What is the appeal of long distance trips?

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
SToc events, organized events? Attend one or two there is no other side than social.
"organized : having a formal structure,especially to coordinate or carry out for widespread activities"

When I looked up STOC events on the forum I went for the next one occuring, and found a list of found a list of meeting times, places, and routes for items during the event.
Seemed to have a structure (however loose) for activities to me.

But I'm not saying you point is entirely without merit, so I plan on attending DixieSTOC next week, and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I plan on attending DixieSTOC next week, and we'll see what happens.[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
You and Paul might be the only ones there.

Me: What is the appeal of eating ice cream?

Them: It's great but it would be best if you just tried it instead of pondering possible outcomes.

Me: OK, I think I'll try some soon.

There.......problem solved in the above scenario.

Hope to see you at ArkanSTOC next year, a good example of a disorganized event that is a reasonably far distance from your abode.

Mike

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Back in the day when I was riding a fair amount, a really long day in the saddle (1,200 miles or so) was a great way to de-stress. On my last one, I was down in Indio, CA helping a friend with some remodeling work. Five pretty hot days in early September and then it was time to head back home. Left Indio about 6AM and enjoyed a nice sunrise and then back home snuggling with Maggie about 20 hours later. And having a Russell definitely helps!

John

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Getting back to the original question:

Re: What is the appeal of long distance trips?

1. Having fun!
2. Riding new roads
3. Riding favorite roads again
4. Seeing old friends
5. Making new friends
6. Riding
8. Campfires
9. Something else
10. Having more fun!
+1
11. Natural attractions and sites
12. Experiencing other cultures and communities
13. Adventure that Mother Nature provides
14. Having fun
15. The list goes on...

OP
OP
Bilko
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Me: What is the appeal of eating ice cream?
Them: It's great but it would be best if you just tried it instead of pondering possible outcomes.
Me: OK, I think I'll try some soon.
There.......problem solved in the above scenario.
LOL - this is a $8k+ scoop of ice cream, that in my opinion, warranted confirmation of the flavor, but I've received this in spades from this thread and will be diving in with both feet!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
LOL - this is a $8k+ scoop of ice cream, that in my opinion, warranted confirmation of the flavor, but I've received this in spades from this thread and will be diving in with both feet!
Good for you! :clap2:

Just remember, not all things you enjoy come easy! Sometimes when you're out riding many miles from home, you'll be thinking, what am I doing? .... it will them hit you, wow, this riding thing is GREAT! :D

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
and----like eating ice cream---riding is better shared with friends

Bike
R1200rt
The enjoyment for me is taking roads off the beaten track. This summer I went out to Banff Alberta from Southern Ontario, rarely did I ride on multi lane highways. You can still go at a fiar pace on the two lane highways, the scenery is usually better, and the bike has plenty of power to quickly pass (when safe) slower moving vehicles. YMMV
plus 1

Bike
R1200rt
what about pie??

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Most of my riding is alone--especialy my 80 miles each way to work everyday. Long distance trips I prefer company.

For myself I find that when I get far enough away from home that no one can reach me and if they could it would still be at least a day before I could return I totally relax. I don't worry about having to conform to the expectations of people that know me. I can be myself without checking in with the social mores I've acquired. When travelling alone strangers are more likely to approach, the farther from home the more likely if they see by my tag I'm hundreds of miles from home. Most of my closest friends were made when travelling long distance although they are all motorcyclists too. I also enjoy the different landscapes, architecture, wildlife and foods. I find riding the same roads around home depressing unless I'm racing myself. And that is another advantage of long distance travel, I've never been ticketed.

Bike
2012 St 1300
I am ALL about taking the motorcycle.................all day long... Hate being in the car and not enjoying the smells, the wind and the camaraderie

I ride all year long and get disappointed when I cant take my ST. And I too.........like to get from A to B but the journey is soooooooooo much more fulfilling on two wheels. PERIOD

tm

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I am not trying to be obnoxious, I just haven't been on any long distance motorcycle trips (all day, multi-day trips). I've been on plenty of long distance (multi-day) car trips and frankly, don't enjoy them very much. I'm more of a get from A to B as quickly as possible type of traveler in a car.
In my opinion, this could be your first “mistake” – traveling (long distance) by car from A to B. It’s not traveling, it’s commuting. Try to travel on non-interstate routes. Use smaller highways instead, with plenty of reasons (nice views, memorials, parts of history…) to make stops. And meet a people at the stops. Make the time on the road part of your travel, part of your vacation. If you still prefer to get to B as soon as possible than it is commuting and I’m not sure a bike will help you with that. Quite opposite because you’ll try to get to B ASAP, you’ll rush yourself and – it’s the best way for a disaster.
Regardless what other say, driving in a car can be also fun, same as riding a bike. It’s state of mind. I was thinking pretty much the same until one day I took by car the same route I usually take by bike. Slow roads, lots of nice views… And I really enjoyed. On the bike it’s like somebody mentioned “be a part of the movie”. But in car I saw couple things I didn’t see on the bike because in the car you can take your look off of the road a little bit longer then on the bike, you can turn your whole body left, right and around much easier and safer in a car then on a bike. So, what am I saying is you can definitely enjoy in car (almost) like on a bike. Of course, don’t get me wrong, I prefer my bike over my car. And many times, if I can’t get out for a ride – I’ll stay at home, I’m not gonna get into my car. So, traveling and riding (driving) are two different things that overlap a lot.

I plan to purchase a motorcycle before the end of this year, and I've been thinking how fun it would be to go on long distance trips on it.
If you plan to buy a bike regardless of your long distance experience, it’s ok. But if the main reason for your purchase is the LD – try some long distance rides first before you invest (and eventually waste) your money. Rent a bike for a day. Or, even better, for a whole weekend. Make couple hundreds of miles. Rent for a week and visit your brother and sister and see how it looks. In my opinion that is the right way.

Am I way off on this? I hope so, I am hoping most of you enjoy long distance in a motorcycle where you hate it in a car.
I think ALL of riders on this forum enjoy LD. That’s what are STs are made for. For Touring. Although, don’t know for others but I DON’T hate traveling in my car. Not at all. :)

My 2 cents…

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Interesting thread, great reading. Thanks all for sharing your thoughts.

You'll know if your an LD rider when . . . your credit card is declined at the fuel pump. ;)

Shuey

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Only on thread #20, but ....I wanted to say " THANK YOU" for asking the question and for the thoughtful comments I've seen so far. To me, this entire thread should become a "STICKY" somewhere as it is a current version of " WHY WE RIDE"....even better than the movie!.

With all the insightful comments, I have no doubt you'll make a decision that fulfills what you want to get out of traveling. I'm hoping it ends up being on two wheels. I was a late bloomer....as I'm over the 1/2 century mark in age, but only 5 years of motorcycling (2 on a VTX1300). All I can say is that there isn't a week that goes by that my thoughts fade to the fact that I wish I'd started sooner, but am very thankful that I found motorcycling when I did. Best wishes for coming to a conclusion that exceeds your hopes and dreams for traveling between points A and B....there are many points in between :)

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I took a trip last week to NC. 750+ short, easy miles to get there. Riding all day, every day while there, and then a lonnnnggg 750 miles home.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
why do you ride a bike? for me it is being closer to the elements - rain, sun, snow, wind etc.
In a car you are watching a movie, on a bike you are part of that movie ( I don't know where that quote is from but its not mine)
It ain't a quote, its a religion... ;-)

However...
When attempting to start long bike travels, I'd start small... explore a few back-roads in your neighbourhood, slowly increase the circle to get one with the bike, then a couple of 1 day, 2 day trips, etc... it can take a while to build the mental and physical condition to focus on riding over longer time, deal with the different ergos and the elements... for the untrained already 2~3 hours of riding are absolutely exhausting... worse in sophisticated, very twisty terrain...

I'd definitely attend some motorcycle safety lessons... such a training is hard work, pretty exhausting but benefits a priceless gain in bike control, thus confidence, thus joy when out on the road...

I'd also start with a good, experienced rider as "mentor" on the first few trips, preferable with an alike motorcycle, at least of identical fuel range... he'll have a lot of brilliant tips and tricks, you can look and learn on his road/traffic awareness and bike control in numberless situations, the team adds safety, confidence and fun to the task...
Learn to observe yourself, how to recognize that you're tired, dehydrated, hungry, cold, too warm... to instantly discern that you're not focussed and why, and how to deal with it...

And during a longer trip you'll always sag on the 3rd day, strange effect, but that's how it is... ;-)

Also don't entangle into too many tasks, rather avoid stress factors... like riding and photography/filming doesn't go well together, or trying to visit too many sightseeing-points in too few days...

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
...during a longer trip you'll always sag on the 3rd day, strange effect, but that's how it is... ;-)
Not being all that experienced in motorcycling I could not have told you that was true in this context but I know it to be true on bicycle trips and other vacations. It seems to take two days to really start decompressing, and that third day really smacks you. Rest up, take it easy, plan a short day or a no-agenda day and let your mind and body tell you where the limit of enjoyability is. Don't go past it because you have too much of an agenda.

Also don't entangle into too many tasks, rather avoid stress factors... like riding and photography/filming doesn't go well together, or trying to visit too many sightseeing-points in too few days...
+1

Top Bottom