Do BS 023's such or do ST's eat tires???

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
I try not to suggest this but seeing how quickly you go through tires, you may want to try darkside. Until you have tried it, don't discount them in the corners. I LOVE twisties and burned through tires when I first got the ST. Now that I have converted, my last few front tires averaged 22k each, and my current rear (Goodyear Triple Tread) had around 46k miles on it with some life left. A few weekends ago I was riding twisty roads in WV and bent my highway peg bracket by leaning over too far. Scraping pegs is common. It makes no sense...but it works.

On the Dragon a couple years ago.

dragon01.JPG
Nice, I might be game and will chat with Kimball about his local results on the darkside. What is you DS preference?

btw I'm Diesel Dummy on a few Benz forms. :)

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
image.jpg
This 023GT has just under 6k and is about to get swapped, new 020 OEM's (which have given me me 7 to 8k consistently) await at my friend's shop. I have a trip coming up and I'm concerned I'll be through wear bars.

Last edited:
Just ordered a new T30 GT for the rear. I blame Kimball.
Funny, I have a T30GT in the house but I ordered a PR4GT for TMAC just to see if it handles wear better with the new suspension. My last T30GT lasted a whole month which was acceptable with the VFR but not cool with the ST. A rear tire change on the Viffer was 15 minutes. An hour and change for the ST with cleaning and greasing the splines and time to get to the wheel and reassemble.

If you can ride the ST sanely, but still fun, you can get 5K fun miles out of a T30GT and you get a tire that is really well built which is important on a heavy beast like the ST. On tour last summer I had fun riding over 4,800 miles of mostly mountain roads (maybe 500 highway miles) at a good clip on the T30GT.

This nonsense is kinda hard on tires...

ST Cogent.JPG

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I second ham-fisted but that said the regular 023 isnt enough tire for the heavy weight ST....023 GT is fine and I got 8-10 thousand out of set of GTs...Are there better tires for the ST?...Mebbe...My only experience was with the 023s and 023GTs...Keep in mind the ST is NOT a sport bike ...It is a sport/touring bike....Like everything else in life there is a price to be paid for boundry jumping....Bill

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
I second ham-fisted but that said the regular 023 isnt enough tire for the heavy weight ST....023 GT is fine and I got 8-10 thousand out of set of GTs...Are there better tires for the ST?...Mebbe...My only experience was with the 023s and 023GTs...Keep in mind the ST is NOT a sport bike ...It is a sport/touring bike....Like everything else in life there is a price to be paid for boundry jumping....Bill
I will be very surprised to get 1200 miles out of the BT023GT ! I can only hope the T30 GT last twice as long.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My ST is used specifically for long distance riding and rallying, and it is always loaded with a top box, aux fuel cell, and the tools and spares that are typical for this kind of riding. That said, I can get 12,000 miles from a rear tire without too much difficulty. I have had very good luck with Michelin PR3's and now PR4's, as well as Dunlop Roadsmart II's. I expect any of those tires to last at least 10,000 miles.
I expect a fresh set of Pilot Road 4's to last for the entire Iron Butt Rally this June. (11,000 miles in 11 days)
IMAG0025.jpg

Garry

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
I can only dream about tires that last even 4k with how I like to ride and I ride the ST like the Sport Bike that it is. :D

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
You ain't gonna get 4k out of any rear MC tire on a ST1300 the way you ride. I never have either. About 3.5k is my max ever.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I can only dream about tires that last even 4k with how I like to ride and I ride the ST like the Sport Bike that it is. :D
I can only repeat what I said before....The ST is not a sport bike it is a sport touring bike and that is a huge difference..Like 2 to 300 pounds difference and that extra weight contributes to tire wear if the ST is ridden aggressively....Hey it's your bike...It's your wallet...Ride it like you want regardless of opinions here....Bill

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Oh and Bailey keep in mind that the vast majority of riders are posers and BS artists so ride your own ride and don't place too much importance on any of our opinions ...LOL

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Kev I can go through a set of tires not quite as quick as you can but with the st I can wear them out rather quickly , going to try the angel gts which seem by all accounts softer rubber and will let you kn ow how they work .

I got less than 1,500 miles out of my latest rear T-30GT on my ST. I got 1,280 miles out of my last rear S-20 on my CB500F. I got 1,850 miles out of my last rear Dunlop Q3 on my NC700x. All of the tires looked new in the center and have no tread on the sides. The great myth that weight and power destroys tires is just a myth. Corner speed kills tires. Ground clearance and weight are the major determining factors of a given bike's corner speed potential and the faster you go the higher the tire wear. Any of my bikes will strip the side tread of both front and rear tires in less than a thousand miles if all I did was sport ride except maybe the Tiger 800. The narrower tires on the Tiger seem to handle abuse a little better.

Riding style dictates tire wear.

KEB

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I got less than 1,500 miles out of my latest rear T-30GT on my ST. I got 1,280 miles out of my last rear S-20 on my CB500F. I got 1,850 miles out of my last rear Dunlop Q3 on my NC700x. All of the tires looked new in the center and have no tread on the sides. The great myth that weight and power destroys tires is just a myth. Corner speed kills tires. Ground clearance and weight are the major determining factors of a given bike's corner speed potential and the faster you go the higher the tire wear. Any of my bikes will strip the side tread of both front and rear tires in less than a thousand miles if all I did was sport ride except maybe the Tiger 800. The narrower tires on the Tiger seem to handle abuse a little better.

Riding style dictates tire wear.

KEB
Well, if you lived in Orange County FL you'd be hard pressed to find the type of roads to strip the side of tires off in 1500 miles.....there are some roads like that around Orlando connected by many more miles of roads that are a lot less stressful on tires. If you live in the middle of the Smoky Mountains then that's a different kettle of fish.

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
I can only repeat what I said before....The ST is not a sport bike it is a sport touring bike and that is a huge difference..Like 2 to 300 pounds difference and that extra weight contributes to tire wear if the ST is ridden aggressively....Hey it's your bike...It's your wallet...Ride it like you want regardless of opinions here....Bill
Thanks Bill!
I know I have to Pay to Play, but holy moly. I decided to not push another ride on the 023GT and pulled it off with less then 900(nine hundred) miles on it as the left side was about wiped clean.
But when I pulled the wheel off last I found the Driven Bearings to be toast so I'm headed off to pick up a pair of 6905-2RS HCH(6905RS Koyo) before I can try the T30 GT this weekend. :confused:

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
OK, I was off a little. Turns out i actually have 1100 miles on this BT023gt rear, I didn't think it was worth the risk of getting in another several hundred mile ride in on the tire safely. So I popped on a new BT T-30 GT rear to match the front, but found the Driven bearing toast. So after replacing the bearings i'm ready to test the new rear.

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OK, I was off a little. Turns out i actually have 1100 miles on this BT023gt rear, I didn't think it was worth the risk of getting in another several hundred mile ride in on the tire safely. So I popped on a new BT T-30 GT rear to match the front, but found the Driven bearing toast. So after replacing the bearings i'm ready to test the new rear.
Bet you will find the wear just about the same as your 023GT tire.

Top Bottom