Helmets Settle for cheap and ugly or wait for the helmet I want? Bell RS-1 Liner?

Bike
Supere Tenere
I went to the IMS show here in Portland and tried on a nice Bell RS-1, white Liner XL helmet. I already have a Bell Star and a Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet. I wear XL in both of those and the fit in the RS-1 XL was perfect. I'm wanting an RS-1 as it's quieter than my Star and this model is being discontinued. I walked away from the one I really wanted at the show when the Bell booth had it on sale for $229 knowing that I'd seen other discontinued RS-1s for less than $200 and they refused to go down a little more. Now I'm kicking myself.

All I can find online are ugly and downright ugly. It seems the white Liner model came out in 2014 and it's not being discounted yet. I don't have any big rides planned until after January so I can wait but I'm hoping I'll get more choices before these all disappear. I'm trying to buy white helmets these days as they are more visible and I just like them better. I have several visors for my Star that will go on the RS-1 including the Transitions shield that auto-darkens. My Bell Star is still a great helmet but the vents are noisy and it's noisy in general. After four years, I'm due for an upgrade.

Downright ugly? XL Airtrix Meltdown $185 on eBay

Just Ugly? XL Emblem $185 on eBay

And of course, the one I want is still $399 everywhere.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I bought a Bell helmet at the Chicago MC show a few years back.
Was never happy with it, the quality was cheap, just never comfortable.
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Shoei, from Revzilla. $450 but worth every penny.

A world of difference in quality, fit, and way quieter.
The Bell has sat unused on the shelf ever since.

Treat yourself to a decent helmet, you will forget what it cost, and enjoy it on every ride ;).

OP
OP
pnelson
Bike
Supere Tenere
Thanks larryg but I love my Bell Star. The MX-9 Adventure helmet is darn good too for off-road and backcountry discovery type rides I go on.

I've crossed the country several times and ridden thousands of miles with my Star. I've had several other brands including Shoei and Arai and like my Star just fine. The ONE best thing about it is the Transitions photochromic shield. There are some entry-level helmets that Bell makes that may not compare with other high end brands but the Star and RS-1 are right up there, especially when they are being discontinued at less than $200!

;-) Paul

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'm loving my Neotec as well. If you're stuck on the Bell, then I would wait and get the one I wanted....... nothing worse than stuck with a helmet you don't like for the next 5 years........

I'm not gonna try to talk tou off Bell, have no clue about them. Some people here and elsewhere spoke highly of them.
You asked a question about ugly, well, yes, these are not beautiful by my standards, but the last 2 are not bad looking. The decal/logo ain't bad looking. But then again I wear hi viz because the same reason.
Kabuto Kamui is my choice, fine lid, I paid $249 @ Revzilla, worth every penny!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pnelson
Bike
Supere Tenere
Check out Sportbike Trackgear Closeouts same ones you are looking at. $169.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/motorcycle-helmets-closeouts

I have the "just ugly" Emblem which personally I think is better looking than the White Liner. To each his own. Bought mine when they first came out and paid a lot more than the $169.

Both available in XL right now.
Thanks - I've just bookmarked that site. Yes the Emblem is looking pretty good but I'll hold out for the Liner if I can. That's a killer price at $169 and that includes free shipping.

I've done a lot of reading on colors and when I'm riding, I'm trying to see which helmet colors draw my attention. Yellow and hi-viz stand out but so does white.. My only problem with the Emblem helmet is that the colors are broken up with lines and logos and while they look good (IMO) it also camouflages the helmet against its surroundings. Let's just hope I'm not being too picky and end up with nothing. If I were leaving on a big trip this month, I'd get the Emblem and call that a great deal on a $400 helmet!

I AM sticking with Bell as I already have two Transitions visors ($100+ each) and the venting, comfort, lack of fogging and overall quality are the best I've seen. Bell also has a five-year warranty.

Thanks for the site!

I can understand staying with Bell then.
Make sure you try Revzilla pricing and availability too, great folks that love to help!
And to me, the breaking up of the white with the logo is not that bad, but, if you can, just hold out for the exact one.
I did the same as you, watching helmets and colors that blend and hide. I have been watching for a while, to me, hi viz just pops! Yellow or orange, they both really pop! I rode in the truck to the mountain this summer on a camping vacation, high vis was the only thing that didn't seem to just get lost in the back ground. Now, I am partial to bright colors, some hate it, but my jackets and helmet are hi viz. But if you want people that are actually LOOKING to see you, throw some briteness out there, lights and lids are 1st to be seen!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had the Star and quickly sold it after wearing it for a few hours. Great helmet....just didn't fit my head. Tried on the RS-1 and it (for me) the best fitting helmet I've ever tried on....and I've tried on dang near every make and model in a search to fit my odd shaped XL head. The RS-1 felt like a very snug pillow....not a single hint of a hot spot. You are right about the transition visor as well.....phenomenal. My wife has one on her Bell Vortex and I'm very jealous. I'm in the same boat as you with the RS-1.....trying to decide which colour while being tempted by blowout prices on not so desireable colours/schemes.
Don't forget that Bell uses the same shell size for their larger helmets. Meaning that if you see an RS-1 helmet with the colour you want and it's too large or too small (xxl or large) and it's at a great price, you might consider paying an extra $30 and get the appropriate liner to make that helmet an xl.
Don't forget to look up here in Canada....your US$ is crushing our CAN $ and we do have kimpex trying to blowout odd sized RS-1's.... http://www.kimpex.ca/en-ca/motorcycle/helmets?sortBy=&prodPerPage=12&productType=&priceMin=&priceMax=&inLiquidation=inLiquidation&&brand_Bell=Bell&page=3

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Mrs and I did the MC show in Sacramento yesterday - good thing weather was perfect and lots of riders attended - today rain rain! - but the helmets offered these days color schemes and patterns regardless of brand....I just want a full face maybe modular solid red to match my VFR 800 (italian red) - Cycle gear had some in stock....Shoei $450 buckerroos - perhaps it's the times - dont find many appealing at all these days.

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Downright ugly? XL Airtrix Meltdown $185 on eBay
Ugly?!?!? C'mon!!!!!
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=168379&d=1444845912

:D

After reading the great reviews about RS-1, and the chance to buy something worth $450 for just $150, the design didn't play a big role anymore. I'm not crazy about the design at all, but I'm cheap b*****d and I prefer good and ugly for $150 over good and nice for $450. :D

Although, if you have a chance (I didn't) to test the helmet on 70 mph and up - I found it REALLY noisy. And when you close the top vent, the plastic part that actually close the vent start vibrating and making not loud but rather annoying noise. Almost to the point to put duct tape over it. If I new I would never buy it. Below 70 mph it's really quite. The visor is wide, fits perfect, relatively light. The crush quality I still don't know and I hope I'll never have a chance to find. ;)

Last edited:
OK, this comes from a guy who has not ridden since about '93. Is the "noisy" talk around wind noise? Can you still hear other noises like traffic and such?

OP
OP
pnelson
Bike
Supere Tenere
Ugly?!?!? C'mon!!!!!
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=168379&d=1444845912

:D

After reading the great reviews about RS-1, and the chance to buy something worth $450 for just $150, the design didn't play a big role anymore. I'm not crazy about the design at all, but I'm cheap b*****d and I prefer good and ugly for $150 over good and nice for $450. :D

Although, if you have a chance (I didn't) to test the helmet on 70 mph and up - I found it REALLY noisy. And when you close the top vent, the plastic part that actually close the vent start vibrating and making not loud but rather annoying noise. Almost to the point to put duct tape over it. If I new I would never buy it. Below 70 mph it's really quite. The visor is wide, fits perfect, relatively light. The crush quality I still don't know and I hope I'll never have a chance to find. ;)

OK, I admit, there is something cool about the Airtrix Meltdown. I just can't tell if it's growing on me or if it's a $150 induced beer goggles effect. <grin>

I'm also considering the Shattered helmet available from MotorcycleCloseouts.com for only $149 in XXL. It looks like it cost another $20-$40 to replace the XXL pads for a set of XL pads. I learned that the X, XL and XXL helmets all use the same shell size (thanks PFD023!) I've purchased several things from them in the past and always received good service.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/bell_rs-1+helmet+-+shattered

I AM afraid with this one though that all my riding buddies will be asking me if I've been shot or something.

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
OK, this comes from a guy who has not ridden since about '93. Is the "noisy" talk around wind noise? Can you still hear other noises like traffic and such?
You can hear other things and traffic, etc. But it has some level, and "sound" that bothers my ears. It's not necessary loud. Like, you're in a cinema and somebody's whispering near you. It's not loud but it bothers you, it's noisy... And it's only above 70 mph or so...

OP
OP
pnelson
Bike
Supere Tenere
The noise from my Bell Star is almost ALL from the vents. The good thing about the Star is that it flows tons of air and that keeps your head cool in the summer and keeps you from fogging in the winter as you have three different vent controls and you can dial in the amount of airflow. The downside is more vents open = more vent wind noise. On cold days, with the visor shut all the way and all the vents except the brow vent closed, it's a very quiet helmet. The other nice things about the Star are its light-weight and smoothness through the air so that when you turn your head, there's no wind-induced whiplash or buffeting even at speed. I've used this Star riding across the SW at speeds of 85+ MPH (just going with the traffic) and it was smooth and quiet.

I've taken to using a neoprene wind skirt on my Star and for $20, it's a big help making any helmet quieter and warmer but it does nothing to quieten the vents. That's why I'm looking for an RS-1. I'll still use my Star in the summer.

Windjammer II, $20 on Amazon >> http://amzn.to/1MGhbeP

Top Bottom