Interested in your first Long Distance Challenge? Check this out!

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
One of my proudest moments of my motorcycling life was when I finally successfully completed my first SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 Hours) and gained membership into the Iron Butt Association. While there are many members of the IBA on this and most other forums, there may also be some here who are interested in seeing how far they can safely ride a motorcycle but aren't ready to commit to a 1000 mile day (yet). Today while reading the latest issue of "Iron Butt Magazine" I found out about a ride called the "Butt Builder 500" . It is a ride of 500 miles in 12 hours or less. So while it is only half as far, you are still under the same relative time constraints. Now, the fine print here is that you won't qualify for membership in the IBA however, for $25 you can get a Butt Builder 500 pin and your name on the finishers website http://buttbuilder.org/ . The ride is done with the same paperwork requirements as a SaddleSore, however you only need one witness who knows you did the ride. Hopefully this stepping stone will help get more people from "someday I will do that" to "Yeah, I did that!"

I plan on doing my first 1000mile ride at the Lake Huron SS1k in June. This 500 sounds great but can't seem to find anything other than a results page on the link supplied. Am I correct that it doesn't have to be done at a scheduled ride.....can be done anytime as long as you follow the rules for the SS1K listed on the Iron Butt Rides and Rules page?

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I plan on doing my first 1000mile ride at the Lake Huron SS1k in June. This 500 sounds great but can't seem to find anything other than a results page on the link supplied. Am I correct that it doesn't have to be done at a scheduled ride.....can be done anytime as long as you follow the rules for the SS1K listed on the Iron Butt Rides and Rules page?
Most of the Iron Butt Association rides are able to be done anytime you want. They do this so you aren't forced into doing something you aren't ready for just because you are scheduled to do it. The big difference with a scheduled event is that generally the varification process is easier and you get your "swag" faster. Two years ago Kendoo and I both participated in the "Battlefield 1000" at the IBA Daytona party, we completed our rides in the early morning hours of Friday and we had our certificates in our hands by 6pm that night. When you do a non scheduled ride it could take 4-6 months to get certified depending on the time of year and how busy the scoring teams are.

Most of the Iron Butt Association rides are able to be done anytime you want. They do this so you aren't forced into doing something you aren't ready for just because you are scheduled to do it. The big difference with a scheduled event is that generally the varification process is easier and you get your "swag" faster. Two years ago Kendoo and I both participated in the "Battlefield 1000" at the IBA Daytona party, we completed our rides in the early morning hours of Friday and we had our certificates in our hands by 6pm that night. When you do a non scheduled ride it could take 4-6 months to get certified depending on the time of year and how busy the scoring teams are.
Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom