ha ha
ice cream ? no problem. can do

I can not answer about the tpms as I do not have them installed yet. I ordered them but have not installed yet. will report back as soon as I know
my guess is pressure yes, temp no

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
John, no on the tire temp. About the 590s connection to communication systems....

I have been using the Autocom ProAVI since it was first introduced. It's just been terrific. Quality all the way round. Before the Zumo 590, I was using the Autocom with my Zumo 550. I had long used XM with good success but it just stoped making sense money wise. I often used MP3 and audio books through my Zumo 550. Also radar detector, GRMS/FRS radio and phone. The phone was hooked up via Bluetooth with Autocom's older BT dongle. It worked, but was a pain. Every bike start involved making the connections between the various components....IN A CERTAIN order/manual BT connection...for the BT to work though both the Autocom and the Zumo. Last week I contacted Bryan at Autocom America and talked to him about the Zumo 590. Autocom was worried about connectivity because they were not clear about the connections available on the unit. I filled him in on what was available on the wire harness and they were relieved. The 590 wire harness is the perfect length for the ST. The USB part of the cable is a bit long but a single twist in the boot gets it placed perfectly. It's great that the pillion rider has access to USB power at the back of the bike. After my conversation with Bryan, He's sending me an updated cable to make the connections between the Zumo and the Autocom. He's also sending me the newer BT dongle...which should make connecting at start up automatic....no more manual reconnection every time you turn the bike off and on. The guys at Autocom are terrific to work with. http://autocomdirect.com/

PS I'm soon to upgrade to the new Autocom Super Pro Automatic and my Pro AVI will be for sale. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom